Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2022, 12:16 PM   #16
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
You could look into an olympus m43 body, the em5 and em1 lines have great water resistance like pentax.
The Olympus OM-D E-M1X is supposedly one of the most weather-resistant ILCs manufactured to date, and the only one I'm aware of to have an IP rating... but it's a pretty measly IPX1 rating, which means it should be fine in vertically dripping water for 10 mins at 1mm rainfall per minute. The next level up, IPX2, covers rain at up to a 15 degree angle - which the camera isn't rated for. The level down from IPX1 is no protection at all. That said, from the YouTube videos I've seen, the E-M1X does seem impressively weather resistant... but then, so do the various Pentax WR cameras...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-23-2022 at 01:25 PM.
01-23-2022, 01:18 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
I think some of the Olympus cameras have an IP weather-proofing rating. Might be worth checking out
Olympus torture tests their gear during design at least. I think they sample them during production also. IPX1 is all I can find (em5) which is splash resistant from above. Leica SL2 is IP54 I recall. (Splash resistant from all angles) but none with interchangeable lenses is rated for full immersion. The Nikon AW1 was but isn’t made anymore.

https://www.camsecure.co.uk/CamsecureIPratings.html
01-23-2022, 06:38 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Olympus torture tests their gear during design at least. I think they sample them during production also. IPX1 is all I can find (em5) which is splash resistant from above. Leica SL2 is IP54 I recall. (Splash resistant from all angles) but none with interchangeable lenses is rated for full immersion. The Nikon AW1 was but isn’t made anymore.

https://www.camsecure.co.uk/CamsecureIPratings.html
Anyone look at the video I posted earlier with the various cameras tested? Pentax delivers what they promise, Olympus is very secure against water, and Sony is lousy in inclement weather, as others have also verified. But digital camera IPX ratings are generally useless. In the real world Olympus is very well built but IPX1 means that it is one level better than IPX0 - which is no protection. Here is a great discussion about the IPX ratings:
why no IPX rating? -- Canon EOS Digital Cameras in photography-on-the.net forums
01-23-2022, 06:50 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

Sometimes these posts are pretty funny. A guy who destroys Pentax's going to Sony....that's just bizarre.

01-24-2022, 06:41 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
Anyone look at the video I posted earlier with the various cameras tested? Pentax delivers what they promise, Olympus is very secure against water, and Sony is lousy in inclement weather, as others have also verified. But digital camera IPX ratings are generally useless. In the real world Olympus is very well built but IPX1 means that it is one level better than IPX0 - which is no protection. Here is a great discussion about the IPX ratings:
why no IPX rating? -- Canon EOS Digital Cameras in photography-on-the.net forums
The Olympus rating is much lower than what Olympus actually tests to which is weird but true. I agree that ipx1 isn’t much but it’s a start. No rating isn’t the best way to give customers a warm and fuzzy.
01-29-2022, 11:34 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Sometimes these posts are pretty funny. A guy who destroys Pentax's going to Sony....that's just bizarre.
Went to sony because I needed the features they offer. Pentax is lagging behind in just about every category and the only saving grace was durability. Because I was not getting the durability in the "new" pentax line that I was getting with the K-5. I went shopping for the best feature set to fit my needs.
01-29-2022, 11:36 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rvandenbrink Quote
Try a k3(any version), the screen is fixed I think? My KP is also pretty weatherproof, even tho the screen does flip up/down
k3 was great, but needed the versatility of a FF camera.

---------- Post added 01-29-22 at 11:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That's quite the (re-)introduction, Sam, especially as you're looking to sell your equipment... "ridden hard and put away wet", eh?

I'm interested to know which Sony camera you've selected (I actually rather like Sony and shoot the older A7 MkII when adapting vintage lenses). They haven't had the best reputation for weather resistance in the past, though I understand they're somewhat better now. Better than a K-1, though? Honestly, I doubt that... None of the DSLR and mirrorless cameras currently on the market is completely weather / water-proof.

