Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2008, 01:30 PM   #16
Forum Member

Welcome Bellakelpie, you will enjoy being here its a great forum.
Cheers,
John

12-06-2008, 01:34 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yo Mechan1k,
Plenty of good Spotty's on "Fleabay." You can get 'em for next to nothing at present.
If not- try a K1000 or the Chinon clone.
All they are are Spotmatic bodies fitted with K-Mount attachments.
The biggest problems with these vintage units is usually old foam getting squishy, shutters out of sync and getting tired and also getting the silver-mercury batteries for the light meters. However the "Camera House" chain here in Oz have taken care of the latter.
Find someone who can do a good C-L-R for the rest. Mine cost me $A 45 each to get done. Cheap!
On light meters, many on the market don't have functioning light meters anymore, but a cheap hand held light meter is the fix to that.
They are great camera's for learning all about light, D-O-F etc, no matter whose lens you are using. And there are plenty of cheap lenses around. Some of the Russian made M42 lenses are as good as the Takumars.
Lash out and have a ball mate-you won't regret it and it won't cost you much.
12-06-2008, 02:06 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bellakelpie Quote
Yo Mechan1k,
Plenty of good Spotty's on "Fleabay." You can get 'em for next to nothing at present.
If not- try a K1000 or the Chinon clone.
All they are are Spotmatic bodies fitted with K-Mount attachments.
The biggest problems with these vintage units is usually old foam getting squishy, shutters out of sync and getting tired and also getting the silver-mercury batteries for the light meters. However the "Camera House" chain here in Oz have taken care of the latter.
Find someone who can do a good C-L-R for the rest. Mine cost me $A 45 each to get done. Cheap!
On light meters, many on the market don't have functioning light meters anymore, but a cheap hand held light meter is the fix to that.
They are great camera's for learning all about light, D-O-F etc, no matter whose lens you are using. And there are plenty of cheap lenses around. Some of the Russian made M42 lenses are as good as the Takumars.
Lash out and have a ball mate-you won't regret it and it won't cost you much.
Thanks for that.

I am wating for the right one to get really ... if I can get an ES or ESII I'd be happy actually ... either way though. Then again though if i do get a K1000 I do have the odd full frame lens that I could use on it ... and still use my M42 adaptor on it (have a nice Zenitar Fisheye I could use).

Some Spotties have been going for quite a fair bit actually. I do realise in regards to the foam around the door(s) deteriorating ... and I know I'd need to get it serviced as soon as I got one as well.

Any particular brand light meter you recommend????

I already have my Taks to play with ... I don't think I need any more lenses ... for now ... hahahahahaha.
12-06-2008, 03:14 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I was lucky in that my daughter was given an old PRAKTICA M42 outfit. A body (heavy, no pentaprism viewfinder or inbuilt light meter, but still in excellent condition) and 3 lenses.
Also in it was an old manual light meter (no batteries required.)
Fortunately both my Spotties have working light meters, so I compared the readings they gave with the manual unit in the Praktica kit. It was pretty well spot on. (No pun intended.) I have found it valuable on occasions when the battery's in the Spotmatic I was using at the time, failed. (Bug a lugs here has a habit of leaving the Exposure Meter Switch "on" and it flattens the battery.)
Incidentally, there is a Spotmatic w Super Tak 50mm 1:1.4 lens currently on US E-Bay for $US49 "buy it now".
If you don't mind the $A-$US conversion and the postage charge-- not a bad price.
That particular lens is brilliant, better than the 55mm version in my opinion.

12-06-2008, 03:19 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I might be worthwhile getting a handheld lightmeter just for that case really.

I have been having a read and look around the web .. and I think I might go the K1000 ... so i can use some of my k-mounts as well.

Am bidding on a K1000 with Tamron 28mm and Tamron 200mm at the moment ... ends very soon for $88 at the moment ... in Sydney as well. ... so will see how that pans outs. I can always sell the lenses later if needed.

I prefer to buy in Oz at the moment ... as our $ is crap compared to the US ... I did snap up a lot of lenses back when it was near equal though (was very lucky to find NICE Tak glass back then.
12-06-2008, 03:56 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Check out (On Oz E-Bay) the Ricoh KR5 Super II.

It's basically a lightweight K1000. The only real difference is the light meter. The K1000 has an identical needle lightmeter to that fitted in the Spotmatic. The Ricoh has a simple LED unit -Green light plus "+" sign for o.k. Red light plus "- " sign for "not o.k."
And it uses the Pentax K-Mount .

I have one-- a great camera and very underated. Looks good cosmetically as well.

There is one going on Oz E-Bay at present. No bids currently (sitting at $19.95) The same guy is also selling a Spotmatic - $29.95 and also currently no bids,