Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
04-12-2021, 08:53 PM   #16
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wsself Quote
Hey, thanks very much! Does everyone in the GTA get their Pentax gear online or through special order? Know of any retailers in our area where one can get their hands on the goods before buying?
Good question. I personally have no idea. I've not bought anything new of substance since I acquired my K-5 almost a decade ago. The only exception was a few accessories from B&H when I could pick them up in the US. There are others who I know buy gear more regularly who will be able to answer.

One section to check out is the Toronto sub-group. It hasn't been active for a while since it was mainly used for meeting up, but it might be a good place to post your question.

Toronto Pentaxians - PentaxForums.com

04-13-2021, 05:51 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've arrived at this forum to get more information on the new K3 III, the K1 ii, and Pentax's lineup of Limited series lenses.
Hello and welcome from Québec city!

If you want to learn more about some technical aspects, feel free to browse the forums and read the user reviews! There are also many in-depth reviews to help you along. Here are a few relating to what you mentionned:

Comparing the 3 Pentax FA Limited Primes - Hands-On Tests | PentaxForums.com

SMC Pentax-FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

SMC Pentax-FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

SMC Pentax-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Pentax K-1 Mark II vs K-1 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I assumed you were referring to the FA Limited since you mention the K-1. Otherwise, I can help you with this DA Limited (and tell you I loved my time with thee 21 and 40!)

HD Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
04-13-2021, 05:57 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hey, thanks very much! Does everyone in the GTA get their Pentax gear online or through special order? Know of any retailers in our area where one can get their hands on the goods before buying?
You might check with Downtown Camera. They usually have a couple of Pentax bodies and lenses to ogle over.

I just checked their website and they have the K1ii, K70, and KP in stock.
Downtown Camera

Nice, helpful people there too. Always a pleasure to shop there. And they really care about the film shooters in the GTA, which matters to me.

Not sure about stock at Henrys or Vistek. Personally speaking, I've rarely had good service at Henrys...they can be rather aloof and indifferent. You might have had better experience. Vistek seem to have a good crew though -- pretty honest and forthright, not pushy.

Then there's Aden Camera, but I've never shopped there so can't comment one way or another.

Good luck! Ask away if you have any questions on the models and lenses.
04-13-2021, 06:06 AM   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . . I've arrived at this forum to get more information on the new K3 III, the K1 ii, and Pentax's lineup of Limited series lenses. . . .
beware of the " limiteds "

a number of us found it hard to stop at just one limited

this thread might explain -

QuoteQuote:
the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why
the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 26 - PentaxForums.com

04-13-2021, 08:50 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Good question. I personally have no idea. I've not bought anything new of substance since I acquired my K-5 almost a decade ago. The only exception was a few accessories from B&H when I could pick them up in the US. There are others who I know buy gear more regularly who will be able to answer.

One section to check out is the Toronto sub-group. It hasn't been active for a while since it was mainly used for meeting up, but it might be a good place to post your question.

Toronto Pentaxians - PentaxForums.com
I didn't realize there was a Toronto group within this forum - good to know! Thanks!!!

---------- Post added 04-13-21 at 09:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Hello and welcome from Québec city!

If you want to learn more about some technical aspects, feel free to browse the forums and read the user reviews! There are also many in-depth reviews to help you along. Here are a few relating to what you mentionned:

Comparing the 3 Pentax FA Limited Primes - Hands-On Tests | PentaxForums.com

SMC Pentax-FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

SMC Pentax-FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

SMC Pentax-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Pentax K-1 Mark II vs K-1 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I assumed you were referring to the FA Limited since you mention the K-1. Otherwise, I can help you with this DA Limited (and tell you I loved my time with thee 21 and 40!)

HD Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Hello to you in Québec City! Canada's most photogenic city IMHO!

Thanks for taking the time to post those links with more detail on the FA Limited lenses - much appreciated! I'm looking at both the K-1 ii and K-3 iii as options. I generally like to keep my gear as light as possible and my thinking is to offset the size of these bodies with the smaller limited lenses - DA's or FA's. I'm looking forward to seeing what Pentax users create using these lenses with the K-3 iii as soon as they get it in their hands.

Cheers!

---------- Post added 04-13-21 at 09:04 PM ----------

I had a feeling that this might be the case with Limited lenses. My impression is that the Pentax owners who use them, use them almost exclusively - and vice-versa.

---------- Post added 04-13-21 at 09:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Viking42 Quote
You might check with Downtown Camera. They usually have a couple of Pentax bodies and lenses to ogle over.

I just checked their website and they have the K1ii, K70, and KP in stock.
Downtown Camera

Nice, helpful people there too. Always a pleasure to shop there. And they really care about the film shooters in the GTA, which matters to me.

Not sure about stock at Henrys or Vistek. Personally speaking, I've rarely had good service at Henrys...they can be rather aloof and indifferent. You might have had better experience. Vistek seem to have a good crew though -- pretty honest and forthright, not pushy.

