Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2021, 10:46 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Duluth Quote
Yep -- living in Duluth, MN -- absolutely love the area! Thanks :>)
Very scenic area, to be sure. The wind can get cold though.
I remember one day there were big waves on the lake shore, I knew a path to the shore, maybe by 25th avenue (before I-35 was extended north), so I spent an hour or so braving the wind and the spray in freezing conditions, taking pictures of the waves crashing against the rocks.
Then I went to change film and found it wasn't loaded properly, and never advanced. None of the pictures were exposed!

Last edited by bogwalker; 11-13-2021 at 10:57 PM.
11-24-2021, 12:22 PM   #17

Welcome to the forum from Texas!
11-25-2021, 03:30 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Duluth Quote
Hi all I am a longtime Pentax shooter but new to the forum :>). Anyone care to comment on image quality of the KP compared to the K70? I would love to get the new K3III but a) a little too pricey for me, and b) I would love to have some sort of flip screen. I would go with the KP but not sure about buying used (I don't think you can get new anywhere?); and you can buy the K70 new.
Thanks for any input on this and...go Pentax!!!
I have had the K-70 for 3 years now and there's no doubt that it's a very capable camera. I use it for professional real estate photography and have not had any complaints with my work. However, I have recently experienced problems with potential aperture failure after around 20,000 shots. The problem is not consistent and only have it on the first shot after the camera has been turned off for a while. Thereafter, the exposures are correct. Had I known about this possible fault which has manifested itself on various previous models, I might have chosen the KP instead given that it has a different and more efficient shutter mechanism.
11-28-2021, 07:35 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We bought my wife a K-70. So far we like it a lot. We got it without knowing about the possible problem with aperture block. Now had this been a $1500+ body I would have probably returned it and got something different. But for what you pay for them I am sure we will get plenty of use out of it. Besides, we have all our equipment insured so if it fails out of warranty we are covered.

11-28-2021, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FWIW, the PF members who sell here are almost always selling used equipment in very good condition. In the rare cases something has a defect, that is usually stated up front in the listing. I've purchased about 80% of all my gear here on PF, including a K-1 and a KP, with no issues.
11-28-2021, 09:47 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I can only say that I am lucky to have gotten a KP on closeout before they were gone new. However the camera is pretty premium and a nice quality used one is going to be a good choice. The tilting screen is my favorite type - I don't really like the full articulation screens like the K-70 has (I have one on a GX8 Panasonic). My favorite bodies across many systems (Sony A7rIII, Sony RX100 IV, Pentax KP, Panasonic GX7, Olympus EM-1) all have tilt screens and I really like that for the few times I need it.

Image quality? The only negative about the K-70 that I know of is that it has PDAF sensors on the sensor which in some circumstances could lead to banding but I haven't seen a lot of discussion of that or people upset about it. The Accelerator seems tuned slightly differently or the sensor base performance is different or there are other differences as some people with both have show slightly superior high iso results (at the same iso) from the KP over the K-70. Generic detail and sharpness should be virtually identical.

Build quality? The K-70 uses the type of aperture control system that can break down a lot more readily than the KP. The shutter is not rated as durably. The grip is solid and more like previous cameras than the KP which can feel better to some people.

Battery life - the KP can really suck the battery quickly if using LiveView in particular. The Optional battery grip could be a differentiation depending on your use. I find carrying an extra battery is enough to make things work out without problems for my shooting which is quite casual.
I completely agree. I have both and really the only thing I like a little better about the K70 is the grip. However, the KP with the battery grip feels excellent. Both are great cameras, and while I might like to have the fully articulating screen on very rare occasions, the vertical flip screen of the KP is way stronger and less prone to damage- and also much more quickly deployed.
11-28-2021, 10:52 AM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
I completely agree. I have both and really the only thing I like a little better about the K70 is the grip. However, the KP with the battery grip feels excellent. Both are great cameras, and while I might like to have the fully articulating screen on very rare occasions, the vertical flip screen of the KP is way stronger and less prone to damage- and also much more quickly deployed.
I own a Panasonic gx7 a GX8 an Olympus 粗m-1, a Pentax KP, and a Sony a7r3 and previously an A7R2. I greatly prefer the flip only screens to both fixed (my k3 and GX1 for example) and articulating (GX8 and early compact digitals).

I can稚 articulate my reasons fully but that preference is real.

11-29-2021, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
FWIW, the PF members who sell here are almost always selling used equipment in very good condition. In the rare cases something has a defect, that is usually stated up front in the listing. I've purchased about 80% of all my gear here on PF, including a K-1 and a KP, with no issues.
Hey thanks much!

