Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
03-04-2021, 05:00 AM   #1

Hi, still debating I what I should buy

Hi I am RJ and I am from Salem, OR.

I am debating on buying a Canon 90D or a Pentax K-1 ii. I am leaning toward the Pentax, but I was hoping for a zoom lens like the Tamron 16-300mm lens. It seems there is nothing that would work with the Pentax K-1 ii though. That disappoints me.

Anyway it sounds like the Pentax is a much better camera image wise.

03-04-2021, 06:07 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Have you done a search through the forums lens search here. Full Frame Third Party Zoom Lenses | PentaxForums.com
03-04-2021, 06:38 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy doing your research here.
03-04-2021, 06:51 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good Morning and Welcome to the Forum!!

You are considering apples and oranges. The Canon 90D and the Pentax K1 are not equivalent cameras. They use dissimilar sensor sizes. The 90D has a crop APS-c sensor, while the K1II has a full frame sensor.
  • The Pentax equivalent to the Canon 90D is either the Pentax K70 or KP - and each can use the SMC Pentax-DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 ED AL [IF] lens.
  • The Canon equivalent to the Pentax K1II is the Canon 5DmkIV.

03-04-2021, 06:53 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really know nothing about that lens, but in general lenses that range from wide angle to 200 or 300mm are not the sharpest. It seems you need to get up to 50 mm range for a wide end of a “super zoom” to get much quality. The Pentax 55-300PLM is really good, but not full frame.
03-04-2021, 07:08 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My own view is that a super zoom dedicated camera is a better choice than most “all in one” zooms for interchangeable lens cameras. For Pentax crop bodies a 16-85 plus the 55-300 Plm give much better image quality than any 16-300 on any other apsc camera.
03-04-2021, 07:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I would recommend the Pentax KP + HD DA 16-85 + HD DA 55-300 PLM. A ready-for-everything combinaison with outstanding IQ.

If you really need an all-in-one lens, the Sigma 18-300 is what is currently best for Pentax. But with an APS-C body (K-70 or KP), like the Canon 90D, but not with a full-frame body (K1 II), even if it -can- work in crop mode. That would be a waste, though, in my opinion.

03-04-2021, 08:20 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

All of the modern interchangeable-lens cameras on the market today are good ones. Every single one is a great camera; all of the lame ones have been driven out of business. That said, every camera has strengths and weaknesses. Some are more compact, some have better action-focusing systems, some are better field cameras, etc. All of them are decent "general purpose" camera systems. The two you have mentioned are wildly different in terms of trade-offs and target customer.

The truth is, no one can recommend a camera system to you unless we understand your photographic priorities. Landscapes? Astrophotography? Photos of fast-moving kids? Do you plan on starting a photography-related business? Shooting weddings? Lightweight for travel? Want photos and video? Wildlife? Sports? Birds? Macro? These are all different use cases with different suggestions. And we understand that everyone wants a camera that "does it all", and they all "do it all" more or less, but have different areas where they shine, and different areas where they lag the other systems.

You should think of the camera SYSTEM. First decide your priorities. Pick one or two things that are most important to you for photography. Pick a system that has those areas as their strengths, and choose a small number of lenses from their lineup to support those priorities.

For Pentax, our strengths are probably the very best field cameras. They are WR, very durable, good lens selection for field work, great viewfinders, SR system at all price points, backward compatibility with lenses all the way back to the screw-mount lenses. Our biggest weaknesses are tracking-autofocus of moving subjects, and a relatively weak flash system. So not the best sports camera, not the best wedding camera. You can do sports and weddings, but not the ideal system for it. Do you want to drag your camera through rain and snow and dirt, and mountain tops, and desert valleys and capture stunning landscapes in harsh conditions? Pentax is your brand.
03-04-2021, 08:25 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
For Pentax, our strengths are probably the very best field cameras. They are WR, very durable, good lens selection for field work, great viewfinders, SR system at all price points, backward compatibility with lenses all the way back to the screw-mount lenses.
WR = weather resistant, SR = shake reduction (in-camera)
03-04-2021, 09:23 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TickTockMan Quote
Hi I am RJ and I am from Salem, OR.

I am debating on buying a Canon 90D or a Pentax K-1 ii. I am leaning toward the Pentax, but I was hoping for a zoom lens like the Tamron 16-300mm lens. It seems there is nothing that would work with the Pentax K-1 ii though. That disappoints me.

Anyway it sounds like the Pentax is a much better camera image wise.
I would do more research, since it makes no sense to compare the bodies you've mentioned.

