Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2021, 06:18 PM   #1

Hello from Kelowna

Hello, my name is Kendra, and I just turned 59. I am returning to photography after a 7 year long break. The last camera I had was a Mamiya 645 Medium Format film camera: I loved using it, but it got a bit much to carry around. I am new to Pentax, and to digital photography. Pentax has been making cameras for a long time, and I hope they will continue to do so. I bought a mint Pentax K-50 camera with the two kit lenses last week. It seems like a pretty good little camera. I know mirrorless cameras are all the rage now, but for my needs and budget, the Pentax K-50 sits at the perfect entry point. It is not a full-frame camera, but it is not a micro 4/3rds either. The APS-C sensor size seem just right for my current needs.

I intend to buy one or two prime lenses for my K-50 later this year. Pentax seems to have quite a few good prime lens options, which will make my life a bit easier. I intend to keep the overall size and weight of my camera gear fairly light, as I have a bit of a back problem (old age creeping up on me). Once I am comfortable with the ins and outs of the digital workflow process, I will start posting images. For now, I will watch and learn.

I look forward to spending time here, and getting better acquainted with everyone.

04-09-2021, 06:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum, Kendra !
Looking forward to see your pictures.
04-09-2021, 08:50 PM   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Kendra, welcome from Australia.
04-09-2021, 08:56 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The K-50 is a capable machine and I really enjoyed mine. Welcome!

04-09-2021, 11:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello Kendra,
Thanks for your great intro message! There is no shortage of beautiful scenes to photograph in your area, that’s for sure. I have a Mamiya 645 system myself that I am thinking of letting go, but what a wonderful system it is. I hope you will soon share some of the photos you make with the K50

Best regards,

Jon
04-10-2021, 03:19 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kendra59 Quote
Pentax seems to have quite a few good prime lens options, which will make my life a bit easier. I intend to keep the overall size and weight of my camera gear fairly light
Welcome! If you want a compact combo that will deliver great results, consider purchasing a DA 40mm XS lens. I think you'll be pleased with the results
Also, the marketplace here on PF is where I've purchased almost all of my "gently used" cameras and lenses.
04-10-2021, 03:37 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland.

04-10-2021, 05:44 AM   #8
Forum Member

Welcome to the forum, Kendra
04-10-2021, 06:07 AM   #9

Hello from Vancouver! :3
04-10-2021, 09:12 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kendra59 Quote
Hello, my name is Kendra, and I just turned 59. I am returning to photography after a 7 year long break. The last camera I had was a Mamiya 645 Medium Format film camera: I loved using it, but it got a bit much to carry around. I am new to Pentax, and to digital photography. Pentax has been making cameras for a long time, and I hope they will continue to do so. I bought a mint Pentax K-50 camera with the two kit lenses last week. It seems like a pretty good little camera. I know mirrorless cameras are all the rage now, but for my needs and budget, the Pentax K-50 sits at the perfect entry point. It is not a full-frame camera, but it is not a micro 4/3rds either. The APS-C sensor size seem just right for my current needs.

I intend to buy one or two prime lenses for my K-50 later this year. Pentax seems to have quite a few good prime lens options, which will make my life a bit easier. I intend to keep the overall size and weight of my camera gear fairly light, as I have a bit of a back problem (old age creeping up on me). Once I am comfortable with the ins and outs of the digital workflow process, I will start posting images. For now, I will watch and learn.

I look forward to spending time here, and getting better acquainted with everyone.
Hello Kendra and welcome to the forums!

I've only been to Kelowna once but the scenery and people were wonderful! As you are returning to photography after a few years and new to digital I would suggest purchasing Yvonne Burque book on this forum for your K-50, great resource!
04-10-2021, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
. . . Also, the marketplace here on PF is where I've purchased almost all of my "gently used" cameras and lenses.
the marketplace " buy/sell " is great

it can be sorted by country if you wish

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/?security...c=Canada&all=1

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
. . . I would suggest purchasing Yvonne Burque book on this forum for your K-50, great resource!
I agree his ebooks are great

you can get it here:

PentaxForums.com PayPal Donations

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-10-2021 at 09:25 AM.
04-10-2021, 03:57 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax Forums.
04-11-2021, 02:34 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome from Caledon, Ontario and Tumbler Ridge, BC (where I've been working the past few months). BC is indeed a photographer's paradise, as I've been discovering. You will certainly not be lacking in subject matter. Enjoy the forum. Friendly, helpful bunch here.

Regards,
Svend
04-11-2021, 05:46 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Welcome Kendra!

The K-50 sensor is very good and capable of great images.

I would like to suggest to pair it up with an affordable prime, and I think you'll start to see what it really can give you. My first suggestion is the excellent DA 35mm f/2.4 - you can get one used for 70-80 dollars.
And of course a nifty-fifty (50mm lens) is a must as well. They can be even cheaper when you go for a manual focus lens..
Your kit lenses are good for what they are but you'll really begin to see what the camera is capable of, when you get yourself a better lens, like these primes.
04-11-2021, 06:03 PM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
. . . a nifty-fifty (50mm lens) is a must as well. They can be even cheaper when you go for a manual focus lens..
Your kit lenses are good for what they are but you'll really begin to see what the camera is capable of, when you get yourself a better lens, like these primes.
hmm " nifty fifty " eh

this might make interesting reading:

QuoteQuote:
Pentax 50mm Prime Lens Shootout
Introduction
Pentax DA 50mm F1.8 vs FA 50mm F.14 vs FA 50mm F2.8 Macro

What’s so nifty about a fifty millimeter lens? . . . . First, 50mm lenses are usually at least two stops faster than most reasonably priced zoom lenses on the market. Second, the 50mm focal length has long been used on 35mm cameras for decades and enjoys some of the best utilized and corrected optical designs. Generally 50mm lenses are often the sharpest optics in the manufacturer's line. Third, most 50mm are very reasonable priced and are a great entry point to obtain a prime lens. Because of the APS-C sensor size a 50mm lens has a field of view of a short tele - it corresponds to a 75mm lens on a 24 x 36 mm (aka full-frame) camera.

Currently Pentax makes three different 50mm lenses: the SMC Pentax FA 50mm F1.4, D FA 50mm F2.8 Macro, and DA 50mm F1.8. All three can be used on digital cameras and the first two are considered full-frame lenses. . . . In this comparative review we will be taking a look at all lenses mentioned above. They are all fifty’s but which one is the nifty fifty? Read on to find out!
Read more at: Pentax 50mm Prime Lens Shootout Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-11-2021 at 06:14 PM.