Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-29-2021, 03:09 PM   #1

Hello everyone!

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Greetings, everyone! I just started into film photography a few months ago. I am sort of lost here trying to find information I need. I am interested in getting a wide angel lens, and possible a portrait lens for my k1000. I want to make sure I'm getting the proper information. Can anyone else me in choosing a lens for my k1000? Thank you so much!

06-29-2021, 03:13 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's a list of genuine Pentax options:

<= 85mm Legacy Lenses with Manual Focus | PentaxForums.com

The 28mm F2.8 is a great go-to lens. How wide do you want to go?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-29-2021, 03:53 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi and welcome. There is a 24mm f2.8 made by cosina but branded Miranda in the UK. Its a lovely lens and doesn't cost the earth. Another really nice and really reasonable wide lens is the Tokina RMC 28mm f2.8. Generally Pentax-M lenses cost a bit more and anything wider than 28mm cost a whole lot more. Chinon and Cosina both made K mount film cameras. Sometimes its cheaper to buy a "camera kit" than a lens, although then you are taking a gamble on the quality of the lens. If you do see a lens you fancy, always google [Lens name] review Pentax. This will generally lead you to the review pages. Have fun
06-29-2021, 04:08 PM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drinkyT Quote
Greetings, everyone! I just started into film photography a few months ago. I am sort of lost here trying to find information I need. I am interested in getting a wide angel lens, and possible a portrait lens for my k1000. I want to make sure I'm getting the proper information. Can anyone else me in choosing a lens for my k1000? Thank you so much!
welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

these charts are helpful

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-Mount Lens Series Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series
Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-mount Lens Compatibility Chart
The Pentax K-mount Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

this article might be of interest

QuoteQuote:
Manual Focus Lens Choices for Pentax
That old glass is amazing!
By K David in Articles and Tips on Jul 19, 2015
Read more at: Manual Focus Lens Choices for Pentax - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 06-29-2021 at 04:15 PM.
06-29-2021, 05:16 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum. Lots of smart people here; don't be afraid to ask questions. I got a Soligor 28mm f/2.8 (M42) lens last week, and it is pretty darn good. They made three variants; the one I have uses a 62mm filter size. Odds are you can find one at a great price (I go mine for $10 CAD).
06-29-2021, 05:54 PM   #6
Closed Account

Hi from Australia.
06-29-2021, 06:20 PM   #7
Inactive Account

The lens review section is probably my most favorite section here. Check out the "A, M, K lenses under Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses".

06-29-2021, 06:24 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
The lens review section is probably my most favorite section here. Check out the "A, M, K lenses under Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses".
Are these lenses the only ones made? I was looking at the page but I literally have no idea about lenses.
06-29-2021, 06:26 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Here's a list of genuine Pentax options:

<= 85mm Legacy Lenses with Manual Focus | PentaxForums.com

The 28mm F2.8 is a great go-to lens. How wide do you want to go?
Could you give me a hand? The lens reviews are super helpful but I don't know what I'm looking for. There are so many lenses and I don't want to get a super cheap one. I just need someone to explain this stuff to me.
06-29-2021, 06:27 PM   #10

Original Poster
Hey again everyone! Thanks for the help and welcomes. I'm on the Pentax Prime lens review page. How do I choose one? In my head the most expensive ones are the best, however, I'm not sure what I am looking for here.
06-29-2021, 06:39 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Portrait photography is more a matter of technique and composition than any specific lens. A lens with an aperture of 2.8 or wider with a focal length between 50mm and 135mm will meet your needs, and many of those can be found used for less than US $100.
06-29-2021, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #12
Inactive Account

Are these lenses the only ones made? I was looking at the page but I literally have no idea about lenses.
The lens review page on this website is one of the most completed Pentax lenses in the world, I am not kidding
So yes, I can say with 99.99% sure that if any one made lenses for Pentax, it will likely be listed here.

People posted guide to Pentax's lenses earlier and I think it is very useful to read.

