Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2021, 08:21 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Unregistered User

Autumn and Moon greetings from new member

Dear PENTAXIANS !
_As a new member - BOREALIS - (attachment 1) I would like to send a moon greeting (attachment 2, taken last Saturday with Venus and Dschubba in the constellation Scorpio) to whoever may read these lines wherever on our planet.

_This being my very first membership in an internet forum - and English not being my mother language - at the beginning the technical part of this communication form seems very complicated to me: I had written this e-mail before, but suddenly all of it was gone... At least it seems I succeeded to upload three photos, attachment 3 showing a part of Stauferland in Southern Germany, where I live. Unfortunately this forum extremely reduces the quality of my photos, and I can't find a method to avoid this... Can anyone help me with this? --- I have no idea who will read these lines and look at the reduced photographs.

_I have been working with PENTAX cameras and lenses ever since 1977 and would appreciate to get to know photographers of the night sky, of sunset, of the moon and planets, of the year's seasons... et cetera.
_Now hopefully I succeed in sending this message...

KIND REGARDS

BOREALIS

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
10-13-2021, 09:06 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forums Borealis!
10-13-2021, 12:22 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland.
10-13-2021, 05:58 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Borealis Quote
Dear PENTAXIANS !
_As a new member - BOREALIS - (attachment 1) I would like to send a moon greeting (attachment 2, taken last Saturday with Venus and Dschubba in the constellation Scorpio) to whoever may read these lines wherever on our planet.

_This being my very first membership in an internet forum - and English not being my mother language - at the beginning the technical part of this communication form seems very complicated to me: I had written this e-mail before, but suddenly all of it was gone... At least it seems I succeeded to upload three photos, attachment 3 showing a part of Stauferland in Southern Germany, where I live. Unfortunately this forum extremely reduces the quality of my photos, and I can't find a method to avoid this... Can anyone help me with this? --- I have no idea who will read these lines and look at the reduced photographs.

_I have been working with PENTAX cameras and lenses ever since 1977 and would appreciate to get to know photographers of the night sky, of sunset, of the moon and planets, of the year's seasons... et cetera.
_Now hopefully I succeed in sending this message...

KIND REGARDS

BOREALIS

Welcome from Down Under (Brisbane Australia). Your English seemed pretty good to me! Yes, the forum (for space reasons) only allows images of limited sizes. What some of us do is also use forums like Flickr or sharing of cloud storage such as OneDrive, and provide links to original sized images on those locations.

But again, welcome.

10-13-2021, 11:41 PM   #5
Closed Account

Another welcome from Australia.
10-15-2021, 09:33 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome from the SE coast of the US.
10-18-2021, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #7
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland.
Dear Kerrowdown,
I thank you for welcoming me with the attached composition of Moon, Jupiter & Saturn in Capricornus.

- original size 7360 x 4912 (5,25 MB) - the stars are only visible, if at all - in dark surrounding.

Take care
BOREALIS

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
10-18-2021, 01:46 PM   #8
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Welcome from Down Under (Brisbane Australia). Your English seemed pretty good to me! Yes, the forum (for space reasons) only allows images of limited sizes. What some of us do is also use forums like Flickr or sharing of cloud storage such as OneDrive, and provide links to original sized images on those locations.

But again, welcome.
Dear K2 to K50,
I would like thank you for welcoming me with the attached composition; photograph taken last Thursday...

Take care
BOREALIS
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
10-19-2021, 12:36 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums from Maine in the US.

Love the pics! We were in southern Germany 8 years ago, to visit the new grandson. Parents were stationed at Ramstein and they lived in Höheinöd. Beautiful country!
10-20-2021, 03:37 AM - 1 Like   #10
Unregistered User

Dear Sgrim,
thank you for your welcome. Although we live in the Southwest of Germany, the Northeast - Ostsee »Baltic Sea« / Mecklenburg-Vorpommern - is our favourite region (see attached photograph), where we would have moved this autumn if the plandemic dictators had not prevented it.
Take care
BOREALIS
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
10-20-2021, 06:53 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Welcome to the Pentax forums.
Hope to see more of your photos ... I also enjoy photographing the night sky, but I have little experience with that. Perhaps later you will share your experience.
I once studied German... now I only remember certain words and expressions like guten Tag (good day)

Last edited by Martin Stu; 10-20-2021 at 07:07 AM.
10-22-2021, 08:40 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Unregistered User

Mercury & Venus as morning stars

Good evening Martin Stu...
Thank you for welcoming. Are you a native Russian? Or do you just happen to live in Russia... like Edward Snowden? Several generations of my father's family had lived in Western Russia (nowadays: »Ukraine«) in the Shitomir region. The only Russian word I remember is »chleb«. I wonder what you mean with »perhaps later you will share your experience«. I'm prepared to deal with questions you might be occupied with. After 30 years work with film, including a black & white laboratory of my own, for nine years I refused to change from real images (Agfachrome, Kodachrome, Ektachrome) to digital data (01-01-01...) only. But then the RICOH & PENTAX engineers decided to construct the K-1 machine... Meanwhile I found ways to come closer to the quality of slide (transparency) photography - see attachment: Mercury and Venus as morning stars before sunrise.

