Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2022, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #1

Confused

Hello – I’m logged in as MrMagoo. This was my father’s account. He has sadly passed and I have inherited his computer stuff and camera equipment. In the early 1990’s he gave me a Pentax K-1000 35mm film camera and a couple of lenes. I used it quite a bit for a while, but film and developing got too expensive.
Long story short, I haven’t been around cameras for a long while until I got his. Here what I received:
K-5 II body with a Tamron 28-80 lens
K-70 body with a Tamron 70-200 lens 1:2.8 (whatever that means)
This the camera he used mostly as I remember
He has a number of others Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6
SMC Pentax-F 80-200mm 1:4.7-5.6
SMC Pentax DA 18-135mm
Promaster AF 28-105mm
And others in a box that I don’t think he used very often.

Here’s the issue: I think I’m going to start taking pictures if nothing else to keep his memory alive.
I’m confused with all the types and models of Pentax cameras.
Are the cameras I have “good” cameras? Lenes OK? I have downloaded the manuals for both cameras (seriously 300+ pages for each one!). I don’t understand the model numbering, full frame, mirrorless and all the different mount designations.

Is there some concise reference to all this (not 300 page manual).
Thanks,
I guess I am now MrMagoo!

02-22-2022, 10:22 PM   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear about the passing of your father. But he has left you some nice photographic gear. The K5 II and the K70 are very capable APSC bodies. The K5 II was the flagship model when it ws introduced. The K70 is the current base model but has features way beyond what "base" models are expected to offer. You will find it has many fans here.

Nothing wrong with the Tamron 28-80 - it is a standard "everyday" zoom. But the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is a great telephoto lens. The "f2.8" refers to the maximum aperture That is as wide as they get in the 70-200 or 80-200 range. The Pentax DA 18-135 is also a very good lens and one of the better ones for walk-around use.

But check out the lens (and camera body) reviews here. That will tell you how good your kit is.

And welcome to the Forums!
02-22-2022, 10:53 PM - 1 Like   #3
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My condolences for your father. Continuing his photography hobby is a lovely way to remember him.

Regarding the equipment you have, it is certainly good and current. The K-5 II and the K-70 are not that far apart in spec, but the K-70 is a bit newer.

Rather than slogging through the manual, I would suggest watching a guide on YouTube. The PentaxTips channel is run by a member here, and has some practical guides to equipment. This one is for the K-70.

My suggestion would be to watch the video and then go out with the K-70 and 18-135 lens to start with.

Then it's probably good to read up on "aperture" and "depth of field" to understand why the 1:2.8 lens is likely to perform better in low light and blur the background more.

Last edited by JPT; 02-22-2022 at 11:30 PM.
02-22-2022, 11:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MrMagoo Quote
Are the cameras I have “good” cameras? Lenes OK? I have downloaded the manuals for both cameras (seriously 300+ pages for each one!). I don’t understand the model numbering, full frame, mirrorless and all the different mount designations.
First, sorry to hear about your father.
Second, welcome to the forums!

The cameras are definitely good. The K5ii is from 2012, but was a full featured model for that time, and will still give you very nice pictures. The K70 is the current entry/mid level model. It's very capable, and will probably be your go to. Here's an overview video of the K70.

The lenses sound fine if not top of the line:

The Tamron 70-200 2.8 is a very good lens, the type pros use, especially with that length (70-200 is the focal length) it's good for sports and portraits.

The other Sigmas and Tamrons are a little more middling, but should serve you just fine unless/until you find some reason to look for something else.

The Pentax F 80-200 is probably not going to give you anything more than the Tamron 70-200 (that f2.8 (the aperture) means the lens is good for lower light, compared to the 4.7-5.6 of the Pentax, which will be more limiting; it's also a sign of quality that the 2.8 is just one number for the whole range, whereas the 4.7-5.6 means it lets less light in as you zoom further in, which is usually the case in less high end zooms).

The DA18-135 is a very respectable walkaround kit lens. You will likely find yourself using that lens most often. It's also your weather sealed lens (note that doesn't mean waterproof, but light drizzle or dusty-dirty situations should be fairly safe). The Promaster is a similar, older, likely inferior walkaround lens.

I would say you should look through the box of other lenses. It's possible there are some primes in there (they'll have just one focal length, such as 50mm, or 28mm, instead of 18-135 or 70-200), and primes are generally known to have better image quality than zooms. They may also be 'faster' (a lower aperture number, such as a 50mm f1.7, which will mean be better for low light among other advantages), which will be nice for indoor and evening shots. The lower aperture also gives you more control over how much is in focus and how much is blurry (depth of field), which is an important concept to learn to control, and a fast prime is the traditional tool photographers learn that with. That article I just linked is very helpful: I linked to page 5 about aperture, but you may want to read the whole thing.

Your father may have been using the zooms for the convenience, but some of us prefer primes, and you may find that you do too (or you may not, there's no problem either way). The only way to know is to try! If he has old film era primes, it's entirely possible there are some very good lenses in there.