Your k1000 is using Pentax K-mount so when you look at the review page, you look for "K-Mount Lenses" on the red title bar with white text.
Lenses start with DA, D FA are Digital lenses (D for digital) It doesn't have Aperture ring which you don't want to use it because your K1000 can not control the f-stop setting on those digital lenses
Lenses start with FA, F, are lenses with Aperture ring and Auto focus. You can use it with K1000 but you might don't want to pay for autofocus lenses.
Lenses start with A, M, K are what you want to look at. they are manual lenses.
M42 Screwmount Lenses: you will need a screwmount adapter.

That is a quick rundown. Read Pentax lens guide that other people posted for more details.

and to select lenses, I usually read what the reviewers write and look at their sample photo.

Last edited by tokyoscape; 06-29-2021 at 07:24 PM.
06-29-2021, 09:07 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
The lens review page on this website is one of the most completed Pentax lenses in the world, I am not kidding
So yes, I can say with 99.99% sure that if any one made lenses for Pentax, it will likely be listed here.

People posted guide to Pentax's lenses earlier and I think it is very useful to read.

Your k1000 is using Pentax K-mount so when you look at the review page, you look for "K-Mount Lenses" on the red title bar with white text.
Lenses start with DA, D FA are Digital lenses (D for digital) It doesn't have Aperture ring which you don't want to use it because your K1000 can not control the f-stop setting on those digital lenses
Lenses start with FA, F, are lenses with Aperture ring and Auto focus. You can use it with K1000 but you might don't want to pay for autofocus lenses.
Lenses start with A, M, K are what you want to look at. they are manual lenses.
M42 Screwmount Lenses: you will need a screwmount adapter.

That is a quick rundown. Read Pentax lens guide that other people posted for more details.

and to select lenses, I usually read what the reviewers write and look at their sample photo.

Thanks so much for the information! So I can use FA, F, A, M, K and they will work perfectly? I purchased one from ebay "
Asahi SMC Pentax M 24mm f/2.8 With Bayonet Mount For K1000". I will be in search of a few other lenses sometime sooner. I'm just so new to this I don't want to buy things that will not work properly. How can I learn about lenses? I have an x570 that I want to get a few for. I'm not being lazy by asking for help, I just want to educate myself better!! Thanks so much!
06-29-2021, 09:28 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thanks so much for the information! So I can use FA, F, A, M, K and they will work perfectly? I purchased one from ebay "
Asahi SMC Pentax M 24mm f/2.8 With Bayonet Mount For K1000". I will be in search of a few other lenses sometime sooner. I'm just so new to this I don't want to buy things that will not work properly. How can I learn about lenses? I have an x570 that I want to get a few for. I'm not being lazy by asking for help, I just want to educate myself better!! Thanks so much!
The nice thing about Pentax lenses is that it's hard to run into compatibility issues on film cameras. The full overview can be found here. As you can see, if you stick to manual focus lenses, they will all work with the K1000:

The Pentax K-mount Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

The page aslyfox linked above will help you understand more about the terminology:

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

Another nice thing about Pentax lenses is that there are very few "bad" ones, as the overall level of quality is both historically and currently quite high. The reviews will help highlight lenses that are popular and/or exceptional.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-29-2021, 09:32 PM - 1 Like   #15
Inactive Account

Thanks so much for the information! So I can use FA, F, A, M, K and they will work perfectly?
Yes, FA, F, A, M, K can be fully controlled by your K1000.
FA and F comes with autofocus so it will be a bit pricy but you can always manual focus them.
If I remember it correctly, M is the series that came out around K1000 came out. A,M,K are what I would consider if I am using film body.
In addition, you can also use both new and old lenses from the third party makers with your K1000 for as long as it make for Pentax "K Mount" + it has the "Aperture ring".

I'm just so new to this I don't want to buy things that will not work properly. How can I learn about lenses?
You can always come back to ask about a new lens before you buy it. Give enough information and people here will be happy to help you.
Check out the market place here too. I trust people here more than seller on Ebay.
I learn about lenses by read, see sample image, ask, and buy it. Use it if I don't like it, I will sell it and buy a new one I guess it is the same as everyone.

Last edited by tokyoscape; 06-29-2021 at 09:38 PM.