Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2021, 11:00 AM   #1

New to photography, film, and Pentax

Hi everyone!

My name is Lexi and I recently acquired a Pentax K1000, alongside a Pentax ME Super after my grandmother saw mine and dug through her garage!

I am taking History in university and hoping to go into Law into my future after a gap year. I really wanted a hobby for when I travel on my gap year and drawing, as much as I love it, doesn’t fit the always-moving vibe I was going for.

So I researched into film cameras and found the only one for sale in my area. My family is feeling old watching me fawn over loading the film and rewinding it every time, but it sure is different than even the disposables I have used before. Photography is something I have enjoyed and succeeded in the most simple way, like my friends always wanting me to take pictures on our phones because I angle it just right. Now, I have a real challenge!

I am so excited to start my photography journey. Modelling is something I have tried before and despised it. I love being behind the camera and the art of faking a photo. Everyone here takes stunning pictures and I can’t wait to learn and grow with this hobby!!

07-19-2021, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome. Don’t worry about gear at first, Learning the relationship of Aperture, Shutter , and ISO will help you very much, and there are hundreds of tutorials available on the Internet.
Technique is important, so is learning some composition guidelines and practice them even if you don’t have a camera.
I look forward to seeing the results
07-19-2021, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #3

Welcome to the Forum.
07-19-2021, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

The K1000 is a good camera to learn on as it has so few features. I learned in a Spotmatic don't remember the model as that was in 1973

Rob is correct focus and learning the basics and everything else will fall into place. Warning though this forum has too many posters that will try to get you to buy more and more gear. My theory is their reason is for them to then tell their spouses that they are not that bad , look at how much stuff this other guy has. 😀. Maybe I exaggerate a little.

There are many film shooters on this forum, some are relatively new at it and others started probably around the same time as your grandmother for her ME Super or even before that.

This is a friendly place and never be afraid to ask questions about either photography or your cameras.

Is your location Saskatchewan?

07-19-2021, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum
07-19-2021, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax Forums. I also have a K-1000. It did very well for me when I shot film. It is also built well.
07-20-2021, 01:14 AM - 1 Like   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy your journey into photography with Pentax.

07-20-2021, 02:52 AM - 1 Like   #8
Forum Member

Welcome! I also a new Pentaxian who recently has traded his Nikon to Pentax K-1.
07-20-2021, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Murpheye, welcome to the forum. I started my photography with a Petri FT, but after a few years and the petri had a problem I opted for the Pentax K1000. As CJones wrote, it was built well. I should say it IS built well, I still have mine and it still functions perfectly. I also agree with a the others who said to concentrate on the basics for now. If possible take an online tutorial or class about them and progress from there. Photography is a hobby, a profession, and maybe even a lifestyle. Practice, practice, and practice some more. Good luck with your journey through college, life and photography.
07-20-2021, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums from the fenlands of England!

You've come to the right forum if you want to learn about doing photography the Pentax way. Many members are friendly and helpful, especially to those of us that ask questions and post actively on others' threads.

Enjoy your cameras, and have a good time on your gap year—where are you planning to go?
07-20-2021, 05:59 PM   #11

Welcome, Lexi! I started with film cameras growing up (mostly point-and-shoot), but now am back into it. The forums are a wonderful resource— hope you enjoy!
Tim
07-20-2021, 08:46 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forums! Enjoy!
07-20-2021, 09:12 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome! The K1000 is the camera I learned on. It's great for learning since it is perpetually in 'M' mode
07-21-2021, 01:38 AM   #14
Forum Member

Welcome! Pentax is very interesting system to master that is certainly able to deliver.
07-21-2021, 01:58 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome from New Zealand Lexi!

aotearoa