Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-04-2021, 06:30 PM   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NDG Quote
Thanks for the advice and offer of assistance coondog, all very much appreciated. One question I have; is there any way to remove/polish out micro scratches on rear lens elements? Or maybe they're best left alone? Reason I ask is I have a Super Tak 135mm f3.5 which is crisp and sharp compared to an early preset Tak 135mm f3.5 I've used a couple of times. The preset is; a) far more difficult to nail focus with wide open and b) when I do nail the focus still loses a lot of the super fine detail the Super Tak manages to resolve. The preset has what looks like a few tiny micro scratches on the rear element and also a bit of dust on the inner surface of the rear element too. The Super Tak has the dust but it doesn't detract from good image quality If I hadn't gotten such amazing results with the Super Tak I'd probably be OK with the preset, but reading the reviews here I'm a little perplexed. I'd like to have a go at stripping and rebuilding the preset but would value your experience and opinion before diving in.
can't go into detail now, but do not do anything yet. I will get back to you soon. coondog

09-04-2021, 08:44 PM   #17
Forum Member

Thanks for the advice and offer of assistance coondog, all very much appreciated. One question I have; is there any way to remove/polish out micro scratches on rear lens elements? Or maybe they're best left alone? Reason I ask is I have a Super Tak 135mm f3.5 which is crisp and sharp compared to an early preset Tak 135mm f3.5 I've used a couple of times. The preset is; a) far more difficult to nail focus with wide open and b) when I do nail the focus still loses a lot of the super fine detail the Super Tak manages to resolve. The preset has what looks like a few tiny micro scratches on the rear element and also a bit of dust on the inner surface of the rear element too. The Super Tak has the dust but it doesn't detract from good image quality If I hadn't gotten such amazing results with the Super Tak I'd probably be OK with the preset, but reading the reviews here I'm a little perplexed. I'd like to have a go at stripping and rebuilding the preset but would value your experience and opinion before diving in.
Hello again, Is your preset 135/3.5 one of the silver & black ones or all black? Have you taken any lenses apart before? Let us make a plan before you take one apart. I need more info so I can give you some idea of what to do so you do not destroy a good lens. I do not know any way to polish a glass element of a lens. that's why I would like to find out what one you have. What I would do to fix a badly scratched element is to replace it with one from another lens. Someone else may know another way to do it. Coondog waiting for your replay LOL
09-05-2021, 11:36 PM   #18
NDG

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by coondog Quote
Hello again, Is your preset 135/3.5 one of the silver & black ones or all black? Have you taken any lenses apart before? Let us make a plan before you take one apart. I need more info so I can give you some idea of what to do so you do not destroy a good lens. I do not know any way to polish a glass element of a lens. that's why I would like to find out what one you have. What I would do to fix a badly scratched element is to replace it with one from another lens. Someone else may know another way to do it. Coondog waiting for your replay LOL
Hi Coondog, thanks for your response it's very much appreciated. My lens is the silver & black version. I bought some old knackered lenses a while ago and have been practicing the fine art of strip and rebuild whilst building my patience and finesse. I'm a skilled motor mechanic so I do have a clue, but lenses are a whole different level of ingenuity that really intrigues me. I've seen a similar lens as part of a job lot going cheap at auction on eBay - like yourself I thought a replacement 'donor' rear element would have more mileage than any attempt at scratch removal which would screw the finer dynamics of the glass / over
09-06-2021, 06:28 PM   #19
Forum Member