The other questions:

Mirrorless is a type of camera that doesn't have an optical viewfinder, and instead always puts the image on the sensor(the equivalent of the film from film day), and then shows it to you on a screen of some kind. Neither camera is a mirrorless, and Pentax doesn't do mirrorless (for the most part). Your cameras are DSLRs (digital single lens reflex), which is the other type than mirrorless. I wouldn't worry too much about mirrorless cameras.

Full frame is a size of sensor, as compared to APS-C (or other less common ones). APS-C is also called 'crop' sometimes. It means the sensor is a little bit smaller than the size of 35mm film like in your K1000, whereas full frame is basically that same size. Both of your cameras have APS-C sensors, and neither are full frame. There are advantages and disadvantages to both formats, and I wouldn't worry yourself too much with them since you only have one format.

I wouldn't get yourself too worried about the model numbers. You have two very nice cameras, just stick with those and don't concern yourself with comparing to other models.

Both of your cameras, and almost all Pentax cameras, use the K mount. They can both use the same lenses from your collection. There are different K mount versions, though, and your K5ii can't fully use the newest version. Here's an article on the history of the K mount. Here's the lens compatibility checker. However, you shouldn't have to worry about any of that unless you go to buy new lenses. Your K70 can use any K mount lens, including the most modern ones. Again, either of your cameras can use any of your current lenses.

Hope that wasn't too long, and wasn't too basic for you. And I hope you enjoy your cameras!

02-23-2022, 01:08 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My condolences for your loss. Inheriting his hobby would be a perfect way to always keep your father’s memory fresh. I’m sure you will enjoy taking photos with any of your cameras. I love my K-70 and I think you have a great collection of lenses to begin with. Getting a basic feel of the camera operation is what you need now. Go out with the already mounted lens and try shooting in auto mode. Don’t bother with all the technicalities. The above mentioned video is a nice way to start getting a better idea. Hope you can share some photos soon. Practice and stick around for advice and constructive feedback on your photography. Welcome to the community.
02-23-2022, 02:18 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . Here’s the issue: I think I’m going to start taking pictures if nothing else to keep his memory alive.
I’m confused with all the types and models of Pentax cameras. . . . I have downloaded the manuals for both cameras (seriously 300+ pages for each one!). . . . Is there some concise reference to all this (not 300 page manual). Thanks,

I join in the comments of the others

I suggest you consider this offer:

QuoteQuote:
Donation Special: Get a Free Pentax eBook
Posted By: Adam, 02-21-22, 13:05 (Offline)

Through the end of February only: if you make a new annual donation to the forum in any amount, you will receive a free Pentax eBook- a $18.99 value!

Donate here to take advantage of this deal and choose your free eBook

Whether you're a new user or a seasoned shooter, our eBooks will help you master your camera and push its capabilities to the limit! In addition, your forum account will be upgraded with Marketplace access, additional photo space, and other perks. This offer is only available for donations made through the page above.

eBooks are currently available for . . . K-5 / K-5 II, K-70, . . . After you complete checkout via PayPal or credit card, you'll instantly receive a download link via PM on the forum.

eBook samples are available here. [ Pentax eBook Samples - Download here! - PentaxForums.com ]
Donation Special: Get a Free Pentax eBook! - PentaxForums.com

Many of us depend on the Ebooks to help us get the most out of our Pentax cameras

and you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here at the forums willing to help you in your quest to honor your father's interest in photography

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-23-2022 at 04:08 AM.
02-23-2022, 04:15 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
. . . . Here's the lens compatibility checker. However, you shouldn't have to worry about any of that unless you go to buy new lenses. . . . !
these charts can be helpful -

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-Mount Lens Series Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series
Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-mount Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2020 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA".
Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts unless they are singled out in the table below. So for compatibility of a DA* lens which is not singled out, look under DA lenses, etc.
Exceptions: FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering.
The Pentax K-mount Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

and this part of the forums can be as well:

QuoteQuote:
Useful Pentax/Photo Resources, About
This section is intended to help you with any basic questions you may have about Pentax or photography, as well as technical issues you may be experiencing with your gear. Newbies are welcome here! Feel free to ask any question, no matter now simple (or seemingly obvious), but please post each question in a separate thread!
Read more at: Useful Pentax/Photo Resources, About - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

02-23-2022, 05:34 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome here in your on right, my condolences to you concerning your Fathers passing.
02-23-2022, 10:08 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@adam can you help the op create a new ID? Also maybe show him the e-books available?

@mrmagoo I think you need your own I’d so you can start fresh. I asked the site owner to help you.

