Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2021, 03:52 AM   #1

Here from FLA

Hi there! I'm a returning Pentaxian. In the 1980s, I bought a Pentax Super Program from B&H Photo (I actually bought it in the store in New Yorrk). I bought a couple of extra lenses, which I used to take some great (in my mind) photos. I always liked that camera. But when things went digital, film became too expensive for an amateur like me. Then, a couple of weeks ago, a friend of mine (also a Pentaxian) told me that the old Pentax K lenses fit on on the new cameras! Well, I already had two lenses, so I went out and bought a Pentax K-70, again from B&H Photo (online this time). So I've been learning to use it.

I did have a couple of questions. First, how do I return the live view screen to the view one gets when one opens the LED screen? The manual tells how to turn the live screen on, but not how to get back to the original view.

Second, how does the user function U3, for taking pictures of the night sky, work? Do I have to enable it? Are there some settings I have to make? Will it take a timed exposure (as in several seconds or minutes long), or will the shutter close in under a second?

Thanks for letting me join. I've already searched the forum for several topics, especially lenses. I'm looking to buy a 300 or 400mm lens, used (I'm not a good enough photographer to buy a new one), and the forum has given me a lot of help.

04-28-2021, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Welcome from Australia.

I don't have a K-70, so I'm not able to help. But while you are waiting for answers, the linked forum below might help pass the time.

Pentax K-70 - PentaxForums.com
04-28-2021, 04:59 AM - 1 Like   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

this is a good spot to start

QuoteQuote:
Useful Pentax/Photo Resources, About
This section is intended to help you with any basic questions you may have about Pentax or photography, as well as technical issues you may be experiencing with your gear. Newbies are welcome here! Feel free to ask any question, no matter now simple (or seemingly obvious), but please post each question in a separate thread!

PentaxForums.com Lens Review Database
Pentax Lens Series Explained
Pentax & Photography Artices
The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart
Lens compatibility tool
Photos of K and M42 mount variations (photos of pentax k-mounts) - PentaxForums.com
How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-1, K-3, K-5, K-30, etc) - PentaxForums.com
Pentax Reviews | In-Depth Camera, Lens, Flash Reviews | PentaxForums.com
Recommended Pentax Gear | Pentax Cameras | PentaxForums.com
Pentax Cameras | Pentax K-5 vs. Pentax K-r vs. Pentax K-x - Pentax DSLR Comparison - PentaxForums.com
Firmware Update Guide
Homepage Articles & Tutorials
Beginners question about noise (clunk) in a Pentax DSLR - PentaxForums.com
PENTAX Lens Technology / Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING
Shutter count tool

Read more at: Useful Pentax/Photo Resources, About - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com
04-28-2021, 05:26 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Fellow Guitar Dudes always have my respect

I'm not sure what you mean with the original view, but whenever you're reviewing a picture, a half press of the shutter returns the screen to showing the basic settings (on my bodies it does, I don't have a K-70).

User modes are what you want them to be. If U3 comes pre-loaded with astro settings (as you're suggesting it does) then all you have to do is put the dial on U3 and you're ready to go. There's a menu option to override the user settings with whatever settings you have on at a given time.

04-28-2021, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome back to Pentax Guitar Dude!
04-28-2021, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your K-70. Firstly, the same button that enables the LV, also returns to the “original view”(where you can see all your exposure settings). As mentioned above, when you are in photo display mode, you gently press the shutter button and return to shooting. The menu is relatively simple, as in any other Pentax, I suppose. The best start is always to read the manual carefully. If you think of it as a boring operations instruction guide , then there’s also an excellent e-book you can get from Pentax Forum, the K-70 e-book from Yvon Bourque. I have it and I must say it really is amazingly useful. There’s a ton of info, tips and tricks that will save you a lot of time during the learning process. Finally, there’s a huge amount of info and advice you can get from experienced members here, so do ask when you need to. Best wishes, greetings from Greece.
04-28-2021, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Guitar Dude Quote
Hi there! I'm a returning Pentaxian. In the 1980s, I bought a Pentax Super Program from B&H Photo (I actually bought it in the store in New Yorrk). I bought a couple of extra lenses, which I used to take some great (in my mind) photos. I always liked that camera. But when things went digital, film became too expensive for an amateur like me. Then, a couple of weeks ago, a friend of mine (also a Pentaxian) told me that the old Pentax K lenses fit on on the new cameras! Well, I already had two lenses, so I went out and bought a Pentax K-70, again from B&H Photo (online this time). So I've been learning to use it.

I did have a couple of questions. First, how do I return the live view screen to the view one gets when one opens the LED screen? The manual tells how to turn the live screen on, but not how to get back to the original view.

Second, how does the user function U3, for taking pictures of the night sky, work? Do I have to enable it? Are there some settings I have to make? Will it take a timed exposure (as in several seconds or minutes long), or will the shutter close in under a second?

Thanks for letting me join. I've already searched the forum for several topics, especially lenses. I'm looking to buy a 300 or 400mm lens, used (I'm not a good enough photographer to buy a new one), and the forum has given me a lot of help.
As Michail_P stated, pressing the LV button will return you to the original screen. I also second his observation regarding the ebook by Yvon Bourque. I bought it and printed it off so I can have it whenever I do not have access to my computer. It is loaded with much information that will help you explore and learn your K70. I bought a K70 a bit more than a year ago and am very happy with it. Finally, welcome to the forum, lots of friendly folks and information here.

04-28-2021, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax Forums.
04-28-2021, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Hi, welcome to the forums!
04-28-2021, 11:23 PM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, enjoy your time here with us all
04-29-2021, 02:00 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.... glad you joined...
04-29-2021, 02:51 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums!

It's always nice to hear about someone coming back to Pentax photography after a few years!
04-29-2021, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums.
04-30-2021, 11:01 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your welcome and for the suggestions. I did purchase the Pentax K-70 ebook and I'm reading through it. I've learned something from every page! I am looking forward to actually going out and using the camera for pictures.
04-30-2021, 12:59 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you everyone for your welcome and for the suggestions. I did purchase the Pentax K-70 ebook and I'm reading through it. I've learned something from every page! I am looking forward to actually going out and using the camera for pictures.
Happy to hear you are learning from the ebook. I find it very informative and I'm still learning.