Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2021, 06:55 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello Frank. Welcome to the forum. Having lived in so many cities should have left a ton of interesting stories and photos! Would be nice to share some! Enjoy your time here, hope you get in shooting action soon.

12-02-2021, 09:09 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome Frank! I envy your closeness to all that beautiful country where you live. Return here often.
12-02-2021, 09:58 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome... looking forward to some wildlife postings.

I'm going to suggest K-P (or K-70 if you can't find one) and DA 16-85 and DA 55-300 PLM. In my mind that's a base Pentax kit for "capturing shapes/lines/color and composition contrasts —as well as animals and wildlife"

I you aren't into shallow DoF, that may keep you busy for along time.
12-02-2021, 06:42 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome!

12-03-2021, 04:06 PM   #20

Original Poster
Wow…. I must say that I quite taken aback by all of those who have spent the time to send a quick hello—or share some thoughts. A gracious thanks to everyone!!!!

While in the waiting room at the Dr.’s office today, I read the post regarding the community Zoom session that Pentax/Ricoh held on 11/27/21 conjunction with this board. My net takeaway is that as an organization, Ricoh/Pentax is like a family.

And I don’t mean that as the trite, toss-away-type phrase that is so over used today.

No—it was messy, non-commital, highly anticipatory, and left everyone wanting to interact more. Just like a large family gathering (at least in my case).

Even the giveaway; only a true camera lover would appreciate the engineering complexity of a detailed model illustrating a lens assembly. I find myself nearly using the word “organic”—-but I just can’t bring myself to it. Sorry, but Canon would have given you another camera bag—Pentax is giving you the same distinguished item that occupies space on someone’s bookshelf or desk at the company.

There was a collective need to focus on a few topics with high appeal/consensus. There was the actual work of the men and women who design the cameras and lenses by publicly displaying their own work—A little nerve racking ?…after all, do you expect jittery shots of Uncle Joe trying to eat an ice cream cone while little someone is changing little Noah Jr.’s diaper in the background from someone at Pentax? No!

I have no idea what they looked like but just the process of displaying what they shoot to beta test their equipment is a fascinating study of photo/social/design/company, anthropology. That speaks volumes to me and explains many of the unique design features/ and touches they build into their cameras.

Even for myself—being drawn to read what others have posted, the sheer amount of hello’s and welcomes and encouragement from around the world is very heartwarming.

Thanks!
12-03-2021, 06:27 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome from a former Coloradoan!
12-03-2021, 07:54 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome Frank!

12-03-2021, 08:03 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello! Welcome to the party. There are cameras on the right and lenses on the left. Bathroom is down the hall. Please help yourself to your choice of beverage while you're here! Cheers!
12-03-2021, 09:07 PM - 1 Like   #24
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to Pentax Forum Frank, another from NZ.

Best wishes as you enjoy both your photography and your time here
12-04-2021, 04:02 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Welcome from Spain!.
12-05-2021, 07:32 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
Hello Frank. Welcome to the forum. Having lived in so many cities should have left a ton of interesting stories and photos! Would be nice to share some! Enjoy your time here, hope you get in shooting action soon.
Michail,
Thanks for the hello!
Indeed, many good stories about traveling—not to say that great shots can’t be had everywhere.
I’m sure you and the other members have many of your own.

---------- Post added 12-05-21 at 07:34 PM ----------

Dittos to you, my new friend! Idaho has numerous beautiful locations as well. Happy Holidays!

---------- Post added 12-05-21 at 07:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JimS_256 Quote
Welcome from a former Coloradoan!
Thanks for that input!

---------- Post added 12-05-21 at 07:41 PM ----------

I do believe I could use a tutorial on how to effectively manipulate and respond to people here…I believe I have embarrassed myself significantly and perhaps irritated a few. My apologies
12-05-2021, 08:52 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frank McBride Quote
Michail,
Thanks for that input!

---------- Post added 12-05-21 at 07:41 PM ----------

I do believe I could use a tutorial on how to effectively manipulate and respond to people here…I believe I have embarrassed myself significantly and perhaps irritated a few. My apologies
Don't worry this is the nicest forum I participate in. A couple of days ago I posted in the welcome thread simply saying "Welcome!". I got an error so I posted again, and again, and again. When the internet finally worked I saw all my welcomes were posted as separate posts. Yikes.. It was embarrassing.
12-06-2021, 03:42 PM   #28
Pentaxian

My entry.
12-07-2021, 04:02 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums Frank...nice intro.

I must say that I quite taken aback by all of those who have spent the time to send a quick hello—or share some thoughts.
Well...the competitions running at the moment probably keep people on the welcome wagon!

My net takeaway is that as an organization, Ricoh/Pentax is like a family
Pentax/Ricoh is certainly...different. They are happy to publish videos online that aren't exactly slick, but can be quite honest and informative sometimes. I didn't shoot with Pentax when I was younger (I was given my father's old Praktica when I was 15 or so, which he then replaced with a Ricoh), though my sister had one that I got to touch when she wasn't looking! I feel like a contrarian sometimes, as Pentax and Olympus are my prime shooters.
12-07-2021, 08:03 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Frank, welcome to the forum. You posted an informative and interesting intro. You also have a background that speaks of interest and expertise, glad to have you here. Again, welcome from a Pennsylvanian.