Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2021, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #1

A little bit of my photography... journey?

My first introduction to photography was through a subject in college.
I remember my friends and I used to share one camera just to be able to shoot and submit the photos required for the subject.(Teamwork )
It was a fun subject and experience although we did not focus mainly on photography.
Also, that subject made me realize how amazing photography could be.
I got really curious and wished I had my own camera...
Then I knew that I would definitely buy a camera when I get to work and have enough budget.
Little did I know, I would buy a phone first.
So yeah I did mobile photography(if I could even call that mobile photography) for a few years first.
When I finally got my own camera, I did not know what I was doing.
That is why I decided to join here.. hoping to see some light?
Hoping to deepen my knowledge, learn more... And hoping to find people with the same interest.

I would like to know if anyone could also share a bit of their photography... journey?
Btw, Nice to meet you all.

07-04-2021, 05:35 AM - 1 Like   #2
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum! Hope you find some inspiration from the people here.
07-04-2021, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome from the wilds of Canada - glad to have you hear.
Everyone started photography somewhere. For me, it was mostly developing film for the high school yearbook (showing my age) and shooting with a Pentax Super Program. Decades later, I was surprised to find I could get paid for my work (product shots).
07-04-2021, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome aboard, enjoy all that the forum has to offer

07-04-2021, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum. My photography journey started with a 35mm compact, shooting family moments. It was then that I realized I would have much more to discover. Not having enough budget or experience, I didnít know how to start, so I waited and took a lot of boring-or not- phone photos. Then there was this digital 1mp hp camera. That was really fun. Still working. Then some other digital compacts, I learned a lot about composition, doing some project work, during my studies. When I finally got to try a film slr , I was amazed. Itís been fun. I tried bridge cameras too. But my Pentax dslr is what I am really happy with. I hope you enjoy your time here. Thereís a ton to learn. Sharing your photos is a good start. The community is very active and friendly.
Greetings from Greece.
07-04-2021, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #6
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forums from Australia. I started my SLR journey with Exa and moved tp Pentax as soon as I could afford to. I am still with Pentax DSLRs (and the Q system) and not planning to go anywhere else - although a Pansonic superzoom is a handy companion when I am working.
07-04-2021, 11:53 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums from the Fenlands of England!

Since you asked: my photography journey started in earnest when I carried an 8 megapixel Olympus point-and-shoot with me off to college, and then onto a foreign-exchange trip to Peru.
I quickly realized that I needed a little bit better equipment, so I got a 12 megapixel Olympus E-PM1, one of the first mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras. I used my E-PM1 for almost 10 years, taking it with me on archaeological fieldwork and other international adventures until I realized that I wanted more.
Earlier this year I bought a new Panasonic G-80 to take advantage of the micro 4/3 gear I already owned, but I also recently bought a used Pentax K-5 that's in good condition.
During this pandemic, I've also spent a lot of time learning about vintage lenses and Pentax film bodies. I ound super deals on a Pentax ME, S1a and Spotmatic, so I'll be shooting film on those soon!

07-05-2021, 06:17 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Welcome to the forum! Hope you find some inspiration from the people here.
Thank you. I hope too
07-05-2021, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
Thank you from the islands of the Philippines
I think film developing is amazing... and getting paid for your work as well.

---------- Post added 07-05-21 at 06:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
Welcome to the forum. My photography journey started with a 35mm compact, shooting family moments. It was then that I realized I would have much more to discover. Not having enough budget or experience, I didnít know how to start, so I waited and took a lot of boring-or not- phone photos. Then there was this digital 1mp hp camera. That was really fun. Still working. Then some other digital compacts, I learned a lot about composition, doing some project work, during my studies. When I finally got to try a film slr , I was amazed. Itís been fun. I tried bridge cameras too. But my Pentax dslr is what I am really happy with. I hope you enjoy your time here. Thereís a ton to learn. Sharing your photos is a good start. The community is very active and friendly.
Greetings from Greece.
Thank you for sharing That was a really fun journey.
I'd want to try different cameras too someday.
But maybe I'll start with ...(I'll take your advice) sharing my photo first..soon.

