Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2022, 06:02 AM   #1

Hi & can anyone help with Tamron 17-50mm on K-1??

Hi folks,

Just wanted to introduce myself as someone new to the forum - please bear with me as I ask some daft questions!

My Tamron Aspherical XR DiII SP 17-50mm has started producing images like the attached. I can't see any damage and it isn't making any strange noises. Any idea what could be causing this (or how to fix it)?

Thanks,

Diarmuid

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
01-29-2022, 06:33 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
From the Tamron website:-

Please note that Di II lenses are made for the exclusive use on digital SLR cameras with image sensors smaller than 24mm x 16mm. Di II lenses cannot be used together with a full format or 35mm SLR camera, as their image sensors are not able to cover the entire area of full format resulting in dark corners of the (i.e. vignetting becomes noticeable).
01-29-2022, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #3
Closed Account

Hi Diarmuid, welcome from Australia. Your lens (see below) is APS-C format and your K-1 II is set to full frame mode.
I don't have the K-1, so one of the others can tell you which setting to change. Both K-1's are capable to shoot APS-C and full frame.

Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 SP AF XR LD Aspherical IF Di II Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
01-29-2022, 06:47 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
yes , your PENTAX K-1 Mark II needs full frame lens,
otherwise you need to switch your camera to APS-C mode or leave the Crop mode on AUTO.

01-29-2022, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

@Diarmuid

welcome to the forums

a lot of friendly members and knowledge can be found here

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Diarmuid, welcome from Australia. Your lens (see below) is APS-C format and your K-1 II is set to full frame mode.
I don't have the K-1, so one of the others can tell you which setting to change. Both K-1's are capable to shoot APS-C and full frame.
. . .
manual -

https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-1-2.pdf

in depth review -

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-1 Mark II vs K-1 Review
Introduction
The Pentax K-1 full frame camera launched in February 2016 and made quite a splash in the Pentax community. This first full frame Pentax DSLR, loaded with many new and innovative features, was the camera many users had been waiting for. A popular and well-liked camera, the K-1 includes elements such as night illumination, a unique tilting LCD, a built-in GPS, shake reduction and pixel shift.
Read more at: Pentax K-1 Mark II vs K-1 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

owners reviews -

Pentax K-1 II - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
01-29-2022, 07:22 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forums!
"Daft questions" are welcome!

------

QuoteOriginally posted by dambu1 Quote
My Tamron Aspherical XR DiII SP 17-50mm has started producing images like the attached. I can't see any damage and it isn't making any strange noises. Any idea what could be causing this (or how to fix it)?
If you're referring to the vignetting (the black circle covering the corners of the image), it's because you are using a crop lens on your full frame camera. The lens doesn't make a large enough image circle to cover the whole sensor.
But your K1ii has a crop mode, or a 1:1 aspect mode (square image). Either of those will give you results that crop out that vignetting.
They will be lower resolution than the camera would be able to create with a full frame lens, but that is the best you can get with an APSC lens (DA lenses from Pentax, DC lenses from Sigma, or Di II lenses from Tamron (like yours)) on your FF camera. The lenses are designed this way assuming they will be used on an APSC camera (like a K3 or K70, or well, any Pentax that's not a K1 or a film camera), and it allows them to be smaller and lighter than FF lenses.

You'll probably want your K1ii in crop mode.

To switch between crop and FF mode without menu diving, you can use the wheels on the top of the camera.
Set the function dial (the one on the right side with writing on it) to crop. Then turn the setting dial (the one on the top that has no writing) while looking through the viewfinder and it will cycle between the three options. Thick black lines in the viewfinder will indicate whether you are in crop, square, or full frame mode (no lines in full frame mode; it's the whole viewfinder).

There are other ways to change this, including a setting to have the camera automatically detect when a crop lens is mounted on the camera and make the switch automatically.
That setting is in the second page of the menu as "Crop," and you probably would want it set to "Auto." I suspect it's set to "FF" right now, given the results you're getting.

Your final option is just to crop them out yourself on the computer before printing or uploading your pictures, and how you do this will depend on what software you use, but it's usually quite simple in any software I've seen. Be aware that some of the areas just inside the edges of the black circle will have an image, but not be super sharp.

Last edited by wadge22; 02-05-2022 at 07:49 PM.
01-29-2022, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your K-1 probably got switched to full-frame from crop mode. The top dial has a crop selection position and then a turn of the top selection knob will select the crop mode you want to use (in this case APS-C). That should fix your LCD presentation of images, but you'll still see the rounded corners in the optical viewfinder. Also, stopped down, your lens may produce a larger usable field but your shot provided shows the lens is opened nearly all the way (f4) and that will accentuate the porthole effect. Stopping down will get a larger "porthole" but for this lens, you should be shooting in the APS-C crop mode as mentioned previously.

