Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
08-19-2021, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #1

Takumar 135mm vs Super-Takumar 135mm

Hello!

Recently, I had the pleasure of acquiring two 135mm f3.5 Takumars in M42 mount.
One of them (Takumar) is significantly older than the other one (Super Takumar) but both are 135mm f3.5 lenses.

I can find a lot if information about the V2 Super-Takumar 135mm f3.5, but somehow there seems to be less information available about the Takumar one.

It is a preset aperture lens, sporting 8 aperture blades.

I am leaning towards selling one of them, and hope to keep the super-takumar one since it is in true mint condition.

What are the main differences between the two and which one offers the sharpest images?

- Daniël

Attached Images

08-19-2021, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

QuoteOriginally posted by Dandarious Quote
What are the main differences between the two and which one offers the sharpest images?
The two have different optical designs as detailed on the review pages for each (HERE and HERE) As for which offers the sharpest images, you are in the unique position of having both at hand for a comparison. A new thread in the lens area of the forums featuring your experience would likely prove helpful and popular.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-19-2021 at 03:03 PM.
08-19-2021, 03:02 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The two have different optical designs as detailed on the review pages for each (HERE and HERE) As for which offers the sharpest images, you are in the unique position of having both at hand for a comparison. What has been your impression?

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for pointing out those URLs, I did find the second one you mentioned, so the first URL is a nice source of extra information!

You are right, perhaps I will take out both lenses this weekend to try and see if there is a difference in quality and characteristics of both lenses. Would make for a good in-depth comparison.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
08-19-2021, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would shoot with both of them. You may decide to keep both! Sharpness is not the only thing that contributes to a unique photo. I have the very first version of the pre-set (chome and black with 46mm filter) and I love the images I get from it.

08-19-2021, 03:10 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 7.62lew Quote
I would shoot with both of them. You may decide to keep both! Sharpness is not the only thing that contributes to a unique photo. I have the very first version of the pre-set (chome and black with 46mm filter) and I love the images I get from it.

True that.., another good reason to take both out for a spin and write a side-by-side comparison.

Amazing! The early version auto Takumars are truly something else! Never ran into one yet..

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
08-20-2021, 02:21 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The older Takumar versions may have a more primitive coatings so it is much more important to use lens hood on them. So the Takumar version may be more sensitive for ghosting and flares than Super-Takumar.
But the older versions may instead produce a different character than newer lenses. Images with less contract and smoother background blur. (the lower contrast may make it look like they are not as sharp).
Preset lenses in general have more aperture blades so theyusually produce nicer bokeh balls stopped down. When auto-aperture was introduced it was necessary do decrease number of aperture blades to increase speed of the aperture mechanism.

It is also in general the lenses designed in 1950:s that has the best build quality.
Preset lenses can also be nice to use for video as the stop down aperture ring do not have clicks.

Last edited by Fogel70; 08-20-2021 at 02:27 AM.
08-20-2021, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would stick with both. I have the Super Takumar as well as an earlier version of the Takumar

08-20-2021, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

I don't think the difference in sharpness will be discernable. The coatings look similar too. Main differences are preset vs auto aperture and the Older Takumar has 8 aperture blades instead of 6. Theoretically better bokeh when stopped down. I have the First Takumar 135mm and two versions of the Super-takumar. Will have to compare them at some time. The pre-set is much less common btw, so If I had to pick I'd keep that one.
08-23-2021, 02:27 AM - 1 Like   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum enjoy all that it has to offer
08-23-2021, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums. I'd be interested in hearing your final decision on the 2 lenses.
08-29-2021, 11:20 PM - 1 Like   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dandarious Quote
Hello!

Recently, I had the pleasure of acquiring two 135mm f3.5 Takumars in M42 mount.
One of them (Takumar) is significantly older than the other one (Super Takumar) but both are 135mm f3.5 lenses.

I can find a lot if information about the V2 Super-Takumar 135mm f3.5, but somehow there seems to be less information available about the Takumar one.

It is a preset aperture lens, sporting 8 aperture blades.

I am leaning towards selling one of them, and hope to keep the super-takumar one since it is in true mint condition.

- Daniël
There is also a 135/2.5 six-element version that is super nice. You can get a lot of good reviews on youtube. Some of the older lenses produce very nice photos so do not sell any until you can have ample time to get to know these gems. Have fun and enjoy!!