Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2022, 11:08 AM   #1

I have been using Pentax to shoot adventures since 2011

Hey all,

I shoot adventure based video all over the world. Pentax has been great till the release of the k1 I have killed 3 bodys due to the seals in the articulating screen. I even did some DIY sealing of the screen in my last body by filling it with electric grade silicon, it lasted a bit longer but still died. Gon are the days of the k-5 where you could submerge it dry it over night and shoot the next day. I need hardware that keeps up with my lifestyle so I am moving to Sony. I don't expect sony to be much better in weather seals but all bells and whistles I have done without because pentax was so bombproof won me over sense pentax is no longer bomb proof.

I have been on the forum for a number of years not very active as YogaSlackers... unfortunately it seems my account was hacked and banned for spamming. I opened this one to offer my gear for sale here first. My gear has been used hard as evident by my post. Keep an eye out for my posting in the next few days.

Sam

01-22-2022, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm fairly sure all of the Pentax bodies perform as intended in regards to the weather sealing. Perhaps some of them perform more 'above and beyond' the intended ratings than others. What's weird to me is that you would keep killing them one after another doing things above and beyond the intended design. Seems like you might have learned your lesson at some point! Good luck selling your abused gear.

"There's an old saying in Tennessee (I know it's in Texas- Probably in Tenessee) that says; fool me once, shame on- shame on you. Fool me- we can't get fooled again." -G. W. Bush
01-22-2022, 12:51 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Try a k3(any version), the screen is fixed I think? My KP is also pretty weatherproof, even tho the screen does flip up/down
01-22-2022, 01:13 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

That's quite the (re-)introduction, Sam, especially as you're looking to sell your equipment... "ridden hard and put away wet", eh?

I'm interested to know which Sony camera you've selected (I actually rather like Sony and shoot the older A7 MkII when adapting vintage lenses). They haven't had the best reputation for weather resistance in the past, though I understand they're somewhat better now. Better than a K-1, though? Honestly, I doubt that... None of the DSLR and mirrorless cameras currently on the market is completely weather / water-proof.

Regardless, good luck and enjoy your Sony journey. Maybe you'll come back some time and let us know how you get on?

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-22-2022 at 01:58 PM.
01-22-2022, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think if there's ever been someone for whom the K-3 III with its fixed screen was built for, it might have been you...
01-22-2022, 03:02 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sony’s not where I’d run to if I was looking for bullet proof weather sealing. Even Sony fans acknowledge how poor the sealing is. I own an A7RIII and a KP and a K-3. Guess which brand went into the falling snow last night. That’s right, Pentax. I took the KP and my DA* 16-50 SDM (converted). I don’t have the K-1, and I don’t doubt the report. But it suggests that a more robust camera than the Sony would be warranted.
01-22-2022, 03:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If you are submerging and then drying it out the next day you expectations are beyond what they offer. These are not underwater cameras.

I have an older go pro with a water proof case. It has been submerged. Crashed on mountain bikes, struck by lacrosse balls, dropped while hiking

01-22-2022, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #8
Inactive Account

You managed to destroy 3 K1 body, I am wondering how long a Sony will last!

Last edited by tokyoscape; 01-22-2022 at 05:33 PM.
01-22-2022, 05:32 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You could look into an olympus m43 body, the em5 and em1 lines have great water resistance like pentax.
01-22-2022, 07:36 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The opening post feels like the internet equivalent of coming along and taking a dump on someone's doorstep.

Why do some people feel the need to come along and make a public announcement about how they think something (not just Pentax) isn't up to scratch instead of just quietly moving on. Maybe they need to be the centre of attention.........
01-22-2022, 07:49 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
You could look into an olympus m43 body, the em5 and em1 lines have great water resistance like pentax.
The em1x is said to be the best at weather resistance and it certainly has video chops but the OP may be looking for full frame. The L-alliance Panasonic and Leica offerings are said to be quite well sealed as well.
01-22-2022, 11:32 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Submerging without damage isn't a realistic expectation. My K-5 with WR lens was merely sprayed by the top of one wave (standing nearly 6ft high on a tripod on a dry beach), and the next day definitely wasn't operational. After drying out another day or two it recovered, but the point is that it was nowhere near submerged and still didn't escape without damage.
01-23-2022, 03:08 AM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome back... it sounds to me like you need a camera specific bespoke waterproof housing. To go forward with whatever camera brand you choose to go with.
01-23-2022, 08:07 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I think some of the Olympus cameras have an IP weather-proofing rating. Might be worth checking out
01-23-2022, 11:19 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Three K1 bodies ruined because of weather sealing on the lcd screen? Not sure what camera would hold up to the abuse you are putting it through, and I assume it is with the articulating screen not being flush against the camera. If it is overall weather proofing, then Sony keeps coming out at the bottom of the testing.
'Water Torture Test' compares Canon, Nikon, Sony and Olympus weather sealing

Can’t stand this guy but the end of his video shows you how his Pentax has held up.

If I were u, I would show them your abused k1 when I buy the new expensive Sony, and ask them, if I take out an extended warranty will it cover this type of abuse?
Will be interesting to see what your abused equipment looks like when posted for sale.