Hi Coondog, thanks for your response it's very much appreciated. My lens is the silver & black version. I bought some old knackered lenses a while ago and have been practicing the fine art of strip and rebuild whilst building my patience and finesse. I'm a skilled motor mechanic so I do have a clue, but lenses are a whole different level of ingenuity that really intrigues me. I've seen a similar lens as part of a job lot going cheap at auction on eBay - like yourself I thought a replacement 'donor' rear element would have more mileage than any attempt at scratch removal which would screw the finer dynamics of the glass / over
HAY, The silver & black are very nice. You have to get used to using manual lenses it takes a little while to get the focus down. It was the other way around for me, My first camera was a Spotmatic, Ya Ya I'm an old fart. So I had no problem with manual lenses. I have a Pentax 20D & Canon 6D. The silver & black 135/3.5 cost a bunch more now than a year ago If you can find one cheap get it for the rear glass, there are still lots of them that look like they have never been used, you just have to look all the time. I can't remember if I have one that would be good for the rear glass, I have 5 of them. I will look in a couple of days. If you want to get into rebuilding them let me know I can give you some good info. Old Coondog over and out !!!

09-07-2021, 12:01 PM   #20
NDG

Original Poster
HAY, The silver & black are very nice. You have to get used to using manual lenses it takes a little while to get the focus down. It was the other way around for me, My first camera was a Spotmatic, Ya Ya I'm an old fart. So I had no problem with manual lenses. I have a Pentax 20D & Canon 6D. The silver & black 135/3.5 cost a bunch more now than a year ago If you can find one cheap get it for the rear glass, there are still lots of them that look like they have never been used, you just have to look all the time. I can't remember if I have one that would be good for the rear glass, I have 5 of them. I will look in a couple of days. If you want to get into rebuilding them let me know I can give you some good info. Old Coondog over and out !!!
Nice one Coondog.....from another old fart I'll keep my fingers crossed for a win with a donor lens I have my eye on, will keep you posted as I'm really keen to strip and rebuild all my Takumars (can't really afford mint condition ones) and your experience probably trumps my enthusiasm. Will be in touch post auction.
09-07-2021, 04:55 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi & welcome!

Bin lurking for a few weeks whilst looking for info on some vintage Asahi Pentax lenses. This site is full of interesting and informative people so I'm very pleased to be a 'member'. I'm still on the take at the moment but promise to give back all I can
Hi NDG,

Nice to have you aboard! It's been a fun and supportive community.

I only dipped my toes into DSLR with a refurb. K100D, specifically because even this lowly entry level body supported Takumar and other manual lenses! I switched from Nikon (F, FE and F3HP) specifically because the Pentax supported the historic lenses and I could buy a lot of Takumar lenses (and others) for the price differential to a Nikon digital with full historic lens support!)

(OK, and it also gave me a reason to start collecting glass! )

I now have a K5 with my own cut to fit split image/micro-prism ring focus screen (cut from Nikon) and recently added a K3.

Enjoy your visits and I look forward to seeing some pics!

Cheers from Oregon!
Tom
09-07-2021, 07:34 PM   #22

Bin lurking for a few weeks whilst looking for info on some vintage Asahi Pentax lenses. This site is full of interesting and informative people so I'm very pleased to be a 'member'. I'm still on the take at the moment but promise to give back all I can
Welcome. I am a noob as well, and the same thing brought me here! I love my Takumar lenses (55 1.8/ 35 2.0/ 135 3.5)!

09-08-2021, 11:00 PM   #23
Forum Member

Nice one Coondog.....from another old fart I'll keep my fingers crossed for a win with a donor lens I have my eye on, will keep you posted as I'm really keen to strip and rebuild all my Takumars (can't really afford mint condition ones) and your experience probably trumps my enthusiasm. Will be in touch post auction.
NDG I wanted to see if you know that the Japanese lens use different screws than we do they look like Philips but our drivers will not seat well and can strip them. look for a set of Vessel brand # TD-56. They are good quilty and are cheap. Let me know if you have the other tools for working on a lens so I can help you get the right things you will need. Until the next exciting adventure of the lens crafters!!!
09-09-2021, 01:39 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome!!
09-25-2021, 01:04 PM   #25
NDG

Original Poster
Hi NDG Take it slow as you have time to learn about different glass you will see that there might be 4 or 5 of the same focal length but very different photos from each. Have you found the reviews on this forum? Also, youtube has a lot of very good videos tuns of info, you will get to know who is worth listening to or not. There are some people that do not have enough knowledge to be doing a review or telling you how to clean lenses etc. Ask some of us old farts for info. I would be glad to help if I can answer your question. Have a great day old coondog
Thanks for the heads up Coondog. Just ordered myself a set of JIS bits and drivers and am now eagerly awaiting my 'donor' 135mm silver preset to arrive
09-25-2021, 09:29 PM   #26
Forum Member

Thanks for the heads up Coondog. Just ordered myself a set of JIS bits and drivers and am now eagerly awaiting my 'donor' 135mm silver preset to arrive
Hello NDG, Good news finding one so fast. Do you know how to take one of those apart? I think I have one that will need cleaning.If you can let me know where to find that info. Let me know if you need some info taking it apart. Lots of info on basic teardown on youtube. Have fun with your new project.
09-28-2021, 10:08 AM   #27
NDG

Original Poster
Hello NDG, Good news finding one so fast. Do you know how to take one of those apart? I think I have one that will need cleaning.If you can let me know where to find that info. Let me know if you need some info taking it apart. Lots of info on basic teardown on youtube. Have fun with your new project.
Hello Coondog. I was lucky enough to spot one in a job lot but missed bidding - a week later and the very same lens was up for a 'buy it now' so I put in an offer, haggled a bit and agreed on £25 as a deal. So my donor silver 3.5/135 arrived today. Quick inspection of the glass revealed the optics are gin clear and in great shape although the bodywork is a bit daggy. Focus is smooth as silk and iris clean as a whistle. So......... I'm going to have a shoot with the donor as is and, if all goes well, just adopt it warts and all I'll hang on to my mint body copy and see what else comes my way - I've got a later SMC 3.5/135 with scratched front glass that cost me peanuts so when I get a chance I'll see if I can swap out the rear glass.
I still can't believe the excellent quality of these lenses and the fact I've never run across them before. My fave at the moment is a Super Tak 2/55 copy which just nails it almost every shot I take. Before my Takumar days I'd spend way too much time in post production but these days I just shoot and swoon - I've tried a few programmes but to be honest can't really make any meaningful improvements to what the lens is capturing, maybe the occasional crop is about all I need to do these days. It's a whole new world.
I've been scanning youtube for experience and knowledge and, as you say, there's a wealth of great Takumar info out there if you take the time to search it out. If I do ever strip a pre-set 3.5/135 I'll document the entire process and share it here.
09-28-2021, 09:10 PM   #28
Forum Member

Hello Coondog. I was lucky enough to spot one in a job lot but missed bidding - a week later and the very same lens was up for a 'buy it now' so I put in an offer, haggled a bit and agreed on £25 as a deal. So my donor silver 3.5/135 arrived today. Quick inspection of the glass revealed the optics are gin clear and in great shape although the bodywork is a bit daggy. Focus is smooth as silk and iris clean as a whistle. So......... I'm going to have a shoot with the donor as is and, if all goes well, just adopt it warts and all I'll hang on to my mint body copy and see what else comes my way - I've got a later SMC 3.5/135 with scratched front glass that cost me peanuts so when I get a chance I'll see if I can swap out the rear glass.
I still can't believe the excellent quality of these lenses and the fact I've never run across them before. My fave at the moment is a Super Tak 2/55 copy which just nails it almost every shot I take. Before my Takumar days I'd spend way too much time in post production but these days I just shoot and swoon - I've tried a few programmes but to be honest can't really make any meaningful improvements to what the lens is capturing, maybe the occasional crop is about all I need to do these days. It's a whole new world.
I've been scanning youtube for experience and knowledge and, as you say, there's a wealth of great Takumar info out there if you take the time to search it out. If I do ever strip a pre-set 3.5/135 I'll document the entire process and share it here.
Super sounds like a good plan to just use it as is, that way you will learn how that lens renders color, etc. I will suggest any lens you know that you would like to have start looking for a good one now as prices have been going up fast for the past year. However with the way the economy has been it may tank at any time who knows. Enjoy your new lens. Old Coondog