Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2021, 02:31 PM - 2 Likes   #1

New here but perhaps only temporarily

Hello from Canada

I’m George, geo for short.

I’m here to find a place to post my wife’s Pentax equipment for sale. After it’s sold then I’ll likely have less reason to remain, I’m an Olympus man here and my wife has now gotten into the same stuff.

Nice to meet you all nevertheless!

geo

11-03-2021, 02:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Nice to meet you, and good luck with your sales. Hopefully you'll find a few other Canucks around to help out
11-03-2021, 03:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum Geo.
Have a look at the Marketplace: The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses - PentaxForums.com
Check out the rules for marketplace use here: READ FIRST: How to list items - marketplace rules - condition key - feedback guide - PentaxForums.com

Kind regards,
Mark
11-04-2021, 12:07 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, photography is all about the image not the brand… so stick around after your sale, there may well be things of interest for you here.

11-04-2021, 06:06 PM   #5

Original Poster
The Pentax has a new home so I won’t be selling anything here. As well I ended up scoring a deal on a working complete pentacon six TL which I’ve never seen before, I even got 5 rolls of ASA400 colour film for it!

I’m certainly leaning towards using this for night sky time exposure photography. The optics look more than enough to let in a lot of light.
11-04-2021, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoGusli Quote
The Pentax has a new home so I won’t be selling anything here. As well I ended up scoring a deal on a working complete pentacon six TL which I’ve never seen before, I even got 5 rolls of ASA400 colour film for it!

I’m certainly leaning towards using this for night sky time exposure photography. The optics look more than enough to let in a lot of light.
I guess you hadn't heard of Astro-tracer and the Rokinon 14 2.8. Some people buy Pentax for astro. I guess others sell Pentax's to get it. It's a strange world.
11-04-2021, 08:21 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I guess you hadn't heard of Astro-tracer and the Rokinon 14 2.8. Some people buy Pentax for astro. I guess others sell Pentax's to get it. It's a strange world.
I have a star tracker.

I only learned of the Pentacon today because of trying to sell some gear and this particular camera store in Burlington, Ontario has the coolest stock of old cameras I've ever seen, I couldn't walk away from such an interesting looking camera.

They had a gorgeous film Hasselblad too, looked like an older 500 series - but it was much more than I could justify putting on the credit card.

I never heard of a Rokinon, sorry.

My wife couldn't use her Pentax, it was too heavy for her, she has a withered right arm.

I'm a long time Olympus user, going back 30 years now. I have no desire to jump ship especially since I already have spent $$$$ on lenses.

My wife, not an avid photographer at all, decided to jump on the Olympus bandwagon because of the size and weight of the camera. She was highly motivated and impressed by my photos of the Milky Way and night stars I took when we went up north this past summer to an isolated lodge. She saw it unfold and she couldn't believe it was possible to take such photos when her eyes couldn't see what the camera saw on time exposure.

So despite the Pentax being a properly capable machine she wanted something similar to my camera in order to pursue the interest and be able to lift and hold the camera for day photography - despite her bad arm.

Her arm became bad a dozen years ago, along with so much of her health and neurological condition, from a particularly wicked car crash, it gave her life changing injuries. I'm her husband and these days her fulltime caregiver these last 12 years. I'm using photography and astronomy as a form of occupational neurlogical therapy to help her in her mental and physical coordiation as well as to help her practice her reading, organizing and planning mental skills.

If the K5 was a lighter camera then we would have kept it for her. It was a fully competent performer with no complaints but the weight. Oh well.

11-05-2021, 05:22 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoGusli Quote
I have a star tracker.

I only learned of the Pentacon today because of trying to sell some gear and this particular camera store in Burlington, Ontario has the coolest stock of old cameras I've ever seen, I couldn't walk away from such an interesting looking camera.

They had a gorgeous film Hasselblad too, looked like an older 500 series - but it was much more than I could justify putting on the credit card.

I never heard of a Rokinon, sorry.

My wife couldn't use her Pentax, it was too heavy for her, she has a withered right arm.

I'm a long time Olympus user, going back 30 years now. I have no desire to jump ship especially since I already have spent $$$$ on lenses.

My wife, not an avid photographer at all, decided to jump on the Olympus bandwagon because of the size and weight of the camera. She was highly motivated and impressed by my photos of the Milky Way and night stars I took when we went up north this past summer to an isolated lodge. She saw it unfold and she couldn't believe it was possible to take such photos when her eyes couldn't see what the camera saw on time exposure.

So despite the Pentax being a properly capable machine she wanted something similar to my camera in order to pursue the interest and be able to lift and hold the camera for day photography - despite her bad arm.

Her arm became bad a dozen years ago, along with so much of her health and neurological condition, from a particularly wicked car crash, it gave her life changing injuries. I'm her husband and these days her fulltime caregiver these last 12 years. I'm using photography and astronomy as a form of occupational neurlogical therapy to help her in her mental and physical coordiation as well as to help her practice her reading, organizing and planning mental skills.

If the K5 was a lighter camera then we would have kept it for her. It was a fully competent performer with no complaints but the weight. Oh well.
No need to explain, you have a star tracker is enough. We've had many users go to 4/3 gear because of the weight. Your wife isn't unusual. But the simple fact is, another experienced user in the family is a great asset. One that is often more important than which brand is used.

The lightweight smaller size Pentax would have been a K-70 or K-P. A lightweight Pentax kit would have been comparable in size and weight. Maybe a bit bigger, maybe bit heavier. But taken on it's own, I'd be surprised if that factor was fairly represented.

On one of the astro sites, the Rokinon 14 2.8 was rated the best lens for astro-photgraphy by several sites that concentrate on astro and several other internet sites.

Whithered right arm? Sounds like time for a bridge camera.

I'm just adding some additional information. I went through rotator cuff surgery last year, the first camera I used after surgery was my Lumix ZS100, 1 inch sensor. The ZS1000 would be an excellent choice. bigger and a faster lens than the ZS100. I hope your wife will not miss the optical viewfinder. Many of us find them discombobulating.

In any case, good luck with your endeavours, happy wife, happy life.

Last edited by normhead; 11-05-2021 at 06:06 AM.
11-05-2021, 07:04 PM   #9

Original Poster
I ended up giving the Pentacon to my father in law. He’s 85, German born, retired from farming and has loved photography as a hobby so I thought it would make a piece of interest. He’s never seen one of these before so it came as a surprise to him!
12-14-2021, 10:57 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Best wishes on your sales here and wish you and your wife the best
12-14-2021, 11:32 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You are welcome here for as long as you wish.
12-15-2021, 03:53 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome Geo! Quite a few M4/3 shooters here too (Including me...Olympus E-M1ii, E-PL3, Panasonic GX9, GM1, GH1). Hang around and share some knowledge if you have the time! Hope your wife likes the Oly gear!
12-15-2021, 04:35 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Geo, welcome to this forum. As others have indicated the brand of camera is less important than the discussion of photography. This s a very friendly and helpful place with many knowledgeable folk. The membership spans the globe and they are willing to give advice and information, not to mention accepting the same from others. Hope you'll stick around and share your expertise and work.
12-15-2021, 08:08 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome! This is a good place to sell / buy gear or just discuss photography stuff.
12-15-2021, 11:31 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm an OMD EM5II user myself!