Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2021, 10:07 PM   #1

Long time (old?) Pentax user

Hi all,

started out with an ME-F in 1982, learned how to use all the knobs and buttons, concentrating on B&W film and setting up a dark room. A couple of years ago I got a KS-2, now doing Color & B&W and no darkroom. Still have no idea about 80 percent of the menu options in the camera. Recently got a 16-85mm that's now my standard lens, and even more recently ordered an astrotracer. Somewhere on my todo list is "learning rawtherapee", but that's been on there a couple of years now.

Lots of stuff to learn!

04-18-2021, 10:55 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
MEF? Nice!

I started with an ME Super, which I still have but always wondered about how the MEF worked. It had auto focus but could I ask how quick and accurate the auto focus was? And, as I recall, you needed a particular lens to make it auto focus. Was there only one lens available that auto focussed? Was it a battery chewer? Did other manual focus lens still work on the camera? (not as auto focus that is) and what I mean by worked is, even though you had to focus manually, could it still take pictures at a correct exposure?
04-18-2021, 11:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum. Greetings from Greece. Rawtherapee is pretty good. I have started learning it myself. You won’t be disappointed. I’d suggest you also consider darktable, if you haven’t already.
04-19-2021, 12:02 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
I feel very similar. My Olympus OM10 and lenses got pinched a couple of years after I got them, insurance wouldnt pay so I had to go second hand

Remember it well, the shop I visited had a mint ME Super and Mint OM40 - bought the Olympus

Roll forward to the K10D launch and I jumped to Pentax and sold all my lovely film stuff (should have got the ME Super after all!) Raw Therapy is one of my go to, trialling Affinity Photo currently (yet to be convinced but it is cheap)

Roll forward again and the high price of K3 iii has encourage me look to going back to film, just missed out on a mint ME Super last week but seriously considering medium format film

04-19-2021, 02:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
Welcome to the forum. Greetings from Greece. Rawtherapee is pretty good. I have started learning it myself. You won’t be disappointed. I’d suggest you also consider darktable, if you haven’t already.
Welcome to the forum!

I would second Michail's recommendation of using Darktable. I only recently starting working with photo processing software, and I have found Darktable to be a powerful, yet relatively easy-to-understand tool.

There are lots of tutorial videos you can watch on YouTube, but I've particularly enjoyed these: Rico Richardson - YouTube
04-19-2021, 04:26 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

do you have the latest firmware installed on your K-S2?

QuoteQuote:
Major features subsequently added through firmware updates:

Version 1.20: Support for lenses with KAF4 mount, i.e. lenses that have foregone the mechanical stop-down lever
Version 1.10: Update to support Image Sync version 1.0.5
Read more at: Pentax K-S2 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
04-19-2021, 11:32 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

do you have the latest firmware installed on your K-S2?

Read more at: Pentax K-S2 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
Welcome to the Forum. As others have said, there are many here to give answers, advice and guidance. You are welcome to give back answers, advice and guidance to us.

04-19-2021, 01:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum. Great to have such a Pentaxian here.
04-19-2021, 03:19 PM   #9

Longtime lurker. My first camera was my Dad's old Zeiss Ikon Contessa folding rangefinder 35. Then when I was around age 12 somebody let me look through an SLR. Wow. That's what I want! So in 1967 at age 12 I bought a used Pentax H3v. Then a Spotmatic. Then a Spotmatic II, then a Spotmatic ES... etc. I built my own darkroom in my parents' basement and made BW prints and mounted my own Ektachromes.

I've owned a longgg series of Pentaxes and lenses over all these years and still have most of them. I stopped shooting film a long time ago but the film camera I love to hold most is my old black MX. Lately I shoot with my K-5 and K-1.
04-21-2021, 03:27 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland
04-21-2021, 05:13 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by peggers Quote
always wondered about how the MEF worked. It had auto focus but could I ask how quick and accurate the auto focus was? And, as I recall, you needed a particular lens to make it auto focus. Was there only one lens available that auto focussed? Was it a battery chewer? Did other manual focus lens still work on the camera?
As no-one has answered that yet, there was only one AF lens that worked with the MEF, a 35-70mm zoom. You could put manual focus lenses on the camera and with them you did get a focus guide in the viewfinder. Otherwise the camera was similar to an ME Super.

I admit I never had one, but understand the AF was a bit clunky, and as a system it went no further - ie not compatible with later Pentax AF systems. But it was a first step into AF and for some it was a significant advance for its time.