Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
12-05-2021, 11:15 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum! Just finished reading your write up, which is nice, and I am amazed at your skills.

I really should take up my friends' offer next time they decide to head out to Joshua Tree.

12-06-2021, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ken Lee Quote
Thanks. It's really quite rewarding to photograph at night. I am not an astrophotographer at all, but rather, do night photography with light painting...well, it's easier if I just show you, I suppose.
You show talent and expertise with your photos. Thank you for sharing. Please continue to post more.

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I agree, though I've found many great places in my corner of the US as well. It's a matter of getting out rather than sitting home.
These groups and threads might interest you.

Pentax Night Owls

Lightpainting
Thank you for posting the links, I jad not been aware of those threads and now will be exploring them.
12-06-2021, 07:48 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome! The K-1 does seem almost purpose built for night photography.
12-07-2021, 06:08 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I feel like it is. The K-1, even years after its release, is a stunning camera. Put it this way....I purchased it even though I have been a long-time Nikon user. I wrote an article about seven reasons why I now use a Pentax, in fact, I was so happy with it!

12-07-2021, 07:12 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wrote an article
Good article, a very enjoyable read. Very creative and well made images on your website, too.

The night time temperatures are commonly below freezing at this time of year, which reminds me of one way that LA and Southern California are superior for night shooting.
12-08-2021, 04:36 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum!
12-08-2021, 10:52 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mamba909 Quote
Welcome to the forum! Just finished reading your write up, which is nice, and I am amazed at your skills.

I really should take up my friends' offer next time they decide to head out to Joshua Tree.
Thanks! Great place. My spiritual home for night photography.

---------- Post added 12-08-21 at 11:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Good article, a very enjoyable read. Very creative and well made images on your website, too.

The night time temperatures are commonly below freezing at this time of year, which reminds me of one way that LA and Southern California are superior for night shooting.
Yeah, unless you have elevation, the temperatures are mild. Did a photography shoot last year where I had to scrape ice and frost from my windshield and run the defroster for five minutes. Now, what’s weird abput this was that it was t-shirt weather during the day.

Thanks for the kind words!

12-09-2021, 03:14 AM   #23
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Another welcome from New Zealand.

Best wishes for your photography.
12-14-2021, 10:52 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you! Greatly appreciated!
12-16-2021, 11:47 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome aboard!
12-17-2021, 07:45 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey, I'm a night photographer from Los Angeles, CA and thought I would say hello.

I'm not gonna write too much about myself except to say that I love night photography and light painting.

Photographed with Nikon for a long time. However, in November or December 2019, I purchased a used K-1 Mk I because of the beautiful image quality and feature set. I have lots of reasons why I purchased the K-1. Funny thing is I don't actually use the Astrotracer all that much. The quality, ease of use, and build are fantastic, though.

I don't have that many lenses yet, although bizarrely, I acquired another 15-30mm, so I will sell that. But I also have a 28-105mm and a Lensbaby, so I'm slowly building up my collection of lenses.
Welcome to the forums! You already have very good equipment.
12-21-2021, 10:40 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks. I am super pleased with the equipment. You know I really wanted to have Pentax for a few years beforehand, especially when they came out with the K-1. To get me to switch and invest in new lenses was a big deal after being generally happy with Nikon. But the Pentax K-1 is such a great camera that I couldn't stay away.
12-23-2021, 02:01 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ken,

Welcome to the forum from another Los Angeles member.

Great photos. Where was that Joshua tree? Antelope valley?
12-23-2021, 06:40 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
Ken,

Welcome to the forum from another Los Angeles member.

Great photos. Where was that Joshua tree? Antelope valley?
Thanks! Cool to meet another LA member!

The first one is Joshua Tree NP in California.

The second one is in Nevada south of Las Vegas.
12-28-2021, 02:28 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to forum from Poland. Have a great time here!