Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2021, 02:30 PM   #1

Total Newb! SDM failed and lost interest : (

I am new to the forum but slightly lurked years ago. I decided to buy a DSLR before my son was born in 2014 and with a lot of research and help from this forum, I bought the Pentax K3 over a Canon or Nikon! I have/had some fixed lenses (35mm and 50mm) to start and before my daughter showed up in 2016, I bought a DA* 16-50mm lens. Unfortunately, soon after she was born, the SDM failed. I tried to repair it myself and that worked very briefly. The camera and the lens has been packed away for years now as it's just depressing to waste that much money on a lens that doesn't work. I've tried manual focus but it's also not fun and I'm not great at it. Again, how can something cost this much and be such a lemon? With a 3rd child coming in a month, I would love to get this converted to screwdrive before then. If this lens worked, I would probably be more inclined to use this camera so I can capture those moments in my kids' childhoods that I know I'll regret later if I don't! Anyway, thanks for having me and I'll probably be more involved once I get this thing fixed!

04-19-2021, 02:41 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forums.

The DA*16-50 is a very versatile optic, but is plagued by an unreliable first generation ultrasonic autofocus motor. It is worth getting repaired, either with SDM replacement or by converting to screw drive. The latter approach can be done at home if you have an older body and some computer literacy - check out THIS THREAD - or if you live in the USA you can send it off to @UncleVanya who can do it for you for a nominal fee.

Good luck!
04-19-2021, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The reliability issues with first-gen SDM are indeed a shame- that's why this system has been phased out and why they're actually going to be releasing an overhauled version of the 16-50mm (with a DC motor) later this year.

Luckily the screwdrive conversion is pretty easy. Best of luck!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-19-2021, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K3 FOR ME Quote
I am new to the forum but slightly lurked years ago. I decided to buy a DSLR before my son was born in 2014 and with a lot of research and help from this forum, I bought the Pentax K3 over a Canon or Nikon! I have/had some fixed lenses (35mm and 50mm) to start and before my daughter showed up in 2016, I bought a DA* 16-50mm lens. Unfortunately, soon after she was born, the SDM failed. I tried to repair it myself and that worked very briefly. The camera and the lens has been packed away for years now as it's just depressing to waste that much money on a lens that doesn't work. I've tried manual focus but it's also not fun and I'm not great at it. Again, how can something cost this much and be such a lemon? With a 3rd child coming in a month, I would love to get this converted to screwdrive before then. If this lens worked, I would probably be more inclined to use this camera so I can capture those moments in my kids' childhoods that I know I'll regret later if I don't! Anyway, thanks for having me and I'll probably be more involved once I get this thing fixed!
Fully charge the battery and mount the 16-50 and leave for a couple of hours. Some suggest leaving on top of a computer where its a bit warmer than normal. Then move the focusing ring a few times and again while holding the shutter partially down to engage AF or the back button if you're setup that way. Make sure you have AF selected on the lens switch and body too. Otherwise it's off for a repair for a couple of hundred or a conversion to screwdrive.

Welcome to the forum

Last edited by robbiec; 04-19-2021 at 04:43 PM.
04-19-2021, 05:08 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great tips from the guys above.

I converted mine to screw-drive and it is working great. You won't regret it.
04-19-2021, 08:29 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! You are all very helpful. I will give it one last try using the tips above and if that doesn't work, I'll be contacting UncleVanya. 👍 I hope to reignite my love for this camera!
04-19-2021, 08:49 PM   #7

Newb question ... are all SDM lenses prone to failure?

04-19-2021, 09:15 PM - 1 Like   #8
Forum Member

Hello! Welcome to the forums
04-19-2021, 09:25 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K3 FOR ME Quote
Thanks everyone! You are all very helpful. I will give it one last try using the tips above and if that doesn't work, I'll be contacting UncleVanya. 👍 I hope to reignite my love for this camera!
Happy to help. If you do decide to convert it just reach out and I'll be happy to help. I can also offer advice if you want to convert on your own.
04-19-2021, 09:28 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Phyllis Quote
Newb question ... are all SDM lenses prone to failure?
Great question - here's the medium lousy answer - no one knows. The official data isn't public about repairs and some lenses might go unreported. From informal surveys it seems the problems were worse on some lenses than others. The reality is that newer SDM motors and lenses seem to be less prone than older one's but it is very hard to be definitive.

My view - Most lenses are worth the risk. The most expensive of them DA* 200 / 300 / 16-50 / 50-135 are all convertible to screw drive. There are many lenses like the DA* 55 that can't be converted but don't seem to have a high failure rate also.
04-20-2021, 12:26 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just wanna wish you the best for your third child and hope you enjoy your Pentax, whatever you are gonna do with it. Seems you got some nice advice from the guys here.
04-20-2021, 01:07 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

It sounds like you've had a frustrating situation, but welcome to the Forum nonetheless!

I wish you the best of luck with your third child and with your lens!
04-20-2021, 02:32 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I kept K10D with un-updated firmware ( Ver 1.20 ) for SDM reason.
This camera just ignores SDM and uses screw AF instead.
I have DA* 200 / 300 / 50-135 and 60-250 , so far no problems.
I actually prefer screw drive AF on all those lenses , it seems to be more precise and snappy.
04-20-2021, 05:12 AM - 1 Like   #14

I feel your pain! And welcome

Jumped from film to digital when K10D (and first child) came along, the rumours about the 16-50 pushed me to a Voigtlander 58mm f1.4 for (i) fear of wasting money, (ii) some great bokeh and (iii) to give me some low light capblities

I have to say the 58mm has helped capture some magical images of my kids as they have grown up - one bad lens can leave a bad taste but maybe a fast fifty (or something else decent / inexpensive) could provide some great memories
04-20-2021, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would say that the SDM's are generally reliable but dont expect them to last forever but I wouldnt be surprised if most lasted 10 plus years. I also have an 16-50 to fix but havnt decided to cheap out with the screw drive or pay the 250 bucks for a new sdm.