Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2021, 06:18 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dennis Forster Quote
I have also been looking for a decent Pentax ringflash for macro-photography. Would love to hear any recommendations.
I'm using a Sunpak DX-8R. You do not need TTL for macro. This Sunpak is so powerful I usually only use it at 1/8 power in sunlight. 1/4 is it's overcast. Have a look at my Flickr if you want to see examples.

07-02-2021, 11:28 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
A footnote to my previous post, I have become a bit disillusioned with ring flash for technical subjects because of the glare that can be reflected straight back from the metal parts that are usually in my shots. So lately I have been prefering using brolly lighting, giving softer all-round light. I think ring flash is more suited to natural objects - it was originally invented for medical photography I believe.
Even for 'natural objects' such as insects, I prefer to use the ring flash as fill only, especially from the underside. My main light is either a speedlight mounted on a bracket, with a diffuser (mini-octobox) close to the lens, or a flash with umbrella on a light stand, because that often allows to also illuminate the background. A ring flash is hard to beat for quick documentary shots, to capture a rare sight like a hard to find species with good confidence in the light setup and good detail in the main subject - when the overall composition and light is secondary.
07-03-2021, 07:41 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I'm using a Sunpak DX-8R. You do not need TTL for macro. This Sunpak is so powerful I usually only use it at 1/8 power in sunlight. 1/4 is it's overcast. Have a look at my Flickr if you want to see examples.
Thank you - I will have a look