Regardless, good luck and enjoy your Sony journey. Maybe you'll come back some time and let us know how you get on?
I gave up on shopping for durability. I shoot alot of video in the dark so went with the A7siii. I am enjoying the amount of customization and versatility of the menu and the video specific features. Missing the feel of the pentax. Also the mirrorless cameras must have a dust magnet on the sensor! Very annoying in the adventure video field.

---------- Post added 01-29-22 at 11:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That's quite the (re-)introduction, Sam, especially as you're looking to sell your equipment... "ridden hard and put away wet", eh?

I'm interested to know which Sony camera you've selected (I actually rather like Sony and shoot the older A7 MkII when adapting vintage lenses). They haven't had the best reputation for weather resistance in the past, though I understand they're somewhat better now. Better than a K-1, though? Honestly, I doubt that... None of the DSLR and mirrorless cameras currently on the market is completely weather / water-proof.

Regardless, good luck and enjoy your Sony journey. Maybe you'll come back some time and let us know how you get on?
I gave up on shopping for durability. I shoot alot of video in the dark so went with the A7siii. I am enjoying the amount of customization and versatility of the menu and the video specific features. Missing the feel of the pentax. Also the mirrorless cameras must have a dust magnet on the sensor! Very annoying in the adventure video field.

---------- Post added 01-29-22 at 11:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I think if there's ever been someone for whom the K-3 III with its fixed screen was built for, it might have been you...
I loved my k-3ii needed the FF of the k-1, was tired of carrying heavy glass around and not being able to fully use it.

---------- Post added 01-29-22 at 11:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sidney Porter Quote
If you are submerging and then drying it out the next day you expectations are beyond what they offer. These are not underwater cameras.

I have an older go pro with a water proof case. It has been submerged. Crashed on mountain bikes, struck by lacrosse balls, dropped while hiking
Well I was on an expedition in Patagonia there were not a lot of options at the time I don't make a habit of taking my DSLR swimming without a case. Having the k-1 screen fail so easily in light rain and again in light spray I decided if I was going to have to deal with that limitation I may as well have more videocentric features on board my body. I will always love Pentax, it took me 3 years of my colleagues making fun of me to finally upgrade, and only because the durability was not there anymore (even after sealing the screen to the camera body).

---------- Post added 01-29-22 at 11:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
You managed to destroy 3 K1 body, I am wondering how long a Sony will last!
So far it is lasting longer than my second K1 with the same treatment. Light rain, Dew covered timelapse and 200 miles of backcountry travel.

---------- Post added 01-29-22 at 11:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
The opening post feels like the internet equivalent of coming along and taking a dump on someone's doorstep.

Why do some people feel the need to come along and make a public announcement about how they think something (not just Pentax) isn't up to scratch instead of just quietly moving on. Maybe they need to be the centre of attention.........
Made the post so you did not think the gear I was going to post for sale was lightly used. Why do you post anything on a forum? I want to share my experience and become more informed. Hope you enjoy being the center of my attention for these few seconds

---------- Post added 01-29-22 at 12:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
You could look into an olympus m43 body, the em5 and em1 lines have great water resistance like pentax.
Thank you for the suggestion. I will take a look.

---------- Post added 01-29-22 at 12:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The em1x is said to be the best at weather resistance and it certainly has video chops but the OP may be looking for full frame. The L-alliance Panasonic and Leica offerings are said to be quite well sealed as well.
I looked hard at the panasonic, opted to give up on durability, in exchange for low light functionality.

01-29-2022, 01:40 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by YogaSlackerSam Quote
I looked hard at the panasonic, opted to give up on durability, in exchange for low light functionality.
Which Sony are you looking at? I assume the S1R is the Panasonic that you looked at rather than the S5? The S5 is very close to the best Sony options but not as much resolution as I assume you wanted?