Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
06-11-2021, 04:32 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hello From Utah - *ist DL2 new to me

Hello from Utah (Ogden).

After getting my girlfriend a DSLR for her birthday (Came with an 18-55, 80-200, and ?-300), I felt the itch to get back into clicking pictures with a camera instead of my phone.

I was tempted to get a Canon like I found for her, but missed my old Pentax (circa 1985) so I went on a little ebay hunt for a new to me DSLR.

I choose the *ist DL because it came with an extra lens (80-200) along with the stock 18-55 they normally come with. The ebay add "says" *ist D L2 but from the images they provided, I don't see where it says DL2 anywhere in there. I don't really care either way, I just want to get back to taking pictures, and digging through them at the end of the day.

Having not used a Pantax in decades (last DLSR I had was a Nikon D40X and I hated the lens) I had to research a lot to see what I was giving up by going so far back in time.

It is also my intention to take some Astrophotography (I've got an Orion 10" Dobsinion).

Excited to be back to some of my roots (I've still got a Nikormat 35mm that I touch about once a year to shoot some black and white).

Thank you for keeping photography alive, I look forward to seeing and participating in the forum.

06-11-2021, 07:00 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Australia.
06-11-2021, 07:01 PM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

photos of the Pentax * ist DL2 can be found here:

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The Pentax * ist DL2 resembles the *istDS2 but was offered at a lower price point made possible by replacing the pentaprism with a pentamirror and removing some features, hereunder TTL flash support and display of the active AF point in the viewfinder. The *istDL2 was only offered in select markets. Compared to the *istDL, the DL2 has electronic preview in addition to optical depth of field preview, and it has 5 autofocus points rather than 3.

Camera Manuals:

Operating Manual
Software Manual (Pentax Photo Browser 2.1, Pentax Photo Laboratory 2.1)

Read more at: Pentax *ist DL2 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

photos of the * istDL here

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The Pentax * istDL resembles the *istDS2 but was offered at a lower price point made possible by replacing the pentaprism with a pentamirror and removing some features, hereunder TTL flash support and display of the active AF point in the viewfinder. It has 3 autofocus points where the DS2 has 11.

Camera Manuals:

Operating Manual
Software Manual (Pentax Photo Browser 2.1, Pentax Photo Laboratory 2.1)

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-ist-dl.html#ixzz6xXH6T2E0

Last edited by aslyfox; 06-11-2021 at 07:06 PM.
06-12-2021, 02:24 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum and welcome back to photography the Pentax way.

06-12-2021, 03:13 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Adelaide, South Australia: Don't tell anyone how good it is, please.
Hi, welcome: I got my first pentax DSLR a short time back, it too, was a DL2. It can still take a cracking picture. Main issue people complain about is batteries!!!! I just use some energizer rechargeables, and they are fine for what I do. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Looking forward to the astro stuff you do!
06-12-2021, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hay there!

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi from Australia.
06-12-2021, 12:29 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Went and looked at the add again. The one I purchased is a DL not the DL2. Not sure why the seller put it as a DL.

Not worried about it, just happy to be getting another DSLR. Hopefully I love it so I can justify getting a little better camera (K1 has me hoping I love it as much as I used to).

Thabk you for the link. I should have the camera in my sweaty hands Friday.

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

photos of the Pentax * ist DL2 can be found here:

Read more at: Pentax *ist DL2 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

photos of the * istDL here

Read more at: Pentax *ist DL - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

06-12-2021, 01:52 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 67comet Quote
I choose the *ist DL because it came with an extra lens (80-200) along with the stock 18-55
Those are the same two lenses I started with back in 2010 when I got my *ist D. They make a good starter kit for sure Once you're up and running, be sure to drop in at the Six Megapixel Club. The Six-Megapixel Club - PentaxForums.com Congrats and welcome!
06-12-2021, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

here is another thread of possible interest

The CCD Sensor Cult. I mean Club... - Page 55 - PentaxForums.com
06-12-2021, 07:12 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums. I had the DL2, my first Pentax DSLR. With adaptor I was able to use the hand me down Takumars from my dad's spotmatic.
I look forward to seeing your image uploads.
06-12-2021, 10:45 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello from Utah (Ogden).

After getting my girlfriend a DSLR for her birthday (Came with an 18-55, 80-200, and ?-300), I felt the itch to get back into clicking pictures with a camera instead of my phone.

I was tempted to get a Canon like I found for her, but missed my old Pentax (circa 1985) so I went on a little ebay hunt for a new to me DSLR.

I choose the *ist DL because it came with an extra lens (80-200) along with the stock 18-55 they normally come with. The ebay add "says" *ist D L2 but from the images they provided, I don't see where it says DL2 anywhere in there. I don't really care either way, I just want to get back to taking pictures, and digging through them at the end of the day.

Having not used a Pantax in decades (last DLSR I had was a Nikon D40X and I hated the lens) I had to research a lot to see what I was giving up by going so far back in time.

It is also my intention to take some Astrophotography (I've got an Orion 10" Dobsinion).

Excited to be back to some of my roots (I've still got a Nikormat 35mm that I touch about once a year to shoot some black and white).

Thank you for keeping photography alive, I look forward to seeing and participating in the forum.
Welcome from New Zealand!
06-14-2021, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome!
06-14-2021, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome! I have an *ist DS that still sees occasional use (same sensor as the DL/2), even after getting much newer Pentax models. Great little cameras.
06-15-2021, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello from Utah (Ogden).

Welcome to the forum. I started digital photography with a Pentax istD and found it a very capable and appropriate camera, which provided many very nice photos for me. I have since upgraded to the K-x and now have the K70. Looking forward to seeing some of your work.
06-15-2021, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #15
Forum Member

Welcome to the forum!