Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
06-15-2021, 06:52 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Those are the same two lenses I started with back in 2010 when I got my *ist D. They make a good starter kit for sure Once you're up and running, be sure to drop in at the Six Megapixel Club. The Six-Megapixel Club - PentaxForums.com Congrats and welcome!
Actually, the Six-Megapixel Club is what guided me to the *ist DL. (Kind of think I should have gotten the K100D now, but it'll be good either way to be back to hearing the CA-LACK of a shutter again).

When I decided I needed to jump back into the (D)SLR world, I was looking around the YouTubes for Pentax camera reviews and ran across a channel that was talking about the 6 megapixel club here. He was using the *ist DL to play around with and loved it (I've never had image stabilization, but more focus points would be handy on the K100D). I can't remember his channel, but he's a young lookin' guy that's into "old" Pentax gear, so I subscribed.

If I fall back in love with photography like I did back in my Pentax MX & K1000 days (I'll always miss black and white and developing my film in the dark room) I can see myself getting the best Pentax I can afford - K-70 vs KP vs K-1 MKII vs K-3 III (Not sure the difference between them yet, I'll be asking about them once I get the DL in my sticky hands).

I've also been adding to my watch lists. Hitting up the e-bays and local classifieds for lenses (Manual or auto-focus, I don't really care if it's a lens I'll enjoy using). I used to attach my old Nikon lens to my D40X. Never had any real issues with using them except I SUCK at focus (Bifocals and all). I've still got a Nikkormat FT3 with a 50mm/1.8 lens (Circa 1977), but haven't taken a picture with it since 2005 or so (might fire it back up and use up some expired/old Fujicolor film I've got laying around). It needs a new MS76 battery (watch battery basically), but it seems like it's all still in working order.

Thanks for the warm welcome(s) (from all over the world), much appreciated.

06-15-2021, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 67comet Quote
Actually, the Six-Megapixel Club is what guided me to the *ist DL. (Kind of think I should have gotten the K100D now, but it'll be good either way to be back to hearing the CA-LACK of a shutter again).
And hear it you will. One thing those bodies don't have is a quiet shutter I'm always a little surprised by the sound when I shoot my *ist DS after I've been using my K5IIs for a while.
06-15-2021, 07:05 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SelrahCharleS Quote
And hear it you will. One thing those bodies don't have is a quiet shutter I'm always a little surprised by the sound when I shoot my *ist DS after I've been using my K5IIs for a while.
I'm sure the first time I'm trying to get close to something that's a little jumpy I'll be shopping for a newer camera as soon as I get home .. I don't mind a noisy camera (I remember my Nikkormat sounding like a double tap hand gun sometimes (mirror bounce I think) when it's really quiet and peaceful)..
06-15-2021, 07:29 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SelrahCharleS Quote
One thing those bodies don't have is a quiet shutter
sounding like a double tap hand gun

I will say the original *ist D isn't that loud, it has a nice little "snick". I was surprised how loud the DS was, almost in the same league as the "ka-lack" of the K100D.

---------- Post added 06-15-21 at 09:36 PM ----------

I can't remember his channel, but he's a young lookin' guy that's into "old" Pentax gear, so I subscribed.
He goes by the name of @Snapppy here on PF, and yes his videos are very good!

Last edited by paulh; 06-15-2021 at 07:38 PM.
06-17-2021, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #20

Photos: Gallery
Hello 67 comet, welcome back to the fold!
06-17-2021, 08:25 PM - 1 Like   #21

Welcome to the forum!
06-19-2021, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

I had the DL to start years ago, I still have it but rarely used. It's a great little camera and I used the hell out of it so yours should last a long while!

06-25-2021, 11:30 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums! Have a great time learning and contributing here.
06-26-2021, 07:47 PM - 1 Like   #24

Welcome from Texas!
07-09-2021, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #25
Forum Member

Greetings and welcome to the forum!
I just looked through *ist DL photos and wow they still look good. I guess I should research this CCD-sensor cult thing.
07-12-2021, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #26

Photos: Gallery
Hello from Utah (Ogden).

After getting my girlfriend a DSLR for her birthday (Came with an 18-55, 80-200, and ?-300), I felt the itch to get back into clicking pictures with a camera instead of my phone.

I was tempted to get a Canon like I found for her, but missed my old Pentax (circa 1985) so I went on a little ebay hunt for a new to me DSLR.

I choose the *ist DL because it came with an extra lens (80-200) along with the stock 18-55 they normally come with. The ebay add "says" *ist D L2 but from the images they provided, I don't see where it says DL2 anywhere in there. I don't really care either way, I just want to get back to taking pictures, and digging through them at the end of the day.

Having not used a Pantax in decades (last DLSR I had was a Nikon D40X and I hated the lens) I had to research a lot to see what I was giving up by going so far back in time.

It is also my intention to take some Astrophotography (I've got an Orion 10" Dobsinion).

Excited to be back to some of my roots (I've still got a Nikormat 35mm that I touch about once a year to shoot some black and white).

Thank you for keeping photography alive, I look forward to seeing and participating in the forum.
Hello to you in Utah! , welcome to the mad house!