None of the recommendations here make any sense either because nobody knows what you want to do with the camera.
03-04-2021, 02:41 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I have the Pentax K-1 II. It is an amazing camera. The style, performance, and menu functionality are excellent.
03-04-2021, 02:48 PM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

some of us [ moi included ] like to give advice on how YOU should spend your money

but, as others have posted, you need to give more information about your photographic goals and interests to get good advice

do you want full frame sensor ( K 1 or K 1 II ) or ASP-C Sensor

QuoteQuote:
. . . . If mounted on a camera with a 24 x 36 mm (full frame) sensor only a 24 x 36 mm large part of the image would be captured:

With the same lens on an APS-C camera we can only capture an area 16 x 24 mm which is the size of the APS-C sensor

Read more at: The Crop Factor Unmasked - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

what other features are of interest ?

the more you want to tell us the better we can help
03-05-2021, 01:45 AM - 1 Like   #13

Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses.

I am disabled now so really I am just looking for a great all around camera and lens set up. Better image quality the better. Back when I owned a Nikon D40 I was asked a lot by people to take pics for them at their weddings so I may do that again, but for the most part I won’t be doing anything specific. I like taking pics of action sports, like skate boarding, BMX, but also flowers and honey bees.

Mostly I am just wanting something to help me pass the time. As I get better with the editing software I already bought (Adobe Photoshop Elements 2020) I want to try shooting different things, such as bonsai trees and if I can find models to let me practice, full nudes of people. If I had to pick one thing I want my camera to be great at it would be to be able to do great nude photographs with different lighting setups. That is years down the line though.

Being disabled though I won’t have the money to always be changing or adding new equipment so as I am starting from scratch right now I am wanting the best from the start that will work and be up to snuff for years to come. I know; it is a lot to want and ask for.

And the reason I wanted the Tamron 16-300mm was I kept reading it is better to not change lenses all the time to keep dust out, but also to lessen the chance of damaging the area where it changes out. Is that not something to worry about? If it is not what lenses would you recommend for the K-1 ii?

Thanks
03-05-2021, 02:47 AM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TickTockMan Quote
. . . it is better to not change lenses all the time to keep dust out, but also to lessen the chance of damaging the area where it changes out. Is that not something to worry about? . . .Thanks
thanks for all the information

I'll take the easy part

no, you don't need to worry about damaging the " the area where it changes out "

Pentax camera bodies are tough and the camera mount area is tough whether it is metal or plastic/composite

now zoom lenses can reduce the need to change the lens and changing lenses, depending on conditions could allow dust/dirt/moisture to enter but under most conditions the risk is minimal.

take a look under " lenses " above

QuoteQuote:
Pentax Lens Databases
Pentax Lens Reviews
Pentax Lens Search
Third-Party Lens Reviews
Lens Compatibility
for information on specific lenses

QuoteQuote:
. . . If it is not what lenses would you recommend for the K-1 ii?. . .
the K 1 II is Pentax's most recently developed " full frame " sensor camera body.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-k-1-ii.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-k-1-ii-review/introduction.html

so you need to look at lenses developed in the film era, or D FA lenses or DA lenses which cover the larger full frame sensor as opposed to some of the DA lenses:

take a look at this article:

QuoteQuote:
Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test
Which DA lenses cover the full 24x36 mm frame?
By PF Staff in Gear Guides on Jan 7, 2019
Read more at: Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com

reviewing this section of the forums would help you a lot too

QuoteQuote:
Useful Pentax/Photo Resources, About

This section is intended to help you with any basic questions you may have about Pentax or photography, as well as technical issues you may be experiencing with your gear. Newbies are welcome here! Feel free to ask any question, no matter now simple (or seemingly obvious), but please post each question in a separate thread!
Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/49283-u...tml#post471963

you are off to a great start, remember to have fun with your equipment and if looking for " experienced " equipment to help with budget be sure to check the forums' market place under " buy/sell " above

it can be sorted by country

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/?security...d+States&all=1

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-05-2021 at 02:59 AM.
03-05-2021, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

On a budget, I would not recommend the K1II. It's a very good camera, but the cost of camera/lenses will get very high very quickly. The cases where its image quality is significantly better are specialized cases (high-ISO, narrow depth of field, etc.) Based on what you have said, I think any camera brand will work for you. I would advise staying with the APS-C sensor size to maximize performance at a given price.

Nikon D5600, Canon90D, Fuji XT30, Sony A6400, Pentax K-70. Any of these will give you excellent performance for a reasonable price, some are DSLRs and some are mirrorless; depends on if you want to look at a little screen or the real through-the-lens image. I recommend picking one of these and getting the step-up zoom that matches. In Pentax, that's the HD-DA 16-85; Canon has the 15-85. Look for something in the 16/17 to 70/85 range or so. It's a great balance between performance and range. If you find you need longer lenses, then add that company's consumer tele lens (Pentax is the 55-300 PLM).

I often carry the K-70 with the 16-85, and it's a really good one lens/one camera combination. If you want a little more long-end, with less short end, the Pentax 18-135 is a nice lens. I generally prefer the 16-85, but I have and use the 18-135 too. The 18-135 is available with the K70 in a kit, so it can save you some money to go that way. Most of the cameras above come in a kit with a lens similar to the 18-135, and they will all be similar in image quality.