Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2021, 10:54 AM   #1

Hello from the Netherlands

Dear fellow Pentax enthousiasts,

Since I am new to the forum (and probably would be scraping this source of knowledge more than just once), introducing myself felt like a cool first step!

First things first:
My name is Daniël, 28 years old, live in the Netherlands and I work in Online Marketing, specifically in the B2B market.

The part about why I am here:
Due to my age, I've unfortunately missed out on all the good from the 60s, 70s and 80s.
Growing up in the nineties, I quite often fiddled around with my moms point and shoot camera, I believe it was something like a Pentax zoom if I recall correctly.

Around age seven, I got introduced to videography by my grandfather who had dedicated his early retirement to becoming a professional videographer. It was only many years later, after him passing away, that I decided to step into his footsteps and bought my first real "professional" camera, a Sony a6300. This camera allowed me to capture great video footage and even better pictures for a relative affordable price.

I studied in Media and Design and graduated with a speciality in Photo- and Videography, so the passion for creating visual stuff has always been there.

Around 1,5 year ago, I came across a picture on the www that had a rather strange but appealing Bokeh, and so I've learned about the Russian Helios/Jupiter/Industar lenses that not all, but most offer the characteristic ''Swirley bokeh''. Being someone who loves both history and doing research, I grabbed a cup of caffeine and dove right into the ocean of available information about vintage lenses.

Many people on forums talked about thrift shopping and their amazing finds, and so I went. I just moved to a different part of the Netherlands, so this gave me a great reason to travel around a bit and explore some locations in my new habitat. I quickly found out that there is, in fact, a lot of junk out there but once in a while, you encounter a true gem.

Talking about junk, the first analog camera I bought (for 2EUR) was a Fujica ST605, it was completely locked up and greasy to the touch. Again, asking the www for information, I watched videos on how to perform a simple CLA, fixed the camera, and found myself sold to this hobby.

I quickly became addicted to this new found hobby and started hunting for more and more. Eventually, I ended up buying a bunch of (worthless) broken cameras so I could learn to fix and sell them for a small profit. One day, I came across a Pentax ES equiped with a SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4 on eBay. This is still my favorite lens to date that I never leave without when going out for a shoot. This lens made me crave more Pentax glass, and so I started collecting everything Pentax.

There is not that much Pentax there yet, but currently in my collection are:

Lenses:
SMC Takumar 50mm F1.4
SMC Takumar 55mm f1.8
Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 55mm f1.8
Super-Takumar 55 f1.8
Super-Takumar 55 f2.0
Takumar 135mm f3.5
Super-Takumar 135mm f3.5
Super-Takumar 35mm 3.5
All the above including original metal Lens Hoods, metal lens-caps and leather cases.

Bodies:
Spotmatic
ES
ES II
S1a
MV

There is probably more, but this is all I can recall from the top of my head right now.

Thank you for reading through this book of introduction, and thank you all for the amazing information available on this forum,
I am looking forward to learning so much more!

Daniël

08-19-2021, 12:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dandarious Quote
Dear fellow Pentax enthousiasts,

Since I am new to the forum (and probably would be scraping this source of knowledge more than just once), introducing myself felt like a cool first step!

First things first:
My name is Daniël, 28 years old, live in the Netherlands and I work in Online Marketing, specifically in the B2B market.

The part about why I am here:
Due to my age, I've unfortunately missed out on all the good from the 60s, 70s and 80s.
Growing up in the nineties, I quite often fiddled around with my moms point and shoot camera, I believe it was something like a Pentax zoom if I recall correctly.

Around age seven, I got introduced to videography by my grandfather who had dedicated his early retirement to becoming a professional videographer. It was only many years later, after him passing away, that I decided to step into his footsteps and bought my first real "professional" camera, a Sony a6300. This camera allowed me to capture great video footage and even better pictures for a relative affordable price.

I studied in Media and Design and graduated with a speciality in Photo- and Videography, so the passion for creating visual stuff has always been there.

Around 1,5 year ago, I came across a picture on the www that had a rather strange but appealing Bokeh, and so I've learned about the Russian Helios/Jupiter/Industar lenses that not all, but most offer the characteristic ''Swirley bokeh''. Being someone who loves both history and doing research, I grabbed a cup of caffeine and dove right into the ocean of available information about vintage lenses.

Many people on forums talked about thrift shopping and their amazing finds, and so I went. I just moved to a different part of the Netherlands, so this gave me a great reason to travel around a bit and explore some locations in my new habitat. I quickly found out that there is, in fact, a lot of junk out there but once in a while, you encounter a true gem.

Talking about junk, the first analog camera I bought (for 2EUR) was a Fujica ST605, it was completely locked up and greasy to the touch. Again, asking the www for information, I watched videos on how to perform a simple CLA, fixed the camera, and found myself sold to this hobby.

I quickly became addicted to this new found hobby and started hunting for more and more. Eventually, I ended up buying a bunch of (worthless) broken cameras so I could learn to fix and sell them for a small profit. One day, I came across a Pentax ES equiped with a SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4 on eBay. This is still my favorite lens to date that I never leave without when going out for a shoot. This lens made me crave more Pentax glass, and so I started collecting everything Pentax.

There is not that much Pentax there yet, but currently in my collection are:

Lenses:
SMC Takumar 50mm F1.4
SMC Takumar 55mm f1.8
Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 55mm f1.8
Super-Takumar 55 f1.8
Super-Takumar 55 f2.0
Takumar 135mm f3.5
Super-Takumar 135mm f3.5
Super-Takumar 35mm 3.5
All the above including original metal Lens Hoods, metal lens-caps and leather cases.

Bodies:
Spotmatic
ES
ES II
S1a
MV

There is probably more, but this is all I can recall from the top of my head right now.

Thank you for reading through this book of introduction, and thank you all for the amazing information available on this forum,
I am looking forward to learning so much more!

Daniël
Nice to see that someone less than half my age is so much into old Pentax cameras and Takumar lenses!
08-19-2021, 01:23 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Argos Quote
Nice to see that someone less than half my age is so much into old Pentax cameras and Takumar lenses!

Thank you! Pentax is just amazing

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
08-19-2021, 05:58 PM   #4
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Daniël, welcome from Australia.

08-19-2021, 07:05 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome from New Zealand Daniel!

aotearoa
08-20-2021, 02:06 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Daniël, welcome from Australia.

Hi! Thank you!

---------- Post added 08-20-21 at 09:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Welcome from New Zealand Daniel!

:aotearoa:

Thank you

08-21-2021, 01:49 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum , Daniël, enjoy your stay here! Greetings from Greece!

08-23-2021, 02:28 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland
08-23-2021, 06:02 AM   #9
Pentaxian

welcome Daniël ! impressive collection of glass you have there. Have your given the LX a try ?
08-23-2021, 06:16 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vijaykishan Quote
welcome Daniël ! impressive collection of glass you have there. Have your given the LX a try ?

Thanks unfortunately, haven’t been lucky enough to find a good (and affordable) LX yet.. looks like an amazing piece of equipment!

08-23-2021, 11:36 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome, Daniel! Enjoy the forum. Looking forward to your contributions here.