Take care
BOREALIS
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
10-22-2021, 06:14 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Good evening Martin Stu...
Thank you for welcoming. Are you a native Russian? Or do you just happen to live in Russia...
yes, Pentax lovers from all over the world have gathered here... yes, I am a native Russian, I am not "Edward Snowden"... I can say that I accidentally bought a Pentax camera ... and I can say that I accidentally became a member of the Pentax forums... but I really liked the camera and the Pentax forums... that's how I ended up here...
about your experience ... I was referring to your experience of night landscape photography, photographing the night sky, how best to do it ... when to start shooting, how to prepare, etc...
Until 1991, 2 million Germans lived in Russia (in the USSR)... when I was in school, there were two Germans in my class, a boy and a girl, they studied very well ... the girl was an excellent student in all subjects, and the boy was an excellent student, primarily in exact sciences, such as mathematics, trigonometry, physics, chemistry... this boy was one of my best friends...

by the way, my mother worked as a teacher of German (also English, but the main specialization is German.... at one time she graduated from the Institute of Foreign Languages.), she spoke German fluently, she also translated when meeting with German delegations from the GDR ... once in my childhood I corresponded with a 12-year-old German girl named Anna (honestly speaking, I wrote under my mother's dictation, she corrected the text as it should) ... but, unfortunately, I never learned German, maybe the grammar is complicated, as far as I remember plusquamperfekt, etc.

Last edited by Martin Stu; 10-22-2021 at 07:39 PM.
10-24-2021, 04:43 AM - 3 Likes   #14
Unregistered User

Night landscape photography

QuoteOriginally posted by Martin Stu Quote
about your experience ... I was referring to your experience of night landscape photography, photographing the night sky, how best to do it ... when to start shooting, how to prepare, etc...
Good afternoon Martin.
Concerning »night landscape photography«, I suggest first to choose the theme you want to work at. Every theme has its own requirements. Here is a selection: (1) the rising or setting Sun to begin with; (2) the Moon (crescent, 1/4, 1/2, 2/3, 3/4); (3) night sky with landscape below; (4) one of the 12 ecliptic star constellations; (5) morning or evening star scenes (I sent you an example you did not comment); (6) Moon and planet combinations etc. So, before I can answer your question »how best to do it«,

_you need to choose ONE of these to start with and to practise;
_your work depends on which kind of lenses - focal length & brightness - you possess.
_Most important: You need a good tripod, the more stable the better; it doesn't have to be new, but it MUST be stable - see attachment 1.
As you know I work with the PENTAX K-1. This machine offers several lens mistake corrections - see attachments 2 & 3.

I suggest you check if your APS-C PENTAX K-70 also offers these corrections. However, lens correction works with PENTAX lenses only;

I use these two: HD PENTAX D FA 28-70 mm f/2.8 ED SDM WR and HD PENTAX D FA f/4.5-5.6 150-450mm ED DC AW.

As an example of how I started, I attach a photograph I took in late autumn (German: Spätherbst) about 20 years ago (camera: LEICA M6).
Take care

BOREALIS
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo   
10-24-2021, 08:46 AM   #15
Pentaxian

thanks Borealis

(3) night sky with landscape below;
in general, everything is interesting, but at the moment points (1) and (3) are more interesting to me and maybe it will be easier for me to master them ... the rest will be more difficult for me, since it is possible that points (2) and (4) and etc will require a long-focus lens (I don't have it yet)
I have a rather stable tripod, I also have a remote cable ... with lenses it is more difficult ... a wide-angle lens is probably desirable? ... one such is available, but it may not be quite suitable, SMC Pentax DA 17-70 mm f/ 4... and also such lenses are available: SMC Pentax‑DA 50mm F1.8 and HD Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Limited and manual lenses 35mm f2,8; 50mm f2.8 and 50mm f2.0... as well as Tamron 18-200... that's all

Last edited by Martin Stu; 10-24-2021 at 09:52 AM.