Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-29-2021, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #1

Pentax-A 645 lenses for Fujifilm GFX 50R

Hi everyone.

By way of an introduction, I'm a keen amateur photographer of many decades. I've used various Fujifilm X cameras (since original X100 in 2011) and I'm currently Secretary of Otley Camera Club (Yorkshire). Earlier this year, I bought a Fujifilm GFX 50R, with which I used a few Voigtlander lenses. But shallow DoF and some vignetting has proved troublesome. Fujinon GFX lenses are reputedly excellent - but expensive and some have been on back-order now for over 6 months.

I had to look for a better solution. Now, the medium format 50R is best described as ponderous (especially in AF mode) but produces excellent images (in the right hands). It turns out (I've found) that Pentax-A 645 lenses are a great match for this camera. With 1 caveat - you'll probably know that the aperture control ring doesn't directly control the aperture opening - merely limits the opening via the camera's own control lever. Therefore, an adapter for the 645 to GFX requires a mechanical aperture control itself. I've found one in the Fotodiox Pro P645 to GFX. Not cheap, but a perfect fit and easy to use.

Over the past month I've purchased (eBay) these A 645 lenses:- 35mm f3.5; 45mm f2.8; and 120mm Macro. They're all in excellent condition and have finger-light focus control. They are - in my opinion - a perfect match for the GFX 50R (if you like full manual control, as I do). I already have a favourite - the 35mm (28mm equiv FF) is an excellent all-rounder and produces stellar resolution & colours. Moreover, post processing (I use Capture One) allows massive latitude in colour balance; brightness and tonality, compared to anything I've previously experienced.

One very important plus point for these A 645 lenses is - they're generally well looked after and inexpensive (eBay). I am a convert and thankful that I may yet recover from the dreaded GAS, now that I have an excellent camera bag!

Thanks for listening. I hope to post some suitably representative images in the near future.
S

07-29-2021, 04:16 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy all that it has to offer you.
07-29-2021, 08:15 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking forward to seeing the images.
07-30-2021, 01:12 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome and thanks for sharing your experience.

07-30-2021, 05:03 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StonkinPix Quote
With 1 caveat - you'll probably know that the aperture control ring doesn't directly control the aperture opening - merely limits the opening via the camera's own control lever. Therefore, an adapter for the 645 to GFX requires a mechanical aperture control itself. I've found one in the Fotodiox Pro P645 to GFX. Not cheap, but a perfect fit and easy to use.
Welcome to the forum. You could post some of your results in the medium format pics thread, which is brand and film/digital agnostic.

I'm not sure what you mean about the aperture ring. When not on the A setting on the aperture ring, setting the aperture on the ring stops the lens down to the specified aperture and any "dumb" adapter which just provides a tube with a Fuji lens mount on one end and a Pentax 645 camera mount on the other will do.
07-30-2021, 10:22 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum. We like converts.