Then there's Aden Camera, but I've never shopped there so can't comment one way or another.

Good luck! Ask away if you have any questions on the models and lenses.
Thanks for the heads up on Downtown Camera having Pentax bodies in-stock! They've been my go-to shop for the past five years or so and I really like their service. When things cool down with the pandemic I'll make my way down there to get a better look. Maybe by then, they'll have the K-3 iii in stock as well?

Last edited by wsself; 04-13-2021 at 09:02 PM.
04-13-2021, 09:37 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum...from David @ central Toronto area

I purchased my Kx decades ago from Blacks camera, then my K30 from Henrys years ago. In those days they actually had a demo camera in their stores. Then my K1 from Henrys in Mississauga. No demo camera. Simply pay, they order, and then pick up. To my knowledge, a couple of years ago Downtown camera and Aden camera were the only ones to actually have any Pentax stock in the store. Else it is ordering through the internet, B&H, Amazon, etc. For used equipment this forum, eBay, Kijiji, Kijiji and before Covid the Toronto Camera Show (about 3-4 X year)....Toronto Camera Shows

Regards
04-14-2021, 05:09 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My impression is that the Pentax owners who use them, use them almost exclusively
To some extent that's true with me. There's convenience associated with a a zoom, and with kids that's often reason enough. Plus lenses like the DFA 28-105 are WR, useful in many situations.

However, I find myself continuously creating reasons to use the Limited. They're much more satisfying to use than any other lens.

04-14-2021, 06:49 AM - 1 Like   #23
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
My impression is that the Pentax owners who use them, use them almost exclusivelyTo some extent that's true with me. There's convenience associated with a a zoom, and with kids that's often reason enough. Plus lenses like the DFA 28-105 are WR, useful in many situations.However, I find myself continuously creating reasons to use the Limited. They're much more satisfying to use than any other lens.
The kit currently in my bag are a DA 21 Limited, Adaptall 40A 35-135 and a K200/4. Some of us like variety
04-14-2021, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi from west of the GTA! The forum's a great resource - so many fantastic, talented people.
Downtown Camera usually has some stock, and Burlington Camera sometimes have gear... and have a ton of used and compatible stufff, and will order anything in.
I'm not sure what the current state of affairs is considering lockdwn.
04-14-2021, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Hi from west of the GTA! The forum's a great resource - so many fantastic, talented people.
Downtown Camera usually has some stock, and Burlington Camera sometimes have gear... and have a ton of used and compatible stufff, and will order anything in.
I'm not sure what the current state of affairs is considering lockdwn.
+1 to Burlington Camera (especially for old K-mount lenses). The owner there is very knowledgeable and lets you try out lenses (in the pre-Covid world) on your camera and take a few shots in-store to get a sense of the lens.

Also the whole store is a big museum of old film cameras -- some for sale, and some just for show.
04-14-2021, 06:46 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aaront Quote
+1 to Burlington Camera (especially for old K-mount lenses). The owner there is very knowledgeable and lets you try out lenses (in the pre-Covid world) on your camera and take a few shots in-store to get a sense of the lens.

Also the whole store is a big museum of old film cameras -- some for sale, and some just for show.
That's great to know. I've never been there. Worth the hour drive from Caledon it sounds like. Thanks for the tip.
04-15-2021, 09:04 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
Welcome to the forum...from David @ central Toronto area

I purchased my Kx decades ago from Blacks camera, then my K30 from Henrys years ago. In those days they actually had a demo camera in their stores. Then my K1 from Henrys in Mississauga. No demo camera. Simply pay, they order, and then pick up. To my knowledge, a couple of years ago Downtown camera and Aden camera were the only ones to actually have any Pentax stock in the store. Else it is ordering through the internet, B&H, Amazon, etc. For used equipment this forum, eBay, Kijiji, Kijiji and before Covid the Toronto Camera Show (about 3-4 X year)....Toronto Camera Shows

Regards
Hi David - thanks very much for the welcome! I'm likely going to pay a visit to Downtown Camera when the pandemic settles down. They're superb and I'd rather keep them going vs going the Amazon route.

---------- Post added 04-15-21 at 09:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aaront Quote

The museum factor alone sounds like it is worth the trek to Burlington!

---------- Post added 04-15-21 at 09:08 AM ----------

04-15-2021, 01:37 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi David - thanks very much for the welcome! I'm likely going to pay a visit to Downtown Camera when the pandemic settles down. They're superb and I'd rather keep them going vs going the Amazon route.[COLOR="Silver"]
+1 Wholeheartedly support that statement
04-15-2021, 10:09 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Welcome from Simcoe County!

I bought my K-50 from Henry's but I never got to try it ahead of time. Leap of faith, and I was happy I did. It's served me well and I was attracted to the WR of the lineup. It's now for sale but only because I got my hands on a KP at a good price.
04-16-2021, 12:36 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Welcome

Welcome to the forums!