Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-12-2021, 08:40 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Viking42 Quote
Welcome from Caledon, Ontario and Tumbler Ridge, BC (where I've been working the past few months). BC is indeed a photographer's paradise, as I've been discovering. You will certainly not be lacking in subject matter. Enjoy the forum. Friendly, helpful bunch here.

Regards,
Svend
Some of the models here can be hard to work with But some are also AMAZING!

04-12-2021, 10:04 AM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome

Welcome to the forum, Kendra.
04-12-2021, 11:52 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ScryNine Quote
Some of the models here can be hard to work with But some are also AMAZING!

First category: grizzly bears (definitely hard to work with; bear spray in a hip holster mandatory)
Second category: waterfalls (amazing! they say there are 75 waterfalls within a 60km radius of Tumbler Ridge! I will be seeking all of them out )

This is assuming you weren't referring to the human kind of models, that is
04-13-2021, 08:55 AM   #19

Original Poster
I want to thank everyone who posted here. What a nice welcome! I will be purchasing good used SMC 35mm f2 and SMC 50 mm lens as soon as possible. The 35mm works out to 52.5 mm on APS-C cameras, which is pretty close to a normal view equivalent. The 50 mm works out to 75 mm, which should work fairly well for occasional casual portrait work. I guess there are quite a few 50 mm lens options. I don't need auto focus, but want a really sharp 50 mm lens. What are the best options for $200 or less?

Kendra

04-13-2021, 09:44 AM   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kendra59 Quote
. . . . I guess there are quite a few 50 mm lens options. I don't need auto focus, but want a really sharp 50 mm lens. What are the best options for $200 or less?

Kendra
more suggested reading

QuoteQuote:
Manual Focus Lens Choices for Pentax
That old glass is amazing!
By K David in Articles and Tips on Jul 19, 2015
Manual Focus Lens Choices for Pentax
Pentax users have at their disposal a large variety of Pentax legacy glass, much of it manual focus. We also have brand-new manual focus lenses from makers like Samyang, Zhongyi Optical, and Venus Optics. This article looks at contemporary options, legacy K-mount lenses, M42 mount lenses, and even the uncommon M37 mount lenses. Each type of lens has uses, drawbacks, and advantages that make them good options for different scenarios.
Read more at: Manual Focus Lens Choices for Pentax - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
04-13-2021, 10:31 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I want to thank everyone who posted here. What a nice welcome! I will be purchasing good used SMC 35mm f2 and SMC 50 mm lens as soon as possible. The 35mm works out to 52.5 mm on APS-C cameras, which is pretty close to a normal view equivalent. The 50 mm works out to 75 mm, which should work fairly well for occasional casual portrait work. I guess there are quite a few 50 mm lens options. I don't need auto focus, but want a really sharp 50 mm lens. What are the best options for $200 or less?

Kendra
Kendra, if you're OK with manual focus, then a great lens is the SMC-A 50mm/1.7. These are available used for about C$60 or so, in mint shape. I have the older M-series version (no camera control of aperture), and it is outstanding, but a bit more fiddly to use on a dslr body. Most Pentax 50's are very sharp and excellent quality. A good resource is our lens review section: Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

There's a DA 50/1.8 which has autofocus, and is very reasonably priced, even new. The FA 50/1.7 is also said to be excellent, works on full frame if you ever upgrade to a K-1, and reasonably priced too.

Another option, if you can put up with a loss in speed, are the 50mm macro lenses. They cost a bit more, and start at f2.8 as max aperture, but offer the versatility of macro function. I have the autofocus D-FA 50/2.8 macro and it is excellent - my sharpest lens, with wonderful colour depth. I think I paid about $200 for mine, in mint shape. This lens also has a manual focus ring and aperture ring, so will work on my film bodies too.

