Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
10-26-2021, 09:55 AM   #1

Introduction and Question

Hi. I've been a Pentax user since the mid-70's and my first KX. I've had four Pentax film cameras, the last being the final top line before digital. I then bought a K10D. All of my cameras were destsroyed in my storage locker during Hurricane Ida. Flood on first floor of the building. I have purchased used a K3. It seems to be all I would want but I'm kind of eyeing a K3iii because the K3 is already seven years old. Should I? Should I buy a new one or be happy with the K3? I have purchased two lenses also - a 55mm F1.4 and a 50-200mm F4-5.6. Any thoughts? I'm an old fart (70) so this camera and my present motorcycle will be my last.

10-26-2021, 10:14 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by donaldslevine Quote
Any thoughts? I'm an old fart (70) so this camera and my present motorcycle will be my last.
Welcome to the forum. As a fellow old fart I understand your dilemma.
I generally ask myself 2 3 questions:
1. Will spending the money adversely affect me or my family? That is, can I truly afford it?
2. Do I want it badly enough to spend the money even if spending the money won't adversely impact me or anyone else? e.g. spending $20.00 on a gumball wouldn't be a hardship, but I still wouldn't do it.
3. How mad can she get?
10-26-2021, 10:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you have the funds, do it. I have an original k3 and it is superb. I also have a KP which is better in the areas in which you would see an improvement (image quality, AF, viewfinder) but the k3iii is by all accounts better still with the best viewfinder ever. Do it and enjoy it
10-26-2021, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum!

The K3iii would be a dramatic upgrade, especially the autofocus, low light capability, viewfinder, and speed (drive mode, writing to card, general interface quickness). OK, maybe it's 'especially everything.'
Still, it is a lot of money to just talk yourself into, if you are already happy with your K3.

A bigger bang-per-buck upgrade, I would say, would be replacing your zoom lens with a higher end model. 55-300PLM seems like it would be a top contender.

What do you like to shoot?

10-26-2021, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As Wadge22 says, what do you like to shoot? My favorite is, get the tool for the job. Your K3 might do what you need. If you want to shoot action the K3 III seems the go-to. If landscapes I can recommend the KP or I believe the K1 (either model). The k 70 does a great job and would leave you Lens Money! I am an older fart than you and we are not wealthy but I got a KP to back up the K 70 or the other way around. Actually wide lens on one, long lens on the other. What do you want as a final product? Get the machine that will do it.
10-26-2021, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge

and a lot of opinions on how you should spend your money

one of the helpful tools here is the side by side comparison tool

K 3 III vs. K 3 vs. KP vs. K 1 II

Pentax K-3 III vs. Pentax K-3 vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-1 II - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

remember that the K 1 II has the full size sensor as opposed to the ASP-C size sensor of the others

I have found that the full size sensor is helpful in some situations and the ASP-C size sensor in others

check out the in depth reviews
10-26-2021, 12:19 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My 2 cents worth:

IF you are shooting action/sports/etc in autofocus the k3iii (with the right lenses) will outperform the K3.

IF you are using manual aperture lenses frequently the K3iii offers a speedier option for metering and shooting in various modes.

IF you are shooting landscapes and don’t need improved af and don’t need low light high iso capabilities the k3iii only offers a slight benefit. The K70 and KP also will shine here.

IF you have trouble bending / kneeling and like the idea of a tilting screen the K70 and KP offer this with high iso upgrades as well.

I don’t care for the 50-200 myself. I used it and it isn’t unusable but the 55-300 (all versions) is better. The PLM RE version is retractable and offers very fast focusing. It works with all bodies k3 and newer.

10-26-2021, 08:00 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Evening, and Welcome to the Forum!!

I just turned 71, so we are both getting to be as old as dirt. I had (well still have a K5IIs) that I love - just drop-dead easy to pick up and go shoot with. Literally, everything I really needed and wanted, well except - I like to shoot at night, the Milky Way over large things, mountains, valleys, etc. My one single problem was getting star color in the milky way core. The way to do that was with more dynamic range from a full-frame sensor - the K1.

I thought long and hard after retiring on this - larger, heavier, more $$$ and also needed a new len$. Since I was driving 1 to 3 hours to get to where ever to shoot for several hours, it was worth it to be able to capture the images. 5 years ago, I upgraded, and yes, I'm getting the star color in the MW core now. Where I go is so dark that the starlight casts my shadow on the ground - so I'm pushing the camera and lens to their limits. On the other hand, the K1 is such a beast that other than MW shooting, it's a lot of overkill - well at least for me. 4 to 5 minute exposures just to be able to capture some good definition and details in the foreground landscapes. Also, the K1 is probably my last camera body - it's that good. The articulating screen is now an ABSOLUTE must if I were to get another camera body.

The bottom line is that, there is no perfect answer to your predicament.

The K3 is extraordinary that good too. It's so good, that it has a thread here on the forum with 4million views and about 100K individual posts to it (you will come across it). I think that the bottom line is - after Parallax's questions, is there any image that it can't capture for you? Is there a limitation with the K3 to prevent you from being able to capture a particular image?

10-27-2021, 01:32 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Lots of good replies already... so I'll just say welcome aboard.
10-27-2021, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
Thank You

Thanks for all the replys. I will probably get a K3iii and keep the K3 as a second body. I can afford it so why not? I will investigate the 55-300 lens however. Again, thanks.
10-27-2021, 08:32 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by donaldslevine Quote
Thanks for all the replys. I will probably get a K3iii and keep the K3 as a second body. I can afford it so why not? I will investigate the 55-300 lens however. Again, thanks.
Great idea
10-28-2021, 05:21 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Welcome aboard Pentaxforums! You'll like it here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
3. How mad can she get?
That should be at the top of the list.
10-28-2021, 01:20 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Evening, and Welcome to the Forum!!

Where I go is so dark that the starlight casts my shadow on the ground -
That's a beautiful image, right there.

Oh, and welcome to the forum OP!
11-01-2021, 04:20 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum from another "Old Fart/Curmudgeon" who is still shooting with Pentax.
11-02-2021, 05:22 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
3. How mad can she get?