Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
06-02-2021, 08:57 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
New Pentax owner in NE Illinois

Hello folks,
This is my first Pentax. I started off with 110 film camera of unknown brand in the 80's (we didn't have much money, certainly weren't going to give a 35 mm to a kid). I tried a free 35 mm film camera for a bit, but it was completely unreliable. When I got my first real job, then I got a Canon AE-1 (manual focus). I used that for many years. About that time I got into video camcorders and that was my main focus for awhile. Then a stint with a point-and-shoot or two, then a mirrorless Nikon J1... I liked that camera because it was very compact but still could exchange lenses. With the standard lens, it would fit in a jacket pocket.

But I just needed some more features, I'm no professional, but I like taking nice outdoor shots and being able to control exposure and have access to manual focus. After some research the K70 really seemed to have what I needed, including weather resistance. I'm looking forward to getting to know the camera better, maybe even play with the astro setting, just to see what that does.

p.s. Bogwalker is also my geocaching username... not that I've been on there recently.

06-02-2021, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #2

Welcome aboard from another NE Illinois Pentax user. Congrats on your new camera and many happy photos to come. Lots of subject material here in Chicagoland to work with.

I probably have a geocache user name out there somewhere too but haven’t done that in years.
06-02-2021, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome to the forums

you will find a lot of information and friendly members here

the K 70 is a nice camera

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The Pentax K-70 was announced in June 2016 and is a very advanced 24MP APS-C DSLR for its price point. It inherits features from the K-50 and the K-S2, and adds several features otherwise only found on high end bodies like the K-3 II and K-1. As if this wouldn't be enough the K-70 adds two new features of its own: It is the first Pentax DSLR to support lenses with electronic control of the aperture, a feature that videographers will benefit from because it allows precise exposure adjustment during video recording, and it is also the first Pentax DSLR to have a hybrid phase detect/contrast detect autofocus system in live view and for video recording. . . .
Read more at: Pentax K-70 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

I suggest you consider buying the ebook

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-70 eBook
Lifetime download access to Yvon Bourque's comprehensive Pentax K-70 guidebook! (PDF) Download here after purchasing
Amount: US$13.99
PentaxForums.com PayPal Donations
06-02-2021, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bogwalker Quote
Hello folks,
This is my first Pentax. I started off with 110 film camera of unknown brand in the 80's (we didn't have much money, certainly weren't going to give a 35 mm to a kid). I tried a free 35 mm film camera for a bit, but it was completely unreliable. When I got my first real job, then I got a Canon AE-1 (manual focus). I used that for many years. About that time I got into video camcorders and that was my main focus for awhile. Then a stint with a point-and-shoot or two, then a mirrorless Nikon J1... I liked that camera because it was very compact but still could exchange lenses. With the standard lens, it would fit in a jacket pocket.

But I just needed some more features, I'm no professional, but I like taking nice outdoor shots and being able to control exposure and have access to manual focus. After some research the K70 really seemed to have what I needed, including weather resistance. I'm looking forward to getting to know the camera better, maybe even play with the astro setting, just to see what that does.

p.s. Bogwalker is also my geocaching username... not that I've been on there recently.
Welcome! The Canon AE-1 was my one and only SLR. In the digital world I also had a couple of Canon point and shoots. When I finally started looking at DSLRs, I was underwhelmed by the entry level Canikons. The K-50 was what I settled on. It's a great camera but I wanted more. A lightly used K-3 popped up on this forum and I grabbed it. Love it! I'm sure you'll be very happy with K-70.

06-02-2021, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Welcome to the Pentax family, looking forward to seeing what your Pentax will give you - don't be a stranger, post some pictures
06-02-2021, 02:27 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Thanks for the welcome aslyfox, but I don't see a link to an ebook. There is a 20-page review at the link provided, but no mention there of purchasing a book?
06-02-2021, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the welcome aslyfox, but I don't see a link to an ebook. There is a 20-page review at the link provided, but no mention there of purchasing a book?
if you go to the bottom of the " donation " page, there is the option to pay for various ebooks

06-02-2021, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #8
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Australia.
06-02-2021, 08:42 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello from Pennsylvania. I bought my K-70 in 2017 and it's still going strong! Great camera and it takes great photos with the right lens. I just acquired a K3iii, but I'm definitely hanging on to the 70; had it out yesterday. Enjoy!
06-03-2021, 04:13 AM - 1 Like   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome aboard, enjoy all that the forum has to offer
06-03-2021, 03:58 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you have not already purchased the e-book, I suggest you do. Click on the link in aslyfox's post: PentaxForums.com PayPal Donations. That will take you to the page where you can make the payment and then download the book. I got it some months back and found it very informative. So much so, that I then returned and bought the book for the K-x, the other DSLR that I have. I've learned quite a bit about both cameras and am still learning.
06-14-2021, 07:33 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome from New Zealand!
06-19-2021, 03:16 AM   #13
Forum Member

Welcome to the forum!
06-19-2021, 03:24 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter