Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2021, 07:45 PM   #1

New Forum Member in SoCal

Hi All,

New forum member from SoCal here. Great site! I can't believe I didn't become aware of this site until recently and although I lurked for awhile, I just joined. I'm a dedicated amateur/hobbyist that has a long history with Pentax ever since my Dad first let me use his Asahi (bought in Japan) Pentax Spotmatic when I was just a young teen (which I still have). I made the jump to the bayonet mounts with (and also still have my) ME-Supers, first one then a second to have two lenses available at a moments notice, that I loved. When I went digital, I always was a little disappointed in APS-C thinking full frame would become more affordable and arrive more quickly than it has. So, I bided my time, and again with a K-m and then with a K-S1 with a modest set of lenses across them both. I make no claim to artistry (it's aspirational but my reach exceeds my grasp) but I enjoy the hobby and it provides me joy on the odd occasion when the odd snapshot achieves some level of artfulness.

I'm glad to join this great site. Let me combine my introduction with a question. I think I might be ready for another dive into the camera pool and I think I'd like to finally go beyond APS-C. However, the K1 was introduced in Feb. 2016. The K1-II in Feb. 2018, almost exactly 2 years later. By rights, the K1-III should have been introduced in Feb. 2020. Isn't the K1-II getting a little long in the tooth? I figured by now, I should be shopping either a discounted/discontinued K1-II against a K1-III. Anyone have any thoughts on the possible next gen full frame Pentax?

Anyway, thanks for the site and thanks for any insights. I'm happy to be here. I'm not much of a frequent poster as my real life job keeps me pretty busy. I'll lurk quite a bit, though and use all of the sites great references. I have no illusions about my photographic abilities but my aspirations keep my coming back. Thanks all.

-Rocky714

09-03-2021, 09:16 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Welcome from Australia, and good to have you aboard.
09-03-2021, 10:31 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum, fellow SoCal'er.

In regards to the jump to full frame, you'd have to be honest with yourself if the jump is really needed for your photography. I absolutely love the results that I get with my K-1 since I use it mainly for portrait photography. However, I use my K-3 and K-5 IIs for events/festivals and appreciate the photos that they continue to provide me and the smaller sized files they produce. Ultimately, the key to getting the most out of these cameras "artistically", in my opinion, is the lens attached to the camera.
09-04-2021, 02:59 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland

09-04-2021, 11:09 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rocky714 Quote
I figured by now, I should be shopping either a discounted/discontinued K1-II against a K1-III.
Welcome from Virginia!

If you are waiting for a new FF Pentax, you will probably be waiting a while. If you are looking to upgrade from the KS-1, I think you'll be impressed by the performance of the APS-C in a K-5, K-3, or the FF K-1.
Avoid Paralysis by Analysis, look here on PF for some high quality gently used K-1s and other cameras, purchase one with confidence, and start making images. I look forward to seeing your pictures.
09-04-2021, 11:11 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

regarding the choice between " full frame " sensor and ASP-C

what are your photographic goals ?

if you read the reviews for the K 1 and K 1 II you will find that full frame is good for some things, not as good for others
QuoteQuote:
With its superb imaging capabilities, weather resistance, built-in GPS, durability, and exceptional ergonomics, the K-1 II might be the best full-frame landscape camera available today.
Pentax K-1 Mark II vs K-1 Review - Conclusion | PentaxForums.com Reviews

but its " burst rate " - Continuous Shooting - isn't the best, so for wildlife or action shots it may not be the best choice

Pentax K-3 III vs. Pentax K-1 II vs. Pentax K-1 vs. Pentax K-3 II - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com
09-04-2021, 03:30 PM   #7

Original Poster
New Forum Member in SoCal

OK, I guess maybe I oversold my desire to go to full frame. Maybe it's better to say I'm conflicted (to be honest with myself). Do I need it? Probably not. Here's what attracts me to FF. I was slightly annoyed that it is a little more difficult to the equivalent wide angle shots because of the apparent focal length multiplicative factor. The extra resolution is always welcome not just for the sake of it but because you can crop more and still get a nice image (or portion thereof) suitable for printing at larger sizes. It's hard to disagree with anything that's been said here but I guess that's why I'm conflicted.

What are my goals? Mostly to have fun but to do more of everything. I've been a still photographer for so long, I forget that I have a video capability (but I do have a video camera too so that's a little more purpose built) but I may begin to do more of that. I do a concert cruise with a buddy of mine that's been on COVID hiatus for awhile so more brief videos would be nice. I'm looking at retiring in a two or three years and maybe taking a real photography course or two so it's hard to say what I want to do with it other than I probably won't be doing portrait photography. Sports photography? Yes, definitely. I love hockey (and regularly attend my local Ducks games) and while they don't allow real cameras in during games, they often have special events, charity games and others to which I'd like to take my camera. Quick focus is kind of important. Wildlife and scenery shots? Yes, I hope my wife and I will get to travel more and the camera will be with me. I always have two cameras with me so I can have two lenses at the ready with the K-S1 as the main and the K-m as backup. A FF and an APS-C one might be an ideal combo but two APS-Cs is not out of the question. I like the idea of night sky photography as well so I like the idea of the AstroTracer feature, though I probably wouldn't get to it for awhile. So yes, I'm conflicted.

With all that said, I think the K3-II pricing is ridiculous. I would just as soon get a K1-II because at that point, price has become no barrier. However, if it still is (since as mentioned, lenses might even be more important and I'd need to get a lens or two), I might just get a used K3 or K1 (depending on the FF decision) and bide my time yet again. If a K1-III were in the offing, I could wait awhile since retirement isn't imminent (robgski: what's the nature of "you'll be waiting a while" comment and how long are you thinking?) but I've been shopping for a few months now (sometimes, I am a victim of "Analysis Paralysis" but I'm in no rush - my K-S1 still takes nice pictures). I'd like to think about what the next 5 - 10 years will look like.

Thanks for your tolerance. As I said, I probably won't post often but when I do, I do tend to go on (sorry!).

-Rocky714