Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2021, 07:34 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Scientific and Macrophotography

Hello, from Brazil !!

I'm happy to found this comunity. I've been a loyal PENTAX user since the days of analog photography. Currently I develop scientific photography and macrophotography, but also other modalities. Looking for specific ringflashes for PENTAX, which hasn't been very easy to find.

06-28-2021, 08:41 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome from NZ!
Certainly there some interesting threads on macro photography that you might like.
06-29-2021, 12:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome from the Fenlands of England!

It sounds like you produce some very interesting photographs—feel free to share some of them!

Hopefully some members of the community can direct you to suitable ring flashes.
06-29-2021, 02:16 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, I have a ring light from Bolt(I’m not where I can check the model). But it is a light, not a flash, it is very easy to use and was inexpensive to buy.

06-29-2021, 03:10 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland
06-30-2021, 01:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by silvioprudencio Quote
Hello, from Brazil !!

I'm happy to found this comunity. I've been a loyal PENTAX user since the days of analog photography. Currently I develop scientific photography and macrophotography, but also other modalities. Looking for specific ringflashes for PENTAX, which hasn't been very easy to find.
Welcome to the forum. Good to have a loyal Pentaxian. I'll wager some of your scientific photos will be quite interesting.
06-30-2021, 07:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum! I'm on the same boat, looking for a ring light. I use the dfa 100mm and there was a thread about being worried about attaching a ring light to the lens ring which is on the bit that extends pretty far out from the lens

06-30-2021, 10:24 PM   #8

Welcome to the Forum.
07-01-2021, 03:05 AM   #9
Pentaxian

You will find plenty of help in this forum.
Looking for specific ringflashes for PENTAX, which hasn't been very easy to find.
I do technical macro photography using a ring flash I bought for $20 on Ebay. Cobra Macrofalsh reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database Not Pentax dedicated, just a basic sync lead. I took care to get one with a safe low trigger voltage though. You will need to pay a silly price for a dedicated ring flash.

Not sure what scientific subjects you have in mind but with technical photos there is no rush, so there is time to get exposure right (trial and error is possible with a digital camera) and it is not hard to set the shutter to the sync speed yourself instead of a dedicated unit doing it for you. A dedicated unit would not add much for me.
07-01-2021, 06:24 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a Sunpak DX-8R Ringflash with a Pentax module. It's nice enough. I was advised to learn to use it manually, and that made a big difference. You don't need TTL for macro. You just need to know your conditions, and manual setup will do just fine.
On a sunny day I can use the flash at 1/8 power, ISO 100, f/16 or f/20, 1/160sec shutter speed. This is with a 100mm macro lens.

Look for a real strobe flash - but you don't necessarily need a ring flash. I've had success with the little 201FG in manual mode too. There are plenty of guys who use standard flashes with directors and diffusers.
07-01-2021, 07:35 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I understand we think very similar, Lord Lucan. In fact I do not necessarily look for a flash exactly dedicated, but that has the flash divided into 2 independent adjustable sides, even if in manual mode (my preferred), and, if possible, with synchronized shooting in back curtain. Certainly the most dedicated are very expensive. And there is little availability for PENTAX on the market

---------- Post added 07-01-21 at 07:46 PM ----------

Exact, Ter-Or! I'm using the PENTAX AF560 FGZ attached to a handle off the camera, tilted to the end of the lens, and lighting a circular plastic diffuser that wraps around the object (like a little bowl); the diffuser is coupled to the lens as a parasol, and the flash focuses just on it. I saw good ideas on this site: Extreme Macro Photography . It is well targeted at PENTAX.

When I took this way of lighting for photos on the field, I did tests that convinced me. I measured with minolta flashmeter the shot in the diffuser's mouth, varying flash loads, and, with ISO until 200, and apertures between f8 and f32, i needed very low loads for good result. And it's a relatively light system.

Last edited by silvioprudencio; 07-01-2021 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Complementation
07-02-2021, 12:55 AM   #12
Closed Account

Welcome from Australia.
07-02-2021, 01:18 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I understand we think very similar, Lord Lucan. In fact I do not necessarily look for a flash exactly dedicated, but that has the flash divided into 2 independent adjustable sides, even if in manual mode (my preferred), and, if possible, with synchronized shooting in back curtain. Certainly the most dedicated are very expensive. And there is little availability for PENTAX on the market
The only dedicated flashes supporting PTTL that I'm aware of are the excellent but expensive and long discontinued Pentax AF160 FC and the Sigma EM-140 Pentax (not sure if there was a Metz in PTTL). But as pointed out above, that may not be needed in your application. From a quality of light perspective, the Pentax seems a lot more even.

Mechanically, in conjunction with the DFA100WR, the AF160 FC is the only off-the-shelf solid solution, attaching to the lens barrel. I adapted that concept to a super inexpensive manual flash from Viltrox, which provides a comparatively good quality of light because it covers a large angle with its two tube sections, much more than the Sigma and the twin-flash like Metz. But it developed a high voltage cable problem ... For older manual lenses with a solid lens tube, there shouldn't be an issue with the screw-in attachments of course and the generic flashes with two sections will all work fine.
07-02-2021, 01:59 AM   #14
Pentaxian

A footnote to my previous post, I have become a bit disillusioned with ring flash for technical subjects because of the glare that can be reflected straight back from the metal parts that are usually in my shots. So lately I have been prefering using brolly lighting, giving softer all-round light. I think ring flash is more suited to natural objects - it was originally invented for medical photography I believe.
07-02-2021, 04:01 AM   #15

Hello, from Brazil !!

I have also been looking for a decent Pentax ringflash for macro-photography. Would love to hear any recommendations.