Re. manual focus, as a general comment, I have found that manual focus on Pentax dslrs is not the easiest thing to work with. The focus screens are made for autofocus, so when using manual focus lenses things don't really snap into focus like they do on my film bodies. It's all a bit vague, so I end up relying on the green hexagon focus aid in the viewfinder, which I quite dislike. You may want to stick with AF lenses for now.

Hope this helps!
04-13-2021, 10:58 AM   #22

Original Poster
Kendra, if you're OK with manual focus, then a great lens is the SMC-A 50mm/1.7. These are available used for about C$60 or so, in mint shape. I have the older M-series version (no camera control of aperture), and it is outstanding, but a bit more fiddly to use on a dslr body. Most Pentax 50's are very sharp and excellent quality. A good resource is our lens review section: Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

There's a DA 50/1.8 which has autofocus, and is very reasonably priced, even new. The FA 50/1.7 is also said to be excellent, works on full frame if you ever upgrade to a K-1, and reasonably priced too.

Another option, if you can put up with a loss in speed, are the 50mm macro lenses. They cost a bit more, and start at f2.8 as max aperture, but offer the versatility of macro function. I have the autofocus D-FA 50/2.8 macro and it is excellent - my sharpest lens, with wonderful colour depth. I think I paid about $200 for mine, in mint shape. This lens also has a manual focus ring and aperture ring, so will work on my film bodies too.

Re. manual focus, as a general comment, I have found that manual focus on Pentax dslrs is not the easiest thing to work with. The focus screens are made for autofocus, so when using manual focus lenses things don't really snap into focus like they do on my film bodies. It's all a bit vague, so I end up relying on the green hexagon focus aid in the viewfinder, which I quite dislike. You may want to stick with AF lenses for now.

Hope this helps!
This is definitely good information. I am traveling to Vancouver in a week, and will see if I can pick up a couple good used AF lenses (35 mm and 50 mm). I think anything from f2 to f2.8 will suit my needs for this year.

04-19-2021, 09:20 AM   #23

Original Poster
I am going to Vancouver tomorrow, and am wondering if anyone has a suggestion for camera stores that sell used equipment? I will be stopping in at Kerrisdale Cameras, but have time to check out a couple other places too. I am trying to get at least a DA 35mm 2.4f, maybe I can stretch my budget to get a good 50 mm too.
04-19-2021, 06:52 PM   #24

I am going to Vancouver tomorrow, and am wondering if anyone has a suggestion for camera stores that sell used equipment? I will be stopping in at Kerrisdale Cameras, but have time to check out a couple other places too. I am trying to get at least a DA 35mm 2.4f, maybe I can stretch my budget to get a good 50 mm too.
Depending on what time you're around, I have the 50mm F1.8 I could sell you, or I have an older manual 50mm if you wanna get artsy!
04-19-2021, 09:16 PM   #25
Forum Member

Welcome to the forums!

The marketplace is a good place to start - what lenses are you looking for?
04-20-2021, 12:28 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum Kendra. Greetings from Greece! Stay safe and enjoy your K-50.
04-20-2021, 01:09 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum from the fenlands of England!
04-20-2021, 05:52 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you're interested, and can wait a couple of weeks until I'm back there, I'm pretty sure I have a spare SMC-M 50/1.7 in Tumbler Ridge that I could sell you. It's a very sharp, contrasty lens, but manual focus and no camera auto aperture control. Still very useable on your camera though.

It's this lens:
SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Let me know...happy to ship to you.
04-20-2021, 06:40 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Everyone is so welcoming I feel so behind now, except that your from Kelowna so I have to chime in. Lovely place you live send us lots of Pics.
04-20-2021, 08:34 AM   #30

If you're interested, and can wait a couple of weeks until I'm back there, I'm pretty sure I have a spare SMC-M 50/1.7 in Tumbler Ridge that I could sell you. It's a very sharp, contrasty lens, but manual focus and no camera auto aperture control. Still very useable on your camera though.

It's this lens:
SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Let me know...happy to ship to you.
Love this lens! :3