Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2022, 12:21 PM   #1

Greetings from Long Island

I just realized that I enjoy photography but never gave it much thought. I remember using an old Canon 35 mm that my dad had purchased for the family in the 80s and was complemented on the photos that I took. I just thought it was luck(and probably was.)

Flash (no pun intended) forward umpteen years, my daughter has taken an interest in photography and I've adopted it in a small manner. She plans on continuing the classes in high school using mainly 35mm cameras.
In researching a camera, I've narrowed down what I would enjoy taking photos of, or would like to. I would enjoy outdoors, the sky and architecture. Living in my area doesn't allow for much wildlife or starry nights, but landscapes and architecture do exist. I believe with all this gibberish said, I believe I will be getting a K-70.
Looking amongst all the ads, facebook groups etc all the recommendations are, for the most part, the same. Best available for cash available. As far as brand names go, it was a normal Canon this, Nikon that, Sony if...etc. Not bashing them in any way, but I to me something was missing, if that makes any sense. I then came across a site dedicated to astrophotography and it listed the names above but threw in a mention of Pentax.
I looked at the K-70 and found that it offered something that, for my interests, was a no-brainer...the weather sealing!!!
This lead my down a rabbit hole of, nah, get the K1, no get this, but in reality im a beginner and the K-70 appears to be just fine.
I think the the icing on the cake was a video posted by Adorama or B&H on New Years. It was a comedy of two cameras outdoing each other and then looking over and seeing Pentax there just watching them.

So, in summation of this run on introduction, hello and thanks for reading.

02-05-2022, 02:16 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and photography the Pentax way
02-05-2022, 02:58 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! The K70 is an excellent choice, most bang for the buck! Lots of good information and enthusiasm here, hand-holding if you need it!
02-05-2022, 05:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forums!

02-05-2022, 05:10 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum!!!!

The K70 is an excellent way to start. It has everything. So, a few comments.
  • Night Sky - There on Long Island, and yes - I understand the light pollution, but there are ways. Right now the Milky Way rises above the horizon at about 5am (and is located from 000 degrees to 130-140 degrees where the core is), and as the months pass it moves back closer to midnight, along with sliding to the south. It is sitting over the ocean - where it's dark. The key is that you can be in a light-polluted area and shoot into a dark area just fine and be able to capture the Milky Way.
  • A friend started with a K70 a couple of years ago - Login ? Instagram He recently upgraded to a K1, so the first couple of rows are the K1, but the bulk of his Instagram page is with the K70.
  • I shoot with the original K1. My friend's K70 equals it (since it has the acceleration noise reduction chip). It's a very good camera. About 18 months ago, he asked me about moving to the K1. I asked him why - since it would cost him about $3K (camera and a lens - K1mkII and the Sigma 35/f1.4). Anyway last year he made the move, and is happy - but he really needs to work at exceeding the K70. It really is a nice - very capable body. It exceeds expectations.