Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2008, 08:17 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Greetings from Wisconsin!

Hi everybody,

Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. I have been reading around the forums for quite some time and I thought that it was about time to become a member. About me: I decided that after working with old rangefinders and digital point and shoots that it was time to upgrade to a digital SLR. I went into Best Buy about a year ago to try all of the new DSLRs they had on display. The salespeople were VERY pushy with Canon/Nikon and Sony products. I tried them out but they did not feel right in my hand and build construction did not seem that solid. Since I never buy a very expensive item without extensive research I headed home to look on the internet. When I was researching I came across the Pentax brand. I was very impressed with what people were saying and I decided that this may be the camera for me. I went to a local photography store and the moment I held the K10D I knew it was the camera for me. I walked out that day with the K10D and the kit 18-55mm lens. Since then I have acquired the battery grip another 18-55mm kit lens a Pentax 50-200mm a FA 50mm, and the Bigma. I have been very pleased with Pentax and I do not think that I could ever convert to Canon/Nikon. I look forward to reading all of your posts and learning from your photographic examples. Thanks for the great place to share the Pentax experience.

Regards, Dylan

11-22-2008, 08:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Dylan,

Welcome to the family. Looking forward to seeing your work posted and your participation in the give and take of the different threads available on PentaxForums.
11-23-2008, 12:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Gday Dylan,
I'm glad you picked the K10D mate. Nice lens selection too. I only recently took off my battery grip after a 1000 years and it felt like a p/s again.
Have fun and welcome,

Peter
11-23-2008, 04:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi Dylan,

Welcome. Interesting research - I did something similar looking at Nikon/Olympus, and found Pentax the best in hand. If only other people would take the time to look into camera handling before they buy I suspect the Pentax community would be larger...

Anyhow, interesting that you come from Wisconsin. I've got some colleagues over there that work in/around Madison. They're always telling me about the giant mosquitoes that will pick you up and carry you away.........but I'm not sure if I should believe them. So I look forward to seeing some of your images and perhaps the giant mozzies of Wisconsin!

Cheers

11-23-2008, 04:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome, Dylan. You're clearly a man who doesn't do things by halves, looking at your list of goodies. Tsk tsk - afflicted with LBA already and you've only just joined. There's no hope for you now, of course, but you're in splendid company. Come on in.
11-23-2008, 12:58 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, I've put a pin in the map for Wisconsin.

When I'm planning my world tour I'll pop in and stay with you.
11-23-2008, 01:39 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Hiya Dylan. Welcome from my neck of Wisconsin!

11-23-2008, 02:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome Cheese Head,
I hear they are going to start putting lights on there mosquitoes so pilots can see them so they quit taking down small planes.
11-24-2008, 01:28 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome!

I want to thank everyone for the warm welcome on the forums. First off, Yes!! The mosquitoes in Wisconsin are HUGE. A favorite phrase around here is that they are our state bird. It is easy to think you have dust on your censor but then you realize it's a mosquito coming in for a landing. Secondly, It is a hard thing to admit, I do have a LBA. Right now I only have one more lens in my sights. (until something else catches my attention) The famed FA*31mm. I am still getting used to posting with the forum software so I can not reference the replies as I answer, but someone mentioned having friends in Madison. I live about 45 minutes away and I currently the understudy of a staff photographer for The Capital Times. He is the only person that I know in the photography world in Madison. I am looking forward to soaking up the knowledge and contributing what I can on this forum. I will try to post some pics this weekend. Thanks again for the warm welcome!
11-24-2008, 12:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Hey. I lived in Madison a while, myself... Send Butterburgers!

Can't say it was any big mosquitoes that bothered me, it was these little guys you couldn't even see, they'd fly up your skirt, down your blouse, up your sleeve, then raise complaints with the accomodations...

I have to say the Pentaxes really are probably the best-handling entry level DSLRs out there (I actually liked the Olympus 500s, but if you buy one of those, you have more pressing problems) ...I got a chance to handle a K200 or one of those recently, and was thinking, 'At least this *feels* good.'

I caught a lucky break, though, and I'm jumping right into a K20. I've never so much as picked one of those bodies up, for lack of them being pushed by stores, but expect it'll do nicely in that regard.
11-24-2008, 09:49 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Hey. I lived in Madison a while, myself... Send Butterburgers!

Can't say it was any big mosquitoes that bothered me, it was these little guys you couldn't even see, they'd fly up your skirt, down your blouse, up your sleeve, then raise complaints with the accomodations...