---------- Post added 07-05-21 at 06:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Welcome to the Forums from Australia. I started my SLR journey with Exa and moved tp Pentax as soon as I could afford to. I am still with Pentax DSLRs (and the Q system) and not planning to go anywhere else - although a Pansonic superzoom is a handy companion when I am working.
Thank you from the Philippines
Wow, now I'm interested in Pentax DSLRs. I haven't tried one. My buddy now is Q-S1
Pentax is not widely used here although I see some in the forum from my country. (Hi there)
Or I'm not just that active in finding the likes (signs of introverted person)

---------- Post added 07-05-21 at 07:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by archaeodude Quote
Welcome to the forums from the Fenlands of England!

Since you asked: my photography journey started in earnest when I carried an 8 megapixel Olympus point-and-shoot with me off to college, and then onto a foreign-exchange trip to Peru.
I quickly realized that I needed a little bit better equipment, so I got a 12 megapixel Olympus E-PM1, one of the first mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras. I used my E-PM1 for almost 10 years, taking it with me on archaeological fieldwork and other international adventures until I realized that I wanted more.
Earlier this year I bought a new Panasonic G-80 to take advantage of the micro 4/3 gear I already owned, but I also recently bought a used Pentax K-5 that's in good condition.
During this pandemic, I've also spent a lot of time learning about vintage lenses and Pentax film bodies. I ound super deals on a Pentax ME, S1a and Spotmatic, so I'll be shooting film on those soon!
Thank you for the welcome
Amazing travels with a buddy (camera). Shooting film sounds exciting. Good luck!
07-05-2021, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #10

Welcome to the Forum.
07-06-2021, 06:30 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by uno2019 Quote
My first introduction to photography was through a subject in college.
I remember my friends and I used to share one camera just to be able to shoot and submit the photos required for the subject.(Teamwork )
It was a fun subject and experience although we did not focus mainly on photography.
Also, that subject made me realize how amazing photography could be.
I got really curious and wished I had my own camera...
Then I knew that I would definitely buy a camera when I get to work and have enough budget.
Little did I know, I would buy a phone first.
So yeah I did mobile photography(if I could even call that mobile photography) for a few years first.
When I finally got my own camera, I did not know what I was doing.
That is why I decided to join here.. hoping to see some light?
Hoping to deepen my knowledge, learn more... And hoping to find people with the same interest.

I would like to know if anyone could also share a bit of their photography... journey?
Hi and Welcome: My photography journey is quite a long one...lol, I started photography when I joined the military(US Coast Guard) back in 1999. My first camera was an Olympus OM-1 film camera which I liked but it got stolen from me....I had saved up and then I bought a Pentax...I can not remember the name for the world of me...again it was a film camera....I loved that camera and it would serve me for about 5 years, when I decided to save up and get the Pentax istD..decent camera. Then I went on to the Pentax K-5, Pentax K-7. Needing more reach I had to move out of the Pentax world and I wound up with a Nikon D500...but honestly I missed my Pentax cameras....so just recently I bought Pentax k-3 with some lenses at an estate sale..all in perfect condition. That is where I am now. I also do videography with my drone...just bought that too...so I am new to drones!!
07-07-2021, 08:22 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum, Uno2019, glad to have you here.

My photography journey began in high school with a Kodak Instamatic that I used for snapshots in school and college. My Dad passed away and i inherited his 8mm movie camera and all the associated equipment of film editor, projector and screen with cases for it all. A few years later, while in the military, the movie camera had a mechanical malfunction which was repaired. That was in 1970 and I wanted a way to take photos so bought a Petri FT. Soon after I obtained additional lenses for the Petri. Fast forward to the early 1980s and my Petri had a small problem so to replace it I bought a Pentax K1000 which still functions perfectly. With the advent of digital, I bought a istD, then two Kx and more recently a K70. I still have the K1000 and a replacement Petri FT. I'll stay with Pentax.
07-21-2021, 02:32 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums.
07-21-2021, 04:12 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by uno2019 Quote

Welcome to the forums
My photography journey is similar to your early journey, it started in college.
Back in Bangkok, I had 2 mandatory photography classes for my major. I picked an odd camera, Pentax Z1 as my tool and keep on shooting after graduated.
My last roll of film with the Z1 was the King Dome demolition day in Seattle. After that I sold camera & lenses on eBay and stop photography for a while.
Move to Japan, I get myself a new K5 to get back with photography again. Now with a K3.
Future: Not in hurry but will for sure get a FF mirrorless body.
07-23-2021, 02:29 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi and welcome. My photographic journey began when I as a teen.
My oldest brother came home from the Navy with a Minolta 101.
I later saved up and got an Minolta 202 and the an Olympus OM-2n.
My DSLR journey started with a Pentax K-50.