Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2021, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #1

Hello from Derbyshire

Hello one and all.

My name is Gary and I live on the border between Yorkshire and Derbyshire. Living here allows me to photograph some great landscapes if I were interested in that, but alas it is not the sort of photography that I am interested in.

My interest in photography started many years ago and I purchased a new K10D thinking I would be taking award winning photo's in next to no time, well how wrong was I It soon became apparent that I was absolutely clueless, no matter what I did my photo's were awful and the fact that I had absolutely no idea how to use the camera did not help matters. I ended up really disliking landscape and portrait photography.

I have always had a fondness for Macro photography and thought I would try my luck at that. I went out and purchased a Tamron 18-250mm macro lens thinking it was a "proper" macro lens. So after struggling to do any real close up photography I decided photography just was not for me and the camera went into the cupboard where all unwanted items seem to end up in.

A decade later I had reason to go into the cupboard and seen the K10D hiding in the corner, after risking life and limb I rescued it, I purchased a new charger and 2 new batteries and my interest in Macro photography was instantly rekindled. I took a few pics and realised I did not have a lead to transfer them to my PC so whilst ordering one I decided to also get a tripod as well as tube extensions.

I have a lot more time these days and will spend some of it learning all the various things that I should know about the camera, due to retirement funds are in short supply these days but I hope to eventually upgrade my camera, I am still put off with landscape and portrait photography and hope to be able to beat the macro puzzle.

Gary

08-06-2021, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by garno Quote
I have a lot more time these days and will spend some of it learning all the various things that I should know about the camera, due to retirement funds are in short supply these days but I hope to eventually upgrade my camera, I am still put off with landscape and portrait photography and hope to be able to beat the macro puzzle.

Gary
Welcome aboard Gary. You live in a very photogenic location for landscape with tons of opportunity around you so please do give it another try.

There are lots of great youtubers that can guide you on your way, take a look here:
Recommended YouTube Channels for Photography - PentaxForums.com

There are macro threads around here too. I think you will need a dedicated macro prime though, that zoom lens may not get you to where you want to be.

Have fun and ask questions as needed, there will always be help available.
08-06-2021, 01:03 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax Forums.
08-06-2021, 01:03 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums. Soak up all the knowledge to be a better photographer. We all have some knowledge to share and lots to learn, too.

08-06-2021, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland... I wish you well in your quest.
08-06-2021, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #6

Welcome from down the road in Derby
08-07-2021, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #7
Closed Account

Hi Gary, welcome from one of the Colonies.

08-09-2021, 02:21 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome from New Zealand Gary!
08-19-2021, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome from the USA, Gary. Glad to know you decided to give it another go. Photography can insidiously insinuate itself into your life, but that can be a good thing. Good luck with the macro work. Look forward to seeing some results of it.
08-21-2021, 01:51 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello Garry! Welcome to the forum!