Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2008, 03:44 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yet another Aussie

Newcastle, NSW here.

Only just bought my first digital SLR Pentax. I still have a 13 yr old 35mm film compact ESPIO 738 with a 38-70mm zoom. Decent little thing it was/is, but I havent shot with film for a very long time.

Pentax is the K200D with smc PENTAX-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6ALII and I have just bought a Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 to go with it. I'm having a lot of fun learning how to drive it all

Question: How does one get one of those sig banners with the Pentax model in it?

12-06-2008, 04:54 PM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome aboard, aye, you will find one or two other Aussies in here.
12-06-2008, 04:59 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Question: How does one get one of those sig banners with the Pentax model in it?
You can eather steal *cough* use one already out there on the net. Or you can make your own like I did. But then again I am a gfx artist slash video editor so I know my way around photoshop.

But there is a few tutorials around for Userbars (which most people around here seem to be using) try..... Userbars.com - Tutorials or UserSigs.com - 1000's of Free Forum Signatures and Forum Bars.
12-06-2008, 08:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum kyteflyer.

There'sa number of Aussies on here .. Bramela for instance is from Newcastle as well.
I am from the Hawkesbury area NW of Sydney ... and there's a nubmer of other Sydneysiders here ... and also south coast as well.

A hell of a lot of Melbournians as well ... and a number from QLD, SA and WA as well.

Looking forward to seeing some of your images.

12-07-2008, 03:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Welcome Kyteflyer!

Glad to have another Aussie around. You'll have a lot of fun with your K200D - hope you can show us some of your images!

Cheers
12-07-2008, 05:54 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcomes, people, I've been going at it like a mad thing, but not a lot to show at this stage... I'm still doing battle with my laziness of the past few years when I was using bridge cameras or P&S. Adapting isnt so hard, its wanting to do everything, right now.

I think one thing I may have learned is that when you go out to take pix, you need to have a notion of what you want to do ahead of time so you aren't switching and swapping lenses every five minutes (Friday evening was a lens swapper of an evening, and I missed stuff because of it)

I think I need to weigh in on discussion about all-in-one lenses and get some advice there. I have no doubt that the discussion exists, just have not yet had time to read everything in the forum...

I'm rambling. oops.
12-07-2008, 05:56 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nakaleen Quote
But there is a few tutorials around for Userbars (which most people around here seem to be using) try..... Userbars.com - Tutorials or UserSigs.com - 1000's of Free Forum Signatures and Forum Bars.
Thanks for those links, heading off to userbars right now

(done)

Last edited by kyteflyer; 12-07-2008 at 06:31 PM.
12-07-2008, 09:49 PM   #8

welcome kyteflyer

I joined up to PF about six months ago and have found it to be very informative. Enjoy taking photos with your new camera.Try all the functions and pick up some old M series lenses to use as well ,the results are very satisfying. Best wishes Johngios.

12-07-2008, 10:02 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johngios Quote
I joined up to PF about six months ago and have found it to be very informative. Enjoy taking photos with your new camera.Try all the functions and pick up some old M series lenses to use as well ,the results are very satisfying. Best wishes Johngios.
Thanks, John, I will. There is just so much to be learning I think I will be reading a lot more before I start contributing in any meaningful way
12-08-2008, 06:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
I think one thing I may have learned is that when you go out to take pix, you need to have a notion of what you want to do ahead of time so you aren't switching and swapping lenses every five minutes (Friday evening was a lens swapper of an evening, and I missed stuff because of it)

I think I need to weigh in on discussion about all-in-one lenses and get some advice there.
You can get real value from approaching photography in the same way as a musician approaches music, by practicing the equivalent of scales and arpeggios. As an example, there's a certain line of trees on a ridge near where I live and I like to go out most days and photograph them. The light is always different and there are so many angles to choose, that it really makes you learn your camera well and figure out what lenses to use, shutter speeds, apertures, ISO settings etc. It also hones your observation and composition skills. Funnily enough, it's never boring.

With regard to all-in-one lenses, I remember a similar feeling, almost of panic, when I first got my K100D. I hadn't used any kind of slr for twenty-odd years and suddenly here was this great lump of a camera and a forum where everyone talks about lens lust. I was all set to sell it all and rush back to the safety of a point-and-shoot. I strongly suggest you don't follow my pitiful leanings! There's no rush. Learn your kit lens thoroughly first and get comfortable with the type of photography that most presses your buttons. Then you'll know what lenses would most help you to get better at that particular genre (eg wide angles for landscape, big telephotos for wildlife and sports etc). You bought a dslr because you can change lenses to get exactly the shots you want. I don't see the point in then choosing one lens that does it all. It's like strangling yourself.

Also, don't feel you have to somehow "catch up" to where everyone else appears to be. Just be your own photographer and share your particular joy with us. Wriggle around a bit. You'll soon find a place where you'll feel at home. On this forum, I've found that whatever level you're at your efforts are respected by every member (especially those giants with several thousand postings!).

Welcome and enjoy, mate.
12-08-2008, 02:44 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote

Welcome and enjoy, mate.

Thank you so much for your very sound advice I guess I need to find my own particular line of trees, as it were. Its a good idea.

I plan to enjoy, the camera is my new best friend, and the best thing of all is that it gets me out of the house, to which I have been tied by my computer addiction for 20 years!!