Curiously enough, this effect is the subject of one of my recurring nightmares which involves the use of a zoom lens and something that has come loose inside. It always happens at the worst possible time when I'm trying to get a shot of a beautiful landscape or something of the such and I can never get it fixed before I wake up or move on to another dream - never had it happen in real life though.

01-29-2022, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Your initial enquiry has been very swiftly responded by the membership, so it just leaves me to say welcome aboard.
01-29-2022, 08:40 AM - 4 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum.

QuoteQuote:
Welcome to the forums!
"Daft questions" are welcome!
We actually prefer them, they are easier to answer and provoke less controversy.
01-29-2022, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

@dambu1

[ I hope this isn't too basic ]

Pentax k mount DSLRs

https://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-k-mount-dslrs-c1.html

either have the ASP-C sensor, known as a " crop " sensor, [ a smaller rectangular shape - 24mm x 16mm ] or the " full size " sensor [ a larger rectangular shape the size of an old 35mm film frame - 24mm x 36 mm ] of the K 1 and K1 II

_____

a lot of helpful information can be found at the forums in the " articles " section such as:

QuoteQuote:
The Crop Factor Explained: An Animation
Understanding a very confusing concept
By PF Staff in Tutorial Videos on Jan 19, 2015

Read more at: The Crop Factor Explained: An Animation - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

QuoteQuote:
The Crop Factor Unmasked
Field of View vs Focal Length on various formats
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on Jul 23, 2014

Read more at: The Crop Factor Unmasked - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
yes , your PENTAX K-1 Mark II needs full frame lens,. . .
that isn't necessarily so as shown in this article -

QuoteQuote:
Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test
Which DA lenses cover the full 24x36 mm frame?
By PF Staff in Gear Guides on Jan 7, 2019

In response to the many requests regarding which DA lenses cover the 24x36 mm full frame format ("FF") we have tested almost all DA lenses with a Pentax K-1 under similar circumstances. We are happy to finally be able to present the full results.

A few DA lenses officially support full frame as stated by Ricoh/Pentax. Those lenses are:

DA* 200mm F2.8
DA* 300mm F4
DA 560mm F5.6

For all the other lenses which we have tested the FF coverage presented in the table below is based on our subjective evaluation of a very large number of test images taken at various apertures, focus settings, and zoom settings, as appropriate. It is highly personal how much vignetting, how much drop in resolution, or how much optical distortion is acceptable, so your mileage may vary. We welcome feedback on our evaluation, but please include photo evidence with any such feedback.

The main flaws generally found with the FF coverage are:

black corners, i.e. the lens doesn't cover the FF frame at all
heavy vignetting, i.e. the lens covers the FF frame but the vignetting is too heavy to give an acceptable result even when corrected in post processing
soft corners, i.e. blurry and/or swirly patterns. . .

Read more at: Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-29-2022 at 09:42 AM.
01-30-2022, 04:42 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
@dambu1

[ I hope this isn't too basic ]

Pentax k mount DSLRs

Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Pentax Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

either have the ASP-C sensor, known as a " crop " sensor, [ a smaller rectangular shape - 24mm x 16mm ] or the " full size " sensor [ a larger rectangular shape the size of an old 35mm film frame - 24mm x 36 mm ] of the K 1 and K1 II

_____

a lot of helpful information can be found at the forums in the " articles " section such as:

Read more at: The Crop Factor Explained: An Animation - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

Read more at: The Crop Factor Unmasked - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

that isn't necessarily so as shown in this article -

Read more at: Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com
Hi Allen - thank you so much for this reply - I feel like a bit of an idiot, but now thanks to you I'm a somewhat enlightened idiot!

Wishing you all the very best.

Diarmuid
01-30-2022, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . Wishing you all the very best.

Diarmuid
Thanks

Should have used " full frame " instead of " full size "

You and yours stay safe as well
01-30-2022, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

This should help you...
https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-1.pdf
and
https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-1.pdf
01-31-2022, 03:53 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thank you all

Big thanks again to all of you who responded - lots of sound advice and you are all very polite given my fundamental error!

Best wishes,

Diarmuid
01-31-2022, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . .my fundamental error. . .
one might say that -

making errors are part of life

learning from errors is one of the keys to a successful life

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-31-2022 at 08:29 AM.