Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2021, 04:48 PM   #31
Pentaxian
Photos-by-Chas's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northwest Pennsylvania, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 941
QuoteOriginally posted by bogwalker Quote
I put some photos in my album, here's an example, from Big Bog state park in Minnesota:


This might be simplistic, but I see fens as peat, moss or other plant covered wetland, swamps are open water with trees, and bogs are with trees and little to no open water. Plants and sometimes even trees on a bog are floating on peat, their roots don't hit soil.

Here's my album.
Nice photographic example. I've never really looked into the differences of bogs, fens and swamps. Thank you for the explanation.

07-26-2021, 03:52 AM   #32
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 127
QuoteOriginally posted by bogwalker Quote
I put some photos in my album, here's an example, from Big Bog state park in Minnesota:


This might be simplistic, but I see fens as peat, moss or other plant covered wetland, swamps are open water with trees, and bogs are with trees and little to no open water. Plants and sometimes even trees on a bog are floating on peat, their roots don't hit soil.

Here's my album.
Nice one
07-27-2021, 12:40 AM   #33
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Fens
Posts: 513
QuoteOriginally posted by bogwalker Quote
I put some photos in my album, here's an example, from Big Bog state park in Minnesota:


This might be simplistic, but I see fens as peat, moss or other plant covered wetland, swamps are open water with trees, and bogs are with trees and little to no open water. Plants and sometimes even trees on a bog are floating on peat, their roots don't hit soil.

Here's my album.
You make an informative distinction here!

You've got some great photos in your album—I particularly enjoy the pitcher plants.

Thanks for sharing!
07-27-2021, 01:59 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Santa Rosa,CA
Posts: 76
Greetings and welcome from Santa Rosa,CA

07-28-2021, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
TER-OR's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dundee, IL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,643
They all have definitions. And each has sub-types.
07-28-2021, 03:14 PM   #36
Junior Member
bogwalker's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Chicagoland
Photos: Albums
Posts: 48
Original Poster
Thanks all, I appreciate the warm welcome.

Archeodude - I grew up in swampy areas of Minnesota, and never saw a pitcher plant until I went on the boardwalk at Big Bog State Park. I wonder if I just never noticed, or if they are quite rare. They are certainly not common. There's also a little sundew plant at the base of one of the pitcher plants that I didn't notice until later.

And you're right Ter-or, there is definitely more to wetlands. I'm involved with habitat restoration in the Chicago area, and I've been to the alkali fen in Lake in the Hills, which probably isn't too far from you.
07-29-2021, 10:32 AM   #37
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Fens
Posts: 513
QuoteOriginally posted by bogwalker Quote
...

Archeodude - I grew up in swampy areas of Minnesota, and never saw a pitcher plant until I went on the boardwalk at Big Bog State Park. I wonder if I just never noticed, or if they are quite rare. They are certainly not common. There's also a little sundew plant at the base of one of the pitcher plants that I didn't notice until later.

...
That's one of the beautiful things about life—there are always new things we can find and discover even if they've always been right under our noses!

07-29-2021, 11:04 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
TER-OR's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dundee, IL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,643
QuoteOriginally posted by bogwalker Quote
Thanks all, I appreciate the warm welcome.

Archeodude - I grew up in swampy areas of Minnesota, and never saw a pitcher plant until I went on the boardwalk at Big Bog State Park. I wonder if I just never noticed, or if they are quite rare. They are certainly not common. There's also a little sundew plant at the base of one of the pitcher plants that I didn't notice until later.

And you're right Ter-or, there is definitely more to wetlands. I'm involved with habitat restoration in the Chicago area, and I've been to the alkali fen in Lake in the Hills, which probably isn't too far from you.
I'll have to get out there. I spend more of my time chasing insects in mesic prairies and savannahs. Occasionally I get to help with walks, bio-blitzes etc.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, film, focus, mm, pentax, pentax owner
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
looking for help: good photo store Omaha Ne aslyfox General Talk 5 12-09-2020 12:34 AM
Pentax Spotmatic CLA and repair by Garry's Camera in Illinois OldChE Repairs and Warranty Service 13 08-26-2020 03:02 PM
New Pentax owner from the Land of Lincoln aka Illinois. :) mcx8 Welcomes and Introductions 7 02-21-2017 06:29 AM
New User from Illinois celticboyo Welcomes and Introductions 5 07-27-2013 11:30 AM
New from Illinois shawnee46 Welcomes and Introductions 3 01-22-2013 08:35 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:06 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top