I have to say the Pentaxes really are probably the best-handling entry level DSLRs out there (I actually liked the Olympus 500s, but if you buy one of those, you have more pressing problems) ...I got a chance to handle a K200 or one of those recently, and was thinking, 'At least this *feels* good.'

I caught a lucky break, though, and I'm jumping right into a K20. I've never so much as picked one of those bodies up, for lack of them being pushed by stores, but expect it'll do nicely in that regard.
Thanks for the reply! I don't think I could live without Culver's (butterburgers are the best). I did look at the Olympus cameras as well but I didn't think I could live with the four thirds system. Congrats on the K20 purchase. I am looking to get one myself but probably after the holiday rush. Anyway, thanks aging and happy shooting!
11-25-2008, 05:15 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum

I thought nikon D90 felt really good in hands. So as D3 or D300. Solid cameras too.

Nevertheless, glad that you pick pentax!
11-25-2008, 12:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Yeah, the Nikons do handle pretty good, too, I think. Everyone seems to like the little ones, anyway. For handling, something usually has to be a real stinker before I consider it a minus, but when a designer *nails* it, it makes me very happy. I even like the Pentax kit lens, that way, and I might get one, eventually, just cause I have this thing where real wide-angle is not usually where I want to spend a lot or carry any heavier, but sometimes you need it or just see something. (with my old Canons, I just carry one of those kind-of ignoreable consumer 28s, for the most part. Kind of wish digital-makers would make an equivalent. Speed is nice, but no good to me if it stays home cause I had other priorities. Chatter. )

Madison, by the way, seems to have quite a nice photography club down there. (Or at least it did a few years ago. Darkroom facilities, even. Reasonable dues, seemed like a good bunch of people, from the Web. I didn't participate, but if we had stayed there, I'm sure I'd have checked them out by now.)

There was also a camera store across from the capitol, by the corner of, what do you call the pedestrian shopping street.... Like under this museum space. They appear to have some interest in 'serious photography,' (Or at least had to be out of their minds trying to sell top-grade filters if they weren't) Also, there's a place a little analagous to a Hunt's out on the Westside near the mall and sort of between there and Russ Darrow's big car dealership. I forget most of the names, now. Might well have Pentax stuff, either of them.

And ...Butterburgers... Red onions, white cheese, and bacon. Very nice.
11-25-2008, 08:03 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Yeah, the Nikons do handle pretty good, too, I think. Everyone seems to like the little ones, anyway. For handling, something usually has to be a real stinker before I consider it a minus, but when a designer *nails* it, it makes me very happy. I even like the Pentax kit lens, that way, and I might get one, eventually, just cause I have this thing where real wide-angle is not usually where I want to spend a lot or carry any heavier, but sometimes you need it or just see something. (with my old Canons, I just carry one of those kind-of ignoreable consumer 28s, for the most part. Kind of wish digital-makers would make an equivalent. Speed is nice, but no good to me if it stays home cause I had other priorities. Chatter. )

Madison, by the way, seems to have quite a nice photography club down there. (Or at least it did a few years ago. Darkroom facilities, even. Reasonable dues, seemed like a good bunch of people, from the Web. I didn't participate, but if we had stayed there, I'm sure I'd have checked them out by now.)

There was also a camera store across from the capitol, by the corner of, what do you call the pedestrian shopping street.... Like under this museum space. They appear to have some interest in 'serious photography,' (Or at least had to be out of their minds trying to sell top-grade filters if they weren't) Also, there's a place a little analagous to a Hunt's out on the Westside near the mall and sort of between there and Russ Darrow's big car dealership. I forget most of the names, now. Might well have Pentax stuff, either of them.

And ...Butterburgers... Red onions, white cheese, and bacon. Very nice.
The name you're after is State Street. The last time I was down there I did not notice the store you were talking about. A lot of businesses have come and gone on State St. I think I have heard of a Photography club in Madison although it never occurred to me to look it up. I'll have to try and hunt down that little store near Russ Darrow's. That dealership was the first place I saw a Dodge Viper in person. I had a pocket 110 camera and snapped quite a few pics that day. On the topic of Culver's I remember a while ago when I was in one of their restaurants I saw a poster that said they were expanding to other states. Hopefully Georgia is on the list!
11-28-2008, 03:44 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Ah, that's right. Internet. The place out there on Odana Rd is called 'The Camera Company,' and they'd appear to still be alive, and in fact, have a few different stores. (website, if it's OK to post that here: Welcome to The Camera Company) I only went in there to get my film and chemistry, and occasionally ogle stuff like tripods, but they have a lot of stuff and apparently carry Pentax, so there we are.

Looks like not a bad place for retail, still, though. Not something you can take for granted, these days.