Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2021, 09:50 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Howdy... From Texas...

I'm getting back into doing a little shutter creativity as I have been out of it since the 70's. Kinda stepped off into the point and shoot digital with a couple of Canons and my I-Phone use as I got away from the film.

I have an ME Super, a Z7 and a Bronica 645 which I haven't run any film through either for many, many years and I just purchased my first DSLR, a K-3 a week ago.

I was a little overwhelmed with the K-3, first with its heft and then the user manual. Didn't know a book could be so big. Looks to be more involved than just point and shoot but I'll figure it out. I will say that the K-3 felt good in my hand right off as all my other Pentaxs did also.

Watch out grandkids, here I come.

03-04-2021, 09:55 PM   #2
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome from Australia, and good to have you aboard.
03-04-2021, 10:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Enjoy!
03-05-2021, 03:44 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to both the forum and photography the Pentax way.

03-05-2021, 05:30 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

the K 3 is a good camera

I recommend you consider getting the e book

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-3 / K-3 II eBook
Pentax K-3 / K-3 II eBook
Lifetime download access to Yvon Bourque's comprehensive Pentax K-3 / K-3 II guidebook! (PDF) Download here after purchasing
PentaxForums.com PayPal Donations
03-05-2021, 05:37 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Welcome from Greece!
03-05-2021, 07:24 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome, from a former Texan here as well. The K3 line is highly respected (I personally use the K3 II), and sometimes referred to as a tank. I guess that does apply both to durability and weight.

For a first DSLR, I can see how it could be daunting at first, so two things to help right away. You can put it into auto mode (the green line on the mode dial) to use like a point and shoot. If you get into the other modes and get confused or mess something up, the green button on the back is like a rescue button. Press it and the camera will revert the exposure settings as if you went into auto mode. If time is of the essence and you are having trouble dialing in the exposure, the green button could be the difference between an ok shot or no salvageable shot at all.
03-05-2021, 03:25 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax Forums.

03-06-2021, 06:26 AM   #9

Hi and welcome from the Garden of England. I had a kind of similar route to the K3. Started on a Zenit E, then after 7 years of "fun" an ME SUPER. What an eye opener, though the Zenit taught me so much. Then little Canon point and shoots, Panasonic Z7 bridge camera, then a K500. This made the change to the K3 a whole lot easier. After quite a lot of trial and error, you will crack the K3 and love it.
03-07-2021, 07:39 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks all for the welcome !!
Good to know about the "Green" button....
03-08-2021, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldeye Quote
I'm getting back into doing a little shutter creativity as I have been out of it since the 70's. Kinda stepped off into the point and shoot digital with a couple of Canons and my I-Phone use as I got away from the film.

I have an ME Super, a Z7 and a Bronica 645 which I haven't run any film through either for many, many years and I just purchased my first DSLR, a K-3 a week ago.

I was a little overwhelmed with the K-3, first with its heft and then the user manual. Didn't know a book could be so big. Looks to be more involved than just point and shoot but I'll figure it out. I will say that the K-3 felt good in my hand right off as all my other Pentaxs did also.

Watch out grandkids, here I come.
Welcome aboard. From western, NY. I am about your age ( turn 70 in a few weeks) but my photography lapse was only about 13 years. When I started up again and went digital in 2012 it was extremely frustrating. The manuals are complex and and not all that helpful as they contain no explanation of what all the modes do. They do do a good job of telling you how to navigate around the camera..

I was considering putting my anvil and 4 pound hammer to work at one point. This site is responsible for saving the life of a totally innocent K5. Then I took a step back and went full manual with the camera. From there I learned the various features, read a lot of the "Help" posts and started enjoying the experience again.

This site is friendly and helpful. You have a very good camera there. Since I got my K5, I also have purchased the K5-IIs, K3, K1 and K1-II. Each and every one of them have felt very natural in my hands. The two K5's have found new homes.

A great thing about grandkids ( THE GREATEST INVENTION EVER!!!!!! ) is that all the photos turn out great!

Hint ---- There is this term called bokeh I never hear of it until 2012 myself. It turns out that it means how "good" the out of focus areas look. Creamy smooth out of focus areas means the lens has good bokeh.
03-08-2021, 06:55 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum.
03-08-2021, 07:11 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Welcome, and greetings from Cape Town.

These forums can be a treasure trove of useful information. Just post any question about the K-3 on the K-3 forum.
03-09-2021, 08:19 PM   #14

Original Poster
Bokeh

Bokeh, hunh..... And I thought itís what happens when you spend all you money on photo equipment.
Had no idea it referred to the lens out of focus area.. Reading about it in numerous threads, I thought it had something to do with wavy lines..
Thanks gaweidert for that tidbit..