Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
07-25-2021, 04:48 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bogwalker Quote
I put some photos in my album, here's an example, from Big Bog state park in Minnesota:

This might be simplistic, but I see fens as peat, moss or other plant covered wetland, swamps are open water with trees, and bogs are with trees and little to no open water. Plants and sometimes even trees on a bog are floating on peat, their roots don't hit soil.

Here's my album.
Nice photographic example. I've never really looked into the differences of bogs, fens and swamps. Thank you for the explanation.

07-26-2021, 03:52 AM   #32

I put some photos in my album, here's an example, from Big Bog state park in Minnesota:

This might be simplistic, but I see fens as peat, moss or other plant covered wetland, swamps are open water with trees, and bogs are with trees and little to no open water. Plants and sometimes even trees on a bog are floating on peat, their roots don't hit soil.

Here's my album.
Nice one
07-27-2021, 12:40 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Here's my album.
You make an informative distinction here!

You've got some great photos in your album—I particularly enjoy the pitcher plants.

Thanks for sharing!
07-27-2021, 01:59 AM   #34
Forum Member

Greetings and welcome from Santa Rosa,CA

07-28-2021, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They all have definitions. And each has sub-types.
07-28-2021, 03:14 PM   #36

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks all, I appreciate the warm welcome.

Archeodude - I grew up in swampy areas of Minnesota, and never saw a pitcher plant until I went on the boardwalk at Big Bog State Park. I wonder if I just never noticed, or if they are quite rare. They are certainly not common. There's also a little sundew plant at the base of one of the pitcher plants that I didn't notice until later.

And you're right Ter-or, there is definitely more to wetlands. I'm involved with habitat restoration in the Chicago area, and I've been to the alkali fen in Lake in the Hills, which probably isn't too far from you.
07-29-2021, 10:32 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Archeodude - I grew up in swampy areas of Minnesota, and never saw a pitcher plant until I went on the boardwalk at Big Bog State Park. I wonder if I just never noticed, or if they are quite rare. They are certainly not common. There's also a little sundew plant at the base of one of the pitcher plants that I didn't notice until later.

That's one of the beautiful things about life—there are always new things we can find and discover even if they've always been right under our noses!

07-29-2021, 11:04 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks all, I appreciate the warm welcome.

And you're right Ter-or, there is definitely more to wetlands. I'm involved with habitat restoration in the Chicago area, and I've been to the alkali fen in Lake in the Hills, which probably isn't too far from you.
I'll have to get out there. I spend more of my time chasing insects in mesic prairies and savannahs. Occasionally I get to help with walks, bio-blitzes etc.