Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2021, 05:23 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

May I introduce myself, please?

Hello, everybody!

My photographer story may be long and short at the same time.
Long because I'm 63 and started shooting my first ones at 10 when I borrowed my father's Leitz film camera... well, without asking his permission before, to tell the truth. You know how these matters go.

But when the ancestor realized that one day and two years after, he was glad to let me continue my experience. When I was 18, it came the right time for me to buy my first SLR.
My choice was a Pentax ME II with a winder, because by istinct I didn't feel attracted by Nikons.

Time after time I started to learn how behave well with the new "girl". And so came the time to buy new lenses, one by one after making careful choices inspired by a famous (at that time) guide by Calder and Barrett, conceived for the Nikon camera system though. But I didn't care of that at all, this way becoming the proud owner, during the following three years, of two Sigma zoom (28-70 and 80-200), two Tamron (24 and 80), two DDR Leitz (20 and 300) lensens and a 2x multiplier macro teleconverter. I lacked to get a 35mm., but I didn't find to get one which could satisfy my tastes, and failed to purchase several years after an original Pentax K-mount 2,8 to buy a more modest 3,5 after. Oh, come on, well done the same.
This way I could become a free-time B&W (preferably) addicted to architectural, landscape and design photographing.

Only the last years I became curious to... being digital (quoting explicitly that famous book. ).
So I had the chance to discover the K-70, the perfect choice for me, who love spending so much time outdoors. To the first lens (18-55, amazing choice) I matched, if I daresay, a 35, a 90 and a 105 - those last ones mainly for close-ups, but not in an exclusive way, you know.
But never forgetting to use in the newer my previous K-mount lenses, matched with and adapter.

Short, because I started my adventure learning the wicked art of making the right choices without a range finder or an exposure meter and evaluating at the same time the complex relations of depth of field.
So, autofocus gets me really bored mor than sometimes.
And I still prefer films to SD cards... I am a proud analogue aficionado, you know, just the same in music - I am deep in love with vynils, pre phonos and turntables, stuff the like.

And I am stll using my ME also currently, of course.

How you can replicate in digital the charm of a very light grains 25 ASA film, after all?

If anyone here, far more expert than I am (easy deal, with me), please enlighten me. I will be delighted and grateful, you can be sure of it.

In conclusion. Glad for becoming part of this Community. But also proud for being analogue and a Pentax owner.

With best regards to all.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
10-09-2021, 06:11 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Welcome from Australia.
10-09-2021, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you from Italy, mate.
10-09-2021, 06:39 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good to have an old school photographer join us, someone who lived in a pre digital world. There are many like minded folks here, who enjoy the manual side of things for the tangible rewards that flow from it. Welcome.

10-09-2021, 07:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Always may God bless Aussies for being straight, frankly and honest - no offense to anyone other.

Thanks a lot for that, dear mate.

With best regards.
10-10-2021, 07:23 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland
10-10-2021, 09:01 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome aboard. I have 7 years on you. My first SLR was a Mamiya/Sekor 500DTL. Followed a few years later by a Pentax Spotrmatic II. I actually feel sorry for those newer photographers who have never experienced the magic seeing their images come to life in the developer tray of a darkroom.

10-10-2021, 10:10 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum. I like the “keeping film alive” spirit. Keep it going! Greetings from Greece!
11-02-2021, 08:05 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jackal Quote
[
So I had the chance to discover the K-70, the perfect choice for me, who love spending so much time outdoors. To the first lens (18-55, amazing choice) I matched, if I daresay, a 35, a 90 and a 105 - those last ones mainly for close-ups, but not in an exclusive way, you know.
:
:
So, autofocus gets me really bored mor than sometimes.
Welcome Jackal,

I also have a K-70 and like it for outdoor work. I'm sure you've seen the MF/AF switch on the side, so you can go manual focus any time you like. It is a nice feature, particularly for picking out wildlife or a particular feature of a landscape.

Surprisingly, that feature was incorrectly described in the otherwise detailed and entertaining K-70 user guide available on this site. (PDF available for minimal purchase/donation).
11-02-2021, 05:23 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome from New Zealand!
11-04-2021, 02:40 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Welcome aboard. I have 7 years on you. My first SLR was a Mamiya/Sekor 500DTL. Followed a few years later by a Pentax Spotrmatic II. I actually feel sorry for those newer photographers who have never experienced the magic seeing their images come to life in the developer tray of a darkroom.
well said and huge welcome from Germany ! looking forward to see your scanned pictures on this forum