Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2008, 10:02 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Brisbane, Australia

I have found a lot of useful information on this forum site over the past two months, so I took the plunge and have joined. There is a lot of good will here, very good information and it is partly due to this site that I finalised my decision to purchase a Pentax over a Nikon.

I have a lot of respect for all of the major DSLR producers, but I think Pentax is a company that has shown more loyalty to its followers in its planning than any of the other companies. I also think you get more bang for your buck too.

I have now had my K100d for a month and I love it. My pictures have some how made up half of all of the pictures used in my workplace's public newsletter (and I do not think it is my skill- the camera is very good, I just encourage it a little), and the best thing is that I now look at the world everyday with different eyes. I notice the light and darkness, the shades of colour and of grey, the movement of wind on the water.

Even though you did not know I was lurking, I would like to thank you all for your help, all the contributors, and I really enjoy how you see the world, and how you enjoy sharing your understanding of it.

Last edited by sjcoz; 11-29-2008 at 02:05 AM.
11-28-2008, 10:14 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Welcome to the forum, it's mostly a good crowd here and you will definitely learn a lot.
11-28-2008, 11:31 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Greetings from just up the road from you

I'm exactly the same, have been lurking here for quite a while but only just joined.
11-29-2008, 01:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Big welcome, mate. There's quite a few forum members in Brissie - enough to start a club, I'd say.
Look forward to seeing some photos soon. I have a K100 too. Excellent value and a pleasure to use.

11-29-2008, 01:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums and the Pentax family
11-29-2008, 02:14 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Welcome, sjcoz. From where did you take the shots of the Capt. Cook Bridge? The Rotunda at Kangaroo Point Cliffs?

Dan.
11-29-2008, 04:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum too. This is turning into an Aussie forum.
11-29-2008, 10:13 AM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum, gotta feeling we need to rename the forum if we get many more Aussies in here.

11-29-2008, 01:30 PM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

G'day mate.
Never too many Aussies.
Keep it coming...

And welcome, you'll find a wealth of info and find yourself getting better at taking photos with time.
11-29-2008, 03:46 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome

Gary started the welcome ball rolling, from over in Canada, and then the Australian's chimed in, and I started to realise that there are a few of us on here. Within 15 hours of me joining, six Aussies have said hello.

I think Kerrodown from Scotland is a little surprised?
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, gotta feeling we need to rename the forum if we get many more Aussies in here.
I have a theory. When the Australian Dollar leaped up, the prices of cameras went down and maybe Australian's started buying? I know I made the leap because the K100d with the Sigma 18-125mm F3.5-5.6 was on sale for $499 (I think I got the last one). The price on the box was $1199, so it much more accessible today, than last year. Anyway, it is one of the best things I have done for my self creatively.

Are there any others who are in a similar position? Dan has noted that the K200d are at a great price at the moment too, so maybe it is just that it is getting cheaper. Our dollar has taken a dive, yet the prices are still good...
11-29-2008, 04:12 PM   #11

Original Poster
From the rotunda

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
Welcome, sjcoz. From where did you take the shots of the Capt. Cook Bridge? The Rotunda at Kangaroo Point Cliffs?

Dan.
Hi Dan

Almost right, I was a little further south of the rotunda for those shots. I got a better view of Southbank and the Brisbane Eye

I was driving home from work, and had the camera, but no tripod, but the light was dark blue and purple, and I had not seen it like that, so I got a few shots off. I wish I had had a tripod with me. I did take some shots from the rotunda itself, and using the widow frames of the stone walls to support me, supporting the camera. Here is a cropped view of one of the better ones.
Attached Images

11-29-2008, 04:19 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Welcome to the forum too. This is turning into an Aussie forum.
Thanks for the welcome-

I just visited your website- impressive. The street photography is great, and Melbourne makes a great backdrop which you capture with a highly creative eye.
11-29-2008, 09:02 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sjcoz Quote
I was driving home from work, and had the camera, but no tripod, but the light was dark blue and purple, and I had not seen it like that, so I got a few shots off. I wish I had had a tripod with me. I did take some shots from the rotunda itself, and using the widow frames of the stone walls to support me, supporting the camera. Here is a cropped view of one of the better ones.
Yeah, you need to use a tripod & the 2s shooting delay. I've shot from the KP cliffs or the bottom of them about 5 times in the last year, usually further towards the city end. I'm still trying for a really good shot. Here are some attempts:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/39621-brisbane-city-kang...nt-cliffs.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/29856-kangaroo-point-river-shoots.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/29855-kangaroo-point-sunrise-over-city.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/29343-brisbane-city-kang...nt-cliffs.html
11-29-2008, 10:46 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Hello (and soon, goodbye) from a fellow Brisbanian!

What part of the River City do you call home?
11-30-2008, 12:41 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Welcome to another Aussie, great to have you aboard.
The more Aussies the better. Worldwide you are joining with a really great group of people, who are all to willing to help and encourage you.