Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2021, 08:14 AM   #1
Forum Member

Greetings from Washington DC

Hello all!

I'm a college student from the states, and i've been into photography as a hobby for about a five years now. I've been trying to take it more seriously as of late and improve my craft. Here's to sharing my journey

04-15-2021, 08:21 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome, Jeremiah! You shoot Pentax? I am impressed someone of college age would be familiar with the brand! What gear do you have?

- Jon
04-15-2021, 08:29 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

looking forward to any contributions you choose to make here

QuoteOriginally posted by jon.partsch Quote
. . . What gear do you have?

- Jon

according to the OP's profile " about me " section he has:

Pentax Cameras
K-S2

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The Pentax K-S2 was introduced in February 2015 as the little sister to the K-3. It is a mid-range, 20 MP APS-C format DSLR with Wi-Fi/NFC connectivity and, as a first for a Pentax DSLR, a swiveling rear monitor (and a 2nd shutter button for selfies). The camera is sealed for weather resistance and has two control wheels for easy adjustment of shutter speed and aperture. The camera naturally features in-body shake reduction as has been the norm for Pentax K-mount DSLRs for several years.

Tethering is supported via Wi-Fi and a smart phone and a dedicated app.

Another novelty introduced with the K-S2 is "Clarity Enhancement" — a RICOH-developed imaging technology designed to capture the subject’s texture and unevenness more truthfully and produce a more true-to-life depiction of the subject. There is also a new mode on the mode dial: A-HDR (Advanced HDR), which combines the Clarity Enhancement with the conventional HDR mode for capturing extra-wide-gradation images.

The K-S2 has no AA filter in front of the sensor, and it has the same AA sensor-share based filter simulator as the K-3. The filter simulator can be turned on if moiré is an issue in a given scene (textiles, feathers, and the like with repeating patterns).

The camera has a glass pentaprism with 100% coverage. The rear LCD monitor has been improved over previous models and is less reflective and thus easier to see in strong light.

At launch the K-S2 is the smallest weather resistant DSLR around.

The camera is available in various color combinations, some just with the bottom plate in a different color from the top plate.

Read our in-depth review of the K-S2 here.

Major features subsequently added through firmware updates:

Version 1.20: Support for lenses with KAF4 mount, i.e. lenses that have foregone the mechanical stop-down lever
Version 1.10: Update to support Image Sync version 1.0.5
Camera Manuals:

Start Guide
Operating Manual

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-k-s2.html#ixzz6s7Qg3Bwf

Photographic Equipment
Limited 15mm
Limited 35mm Macro
SMC 35mm
SMC 50mm

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-15-2021 at 08:43 AM.
04-15-2021, 08:40 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
according to the OP's profile " about me " section he has:

Pentax Cameras
K-S2

Read more at: Pentax K-S2 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Photographic Equipment
Limited 15mm
Limited 35mm Macro
SMC 35mm
SMC 50mm
Awesome! Jeremiah must be the first member ever to fill out their "about me" before posting!

The K-S2 is one of the models prone to aperture block failure, right? Don't worry, Jeremiah; there are people here to help if any problems arise with your gear.

- Jon

04-15-2021, 08:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax Forums.
04-15-2021, 06:29 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jon.partsch Quote
Awesome! Jeremiah must be the first member ever to fill out their "about me" before posting!

The K-S2 is one of the models prone to aperture block failure, right? Don't worry, Jeremiah; there are people here to help if any problems arise with your gear.

- Jon
Yeppers peppers, Jon!

I got into the brand around freshman year of high school as pentax's ruggedization and weather sealing very much appealed to extremely klutzy me. ( I once put my camera on the wrong end of my convertible tote bag and drug it across boston-logan, BWI, and union station for it to survive with barely a scratch). It's only now that I've come to explore and appreciate the brand's heritage; it's truly incredible.

So far as the aperture block that's news to me! I'm likely going to retire my K-S2 soon enough though in favor of a K3 mk iii once I can get my hands on one and/or the price drops when this silicon shortage ends. Looks like it should be a big step up and the noise performance seems top tier.

Thanks again for the kind words ��
04-15-2021, 07:02 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeremiah Griffin Quote
Yeppers peppers, Jon!

I got into the brand around freshman year of high school as pentax's ruggedization and weather sealing very much appealed to extremely klutzy me. ( I once put my camera on the wrong end of my convertible tote bag and drug it across boston-logan, BWI, and union station for it to survive with barely a scratch). It's only now that I've come to explore and appreciate the brand's heritage; it's truly incredible.

So far as the aperture block that's news to me! I'm likely going to retire my K-S2 soon enough though in favor of a K3 mk iii once I can get my hands on one and/or the price drops when this silicon shortage ends. Looks like it should be a big step up and the noise performance seems top tier.

Thanks again for the kind words ��
That is freaking awesome to hear, Jeremiah! I knew of the Pentax brand heritage but stumbled into Pentax DSLRs when I migrated away from minolta film cameras. There were no DSLRs that would take my vintage Minolta Rokkor lenses, but my favorite lens was a Tamron Adapall‐2 300mm f/2.8 model 360B that could take a K mount and be used on modern Pentax DSLRs. It was that lens alone that brought me to Pentax. I soon learned that a coworker friend of mine was a huge Pentax fan, who later became a big contribuitor to these forums. His screen name here is KDavid - you should look up his excellent articles here. We used to gab about cameras "at the water cooler" all the time.

I think it's awesome that you are tuned into some of the unique features (like extreme ruggedness) that set Pentax apart from the others, despite Pentax's basically non-existent marketing.

Anyway, welcome again, and I'm looking forward to your future contributions!

- Jon
04-15-2021, 10:04 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome!

04-16-2021, 12:35 AM - 1 Like   #9

Welcome!

Welcome to the community!

As another newly-minted member, I'm happy to see there are other photographers deciding to join in on these forum boards!
04-16-2021, 12:50 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, enjoy all that the forum has to offer.
04-16-2021, 04:58 PM   #11
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome from the Shenandoah Valley.
You can find some very high quality lenses and camera bodies here on the PF marketplace.

There are many groups here, including one for the DC-area Pentaxians. Due to COVID I don't make it into DC very often now, but I do love the wide range of locations and subjects available.

I look forward to seeing your pictures.
04-18-2021, 05:39 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeremiah Griffin Quote
Hello all!

I'm a college student from the states, and i've been into photography as a hobby for about a five years now. I've been trying to take it more seriously as of late and improve my craft. Here's to sharing my journey
Heya!

Sounds great, what kind of photography have you been doing? I'm looking to start getting more serious into photography as well, but life keeps ya busy haha
04-18-2021, 07:16 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JabroniHambone Quote
Heya!

Sounds great, what kind of photography have you been doing? I'm looking to start getting more serious into photography as well, but life keeps ya busy haha
Mostly street photography just for the sake of ease. I'm pretty interested in homelessness as a subject matter and was trying to produce some work to sell as a bit of a charity thing before the pandemic but going out became not the most practical so it's been on hold for about a year now.
04-18-2021, 07:18 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome and the best regards
from Western Australia
04-18-2021, 09:45 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hearty welcome to the forums