Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2021, 10:49 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Returning after many years

So, I haven't been actively following photography forums for a long time. After I bought my K5 I just wasn't interested in anything else. I've just been happily shooting with it ever since. I came buy just to look at the market place for a little piece of equipment I need. But, I figure I'll stick around and see what is new and what you all have been up to. I'm sure there is a lot to catch up with. In any case, greetings.

05-01-2021, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome back rm2!
05-01-2021, 01:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to Pentax Forums. I had multiple K-5s. That model was quite a performer.
05-01-2021, 01:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome back!

05-01-2021, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rm2 Quote
So, I haven't been actively following photography forums for a long time. After I bought my K5 I just wasn't interested in anything else. I've just been happily shooting with it ever since. I came buy just to look at the market place for a little piece of equipment I need. But, I figure I'll stick around and see what is new and what you all have been up to. I'm sure there is a lot to catch up with. In any case, greetings.

Welcome.

Quick overview that you may not need:

K-5 gave rise to the K-5ii and K-5iis. The s version has no low pass anti alias filter which made it sharper but potentially subject to moire. The consumer 16mp sensor camera K-30 became the K-50 around that same time. The k-3 was released replacing the k-5 introducing the 24mp sensor to pentacle apsc. The k-s1 and k-s2 came along in the consumer/mid market slot and used a 20mp sensor. The k-3ii dropped onboard flash and gained onboard GPS. Sensor stayed roughly the same. The k-3ii added pixel shift super resolution where multiple images are taken shifting the sensor slightly and the output is a higher color accuracy and lower noise. The k-1 was introduced using a 36mp sensor which incidentally in crop mode is almost a clone of the k-5 sensor size. The K-1 also has a unique screen that swivels in many directions and is quite strong. The KP came along with LX like style cues and a smaller body and interchangeable grips. This too used the ubiquitous 24mp sensor. Oh and it put a flash back but dropped infrared remote and added a tilting screen. The k-70 or the KP brought an accelerator chip into the line (both use it) which offers vastly improved low iso. The k-70 brought a tilt and swivel screen to the party. The k-1ii came along with that accelerator in it and there was even an upgrade option to lift the existing k-1 to that capability.

Recently the long awaited k-3iii came out with a large very bright optical viewfinder and extra special low iso and improved autofocus.

Oh and some full frame lenses and a new in lens motor using PLM motors to offer speedy fast autofocus but only viable in certain designs.

There’s also a set of lenses with electronic aperture - sadly not compatible with your k-5. And some focus by wire stuff.

And I’m sure some of this isn’t fully in order or perfectly recalled so just take it as the 10000 foot view it’s intended to be.
05-01-2021, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I forgot HD coatings. And the release of HD versions of the fa limited lenses.
05-01-2021, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

welcome back, a lot of progress has been made, but it will still feel like home

05-01-2021, 05:32 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Welcome!
05-01-2021, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #9
rm2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
s filter which made it sharper but potentially subject to moire. The consumer 16mp sensor camera K-30 became the K-50 around that same time. The k-3 was released replacing the k-5 introducing
Amazing!
05-01-2021, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

you know what I mean

welcome back!
It must be so fulfilling and rewarding , like coming back to the old place and finding well worn favourite armchair.
A pure pleasure......
05-01-2021, 07:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Welcome back, probably not much has changed in the realm of photography these days, other than gear I guess.
05-01-2021, 10:23 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-5 is a wonderful camera. I almost feel guilty not using it since I got my K-1 ii. I've got my K-5 listed in the marketplace now. When it sells, I hope the next owner will appreciate interested it as much as I have.

Welcome to the forums!
05-02-2021, 03:40 AM - 1 Like   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

looking forward to whatever, if any, contributions you choose to make here

this chart might be of some interest:

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-mount Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2020 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.
https://www.mosphotos.com/PentaxLensCompatibility.html
05-02-2021, 04:20 AM - 1 Like   #14

Spending time taking photos rather than online in forums makes a lot of sense to me. Nonetheless Welcome to the Forums.
05-02-2021, 04:37 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum. Photography is a great way of being well with yourself but you cannot ignore the need for feedback and photo-socializing. I’m very glad to have photo-friends in here to discuss with.