Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2008, 06:37 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
I'm new, and I have many questions...

Hi, after 40+ years in other formats I just started using a "manual" Pentax 645 and really like it, but I have several related questions which I am looking for answers to including: I am currently using the 200mm lens which I love, but I like landscapes and outdoor photography so I am looking for a "shorter" lens (like the 45 or 55 or maybe that 45-85 zoom) where would you experts look for the best prices for used "A mount" lenses (eBay doesn't seem to have much and a lot of it is used Adorama rental stuff in bad shape)? Are there lenses other than those made by Pentax which will meter and "work fully" (I guess all I mean there is meter?) with manual 645's? I understand there is an adapter that goes from these "A mount" lenses to "K mount" cameras; if I switch my Nikon digital hardware for Pentax (not medium format; the Ks) digital, would I get metering with those leneses? I also "came into possesion" of a Polaroid back for the unit, is it still possible to get the "film packs" for those units; and what are they; I have searched the Web over and over and can't fins any docs on those "Forscher NPC Proback" units; like not even what film they use.

Thanks for any help,

Phil

11-29-2008, 10:11 AM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum, there are some clever folk in here, who will be able to answer your questions.

Shame I'm not one of them..............................................
11-29-2008, 07:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, ...I don't know all the ins and outs of lenses for the 645: I'd just suggest you ask yourself why you're using medium format before you stick a zoom on there: if it's for optimum sharpness, say, for landscapes and all that other stuff, putting a zoom on there kind of defeats the purpose. (Not that it wouldn't be fun: if I was going to put a zoom on a medium format camera, that would probably be the one. ) The 75 is the standard lens for that camera, if I recall, and they did make wides.

If you don't like your chances on Ebay, (I've been searching on SMC-A a lot lately, and there seem to be a lot of 645 lenses out there) you might even try the marketplace here.
12-01-2008, 08:44 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by secondsound Quote
...have searched the Web over and over and can't fins any docs on those "Forscher NPC Proback" units; like not even what film they use.
Hi there Phil...

You'll love your "new" 645.
The film you need is Fujifilm FP-100C (comes in silk or matte) or for B/W FP-100B. They're about 10 Euro per pack (10 exposures).
Concerning the zoom lenses: I own the 45-85 and the 80-160. Both are absolutely great lenses and I don't miss not using my primes one bit...

Hope this helps; greets from Cologne, Germany
Michael

PS: In some old forum threads like photo.net etc... I found that Philipp von Roeder offered to send the NPC Proback Manual to anyone who asks for it at philippvonroeder@web.de Perhaps he'll send you a copy if you send him a friendly email...

PPS: Also, do search the web for "polaroid dye transfers"... Great stuff!!!

Last edited by carpediem007; 12-01-2008 at 08:52 AM.
12-01-2008, 02:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hey Phil, I'm not one of the experts but wanted to Welcome you to the forum.
12-03-2008, 07:09 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carpediem007 Quote
Hi there Phil...

You'll love your "new" 645.
The film you need is Fujifilm FP-100C (comes in silk or matte) or for B/W FP-100B. They're about 10 Euro per pack (10 exposures).
Concerning the zoom lenses: I own the 45-85 and the 80-160. Both are absolutely great lenses and I don't miss not using my primes one bit...

Hope this helps; greets from Cologne, Germany
Michael

PS: In some old forum threads like photo.net etc... I found that Philipp von Roeder offered to send the NPC Proback Manual to anyone who asks for it at philippvonroeder@web.de Perhaps he'll send you a copy if you send him a friendly email...

PPS: Also, do search the web for "polaroid dye transfers"... Great stuff!!!
Thanks very much, I found the manual and the Fuji film is not at all hard to find, I really appreciate it.
12-03-2008, 08:27 AM   #7

Pleasure...

Just let us see some examples of your work when "it all comes together"...

Cheers,
Michael