---------- Post added 11-29-21 at 09:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bogwalker Quote
Very scenic area, to be sure. The wind can get cold though.
I remember one day there were big waves on the lake shore, I knew a path to the shore, maybe by 25th avenue (before I-35 was extended north), so I spent an hour or so braving the wind and the spray in freezing conditions, taking pictures of the waves crashing against the rocks.
Then I went to change film and found it wasn't loaded properly, and never advanced. None of the pictures were exposed!
Yikes! Yep Lake Superior can get nasty...they just constructed a massive new lakewalk as recent storms kept destroying the old one and flooding part of Canal Park

---------- Post added 11-29-21 at 09:33 AM ----------

I can only say that I am lucky to have gotten a KP on closeout before they were gone new. However the camera is pretty premium and a nice quality used one is going to be a good choice. The tilting screen is my favorite type - I don't really like the full articulation screens like the K-70 has (I have one on a GX8 Panasonic). My favorite bodies across many systems (Sony A7rIII, Sony RX100 IV, Pentax KP, Panasonic GX7, Olympus EM-1) all have tilt screens and I really like that for the few times I need it.

Image quality? The only negative about the K-70 that I know of is that it has PDAF sensors on the sensor which in some circumstances could lead to banding but I haven't seen a lot of discussion of that or people upset about it. The Accelerator seems tuned slightly differently or the sensor base performance is different or there are other differences as some people with both have show slightly superior high iso results (at the same iso) from the KP over the K-70. Generic detail and sharpness should be virtually identical.

Build quality? The K-70 uses the type of aperture control system that can break down a lot more readily than the KP. The shutter is not rated as durably. The grip is solid and more like previous cameras than the KP which can feel better to some people.

Battery life - the KP can really suck the battery quickly if using LiveView in particular. The Optional battery grip could be a differentiation depending on your use. I find carrying an extra battery is enough to make things work out without problems for my shooting which is quite casual.
Hey Thanks!

---------- Post added 11-29-21 at 09:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
One thing that usually let me down a little bit on entry level cameras is the shutter sound.
The sound from KPs shutter and other top of the line is more silent.
PENTAX KP VS PENTAX K-70 - YouTube

And if you like the DA limited lenses there is no better camera for them than KP.
IMO the user interface on KP is also better than on K70.
Thanks! Its appreciated!

---------- Post added 11-29-21 at 09:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
One thing that usually let me down a little bit on entry level cameras is the shutter sound.
The sound from KPs shutter and other top of the line is more silent.
PENTAX KP VS PENTAX K-70 - YouTube

And if you like the DA limited lenses there is no better camera for them than KP.
IMO the user interface on KP is also better than on K70.
Thanks! Its appreciated!

---------- Post added 11-29-21 at 09:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by uhfiwdsf Quote
Welcome to the forum from Texas!
Thanks!
12-03-2021, 09:25 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums.

I can't comment on the K70, so I guess my opinion isn't relevant to your question - but I'll give half an opinion anyway. KP gave me the best image quality I'd ever had from a camera, until my K-1ii came along. I got it new for a bargain price, and sold it (for a bargain price), and kind of wish I'd kept it.
12-04-2021, 06:33 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DamienW Quote
Welcome to the forums.

I can't comment on the K70, so I guess my opinion isn't relevant to your question - but I'll give half an opinion anyway. KP gave me the best image quality I'd ever had from a camera, until my K-1ii came along. I got it new for a bargain price, and sold it (for a bargain price), and kind of wish I'd kept it.
I知 afraid I知 lost. Did you keep the KP or the k1ii? I知 trying to work out which one you miss.
12-04-2021, 06:39 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The KP is superior on several build and operational fronts but the forum consensus seems to be that they are very close in IQ.
12-04-2021, 12:15 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I cannot say anything about the KP, but I have owned a K-7- for two years and am very happy with it. I had shot with a ist DL and a K-x prior to getting my K70 (still have a K-x), I find the K70 very similar in feel and handling to my previous cameras. Can only go on the looks ,but the KP appears more angled and "boxy" for lack of a better word, than my cameras. As for IQ, I can't compare either but the K-70 has given me some very nice clear photos. Colors are also very good to my eye. Let us know what you finally decide on, KP, K-70, or K3III. Because they are all Pentax , whichever you get will be a great camera.
12-04-2021, 02:59 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I知 afraid I知 lost. Did you keep the KP or the k1ii? I知 trying to work out which one you miss.
Sorry, that was poorly worded. I picked up the KP cheaply, and sold it (cheaply...at least, compared the the prices I see now). Picked up the K-1ii with the proceeds (well, partially, I also had a full set of DA Limited's that I sold off, and various other bits and pieces).

So yeah, I do miss the KP. But I love the K-1ii. Wouldn't mind having both.
12-04-2021, 03:13 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DamienW Quote
Sorry, that was poorly worded. I picked up the KP cheaply, and sold it (cheaply...at least, compared the the prices I see now). Picked up the K-1ii with the proceeds (well, partially, I also had a full set of DA Limited's that I sold off, and various other bits and pieces).

So yeah, I do miss the KP. But I love the K-1ii. Wouldn't mind having both.
No worries. They are both good cameras.
12-04-2021, 07:18 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No worries. They are both good cameras.
Of course they are good cameras, they're Pentax!