Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2021, 06:10 PM   #16
CBM
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
So very true, photography is like life, always more to learn.
I have to admit I've been learning a lot lately and am a bit intimidated by the depth and breadth of this field, no pun intended. Yesterday I finally had a chance to test out the 70-300 Tamron - we get really dramatic clouds when things heat up here in Florida. Somehow I had it in my head that shooting clouds would best be done with that lens...of course not true...but I did get lucky when this tri-colored heron stopped by for a quick cleanup as I was shooting the horizon. After that bit of luck, the light bulb slowwwly came on, why not use that 20-40? So, hope you guys don't mind my posting pics with the reply...learning the ropes in more ways than one!

07-03-2021, 08:19 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CBM Quote
I have to admit I've been learning a lot lately and am a bit intimidated by the depth and breadth of this field, no pun intended. Yesterday I finally had a chance to test out the 70-300 Tamron - we get really dramatic clouds when things heat up here in Florida. Somehow I had it in my head that shooting clouds would best be done with that lens...of course not true...but I did get lucky when this tri-colored heron stopped by for a quick cleanup as I was shooting the horizon. After that bit of luck, the light bulb slowwwly came on, why not use that 20-40? So, hope you guys don't mind my posting pics with the reply...learning the ropes in more ways than one!
We don't mind. We're here to share photos. 👍
07-04-2021, 08:19 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with Mbaez, we don't mind shared photos. Actually we enjoy them so post away.
07-06-2021, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #19
CBM
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Living and learning!

Still figuring things out on the forum and otherwise. I now see I didn't attach any photos to the last post, which is all well and good as I just started using Lightroom today. Not that this is anything to brag about, but I amaze myself with my own shortsightedness sometimes! I was going for clouds, so had switched to the 20-40, then saw this gator hanging out under the aluminum walkway, so again with the 20-40, but decided I needed to get in closer, so instead of switching back to the 70-300 I went down to the muddy bank and got within 15 feet or so before realizing this was not such a good position to be in - good thing he wasn't hungry!

Attached Images

07-06-2021, 03:07 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Still figuring things out on the forum and otherwise. I now see I didn't attach any photos to the last post, which is all well and good as I just started using Lightroom today. Not that this is anything to brag about, but I amaze myself with my own shortsightedness sometimes! I was going for clouds, so had switched to the 20-40, then saw this gator hanging out under the aluminum walkway, so again with the 20-40, but decided I needed to get in closer, so instead of switching back to the 70-300 I went down to the muddy bank and got within 15 feet or so before realizing this was not such a good position to be in - good thing he wasn't hungry!
Oh my goodness! Scary !!!
07-06-2021, 03:15 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome CBM! I'm an old (former) Mainiac myself with a pair of K-70's. Great cameras that solidly hold their own against far more expensive APS-C's when it comes to performance and image quality. You made a really good choice.
07-06-2021, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Hello and welcome to the forum. The K-70 and 18-135mm on it's own is a good start and with the 70-300 you are really set. The 20-40 is a fine lens of course (I don't own it), I would use these extensively before going to astro work (that can be a time stealer), any how enjoy!.
K-70 (fits my quite large hands quite well) + my "original version" Sigma 17-70 is my "go to" combo (sold the 18-135 after I concluded that the Sigma produced much better results overall - and it still does!) - and you can use the 55-300 PLM (that's extremely good as well) with it.

So much so that I "invested" in a "white" solenoid several years ago (no Aperture Block Failure, but I had it fitted after the warrantee expired) because it'll be my main "walk-around" DSLR for "quite long time"

PS: I'm 73 and, hopefully, "counting"

Last edited by jeallen01; 07-21-2021 at 03:04 PM.
07-06-2021, 04:01 PM   #23
CBM
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Welcome CBM! I'm an old (former) Mainiac myself with a pair of K-70's. Great cameras that solidly hold their own against far more expensive APS-C's when it comes to performance and image quality. You made a really good choice.
Thanks Gatorguy - I can see the value of rigging two cameras!
07-07-2021, 06:54 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You are a brave soul to get close to a gator that size. Good capture. I think the sky is quite impressive, also.
07-21-2021, 02:31 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome. Your K-70 will serve you well.
07-23-2021, 02:21 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi and welcome from Kansas. The 18-135 was my
first lens too along with a K-50. Nice Photo’s.
07-23-2021, 03:33 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Welcome!