The cameras are good and there’s a steep leaning curve only if you approach it as “need to learn all at once!” For the initial time set the lenses on “A” if they have an aperture ring on them (it will lock in place) and use the green mode. (Auto). Then as you lean more you can broaden what you do. On the k70 there are also SCN (scene modes) that can help tailor the camera settings to fit situations. Later you will likely not use these and do your own adjusting but these can help a newcomer.
02-23-2022, 11:29 AM   #10
Pentaxian

As from the others, condolences with the passing of your father. A couple of things others have not mentioned :

Firstly, recording of images in the camera as either RAW (DNG or PEF file suffix) or JPG. Either will give good results, but RAW images require adjustment in the computer (known as Post Processing), whereas JPG are viewable Straight Out Of Camera (SOOC) on a computer screen or TV (with the appropriate connections, of course). The cameras record onto SDHC or SDXC cards of various sizes - you will probably find that 32 GB cards are more than enough.

Secondly - both these models are APSC. FF stands for Full Frame, using a sensor the same size as the 35mm film with which you are familiar. Digital FF cameras are more expensive than APSC, and not all lenses will give full frame coverage. The Pentax lens mount has not changed since the bayonet mount was introduced - what has changed is the amount of information transmitted to the camera as the lens and camera interface has become more 'sophisticated'. The links given should help you work your way through this, eventually.

Thirdly - I have no idea just how the Pentax naming convention works, I am afraid ! Maybe someone else can help you, or, if you study the information in the links, you may be able to work it out. If you do so, please let me know.

As has been said, it is a steep learning curve - the one great advantage of digital is that it is free to make mistakes, and you get instant feedback ! The image contains EXIF data, which records everything needed about the image - lens, aperture, shutter speed etc, so from that you can understand why some images are what you want, others not so. From this, you can understand what happened with your less than successful photos. Don't be afraid of making mistakes - or 'learning experiences', as they are also called. They happen - the thing is to understand why they happen, and how to avoid them. I am proud to say that I have not made any since yesterday.

Finally, you may want some software to help you with amending, altering and adjusting images. There are some extremely good free programs - ones which I use are FastStone, XnView and Irfanview. All have their own legitimate sites, and should only be downloaded from these sites. Other people will no doubt recommend their own personal choices.

Welcome to the Forum - enjoy your photography, and I agree, it is a wonderful and thoughtful way to keep your father's memory alive.

Tony
02-23-2022, 03:19 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello – I’m logged in as MrMagoo. This was my father’s account. He has sadly passed and I have inherited his computer stuff and camera equipment. In the early 1990’s he gave me a Pentax K-1000 35mm film camera and a couple of lenes. I used it quite a bit for a while, but film and developing got too expensive.
Long story short, I haven’t been around cameras for a long while until I got his.
Sad to hear he has passed away. Sorry for your loss.

Here what I received:
SMC Pentax DA 18-135mm
Promaster AF 28-105mm
The k-5ii is a good camera as is the k70. The k-5ii is an older pro series body with 16mp. The k70 is much newer and has 24mp but is the enthusiast/beginner camera series. In truth it’s a little less durable but probably makes slightly better images. That particular model has an issue that can develop after a while where the camera control of the aperture of a lens gets unreliable and eventually all shots are at the most stopped down aperture. There is a diy fix and if it happens we can point you towards it. Just be aware it is a possibility and don’t think you did something wrong if it happens.

I would suggest reading the e-book which you can buy as well as watching videos. Pentax eBook Downloads - Now on PF! (purchase here for instant access) - PentaxForums.com

Here’s the issue: I think I’m going to start taking pictures if nothing else to keep his memory alive.
The lenses you have should all work on both bodies.

Tamron 28-80 lens is an ok lens with nothing really special about it. I wouldn’t tend to use one if I owned the 18-135 you mentioned. It gives a normal to slight telephoto perspective. When used on a crop body it has a perspective similar to using a 45-125mm on your k1000. Here’s more info on that lens: Tamron 177D AF 28-80mm F/3.5-5.6 Aspherical Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

The Tamron 70-200 lens 1:2.8 is a very nice telephoto zoom that works well on both the crop cameras you have and the full frame cameras like the k-1. This is the lens to use for portraits and long shots and lower level lighting. This looks like the same range as if you were using a 105-300 on the k1000. More info here: Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD Macro Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

The Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 could be any one of several lenses. Most are good but not quite as high quality as the Tamron 70-200. None are as optically “fast” for low light scenarios as the Tamron - but all offer longer “reach” to photography subjects farther away. Similar to a 105-400 on a k1000 would look. More info here:
Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO Macro Super "goldline" Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG OS Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Sigma AF 70-300mm F4-5.6 DL Macro Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Sigma AF 70-300mm F4-5.6 DL Macro Super Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

This next lens, the SMC Pentax-F 80-200mm 1:4.7-5.6 is a basic telephoto zoom. Like the sigma only not as wide ranged. Similar to a 120-300 would look on your old k1000 when used on these crop cameras. More info here: SMC Pentax-F 80-200mm F4.7-5.6 Reviews - F Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

The SMC Pentax DA 18-135mm is a more modern lens. It only works on crop sensor cameras fully but provides a wide range similar to using a 28-200 on the k1000. More info here: SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

The Promaster AF 28-105mm is probably this lens: Promaster 28-105mm f/4.0-5.6 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database which has the look of what a 45-160mm lens on the k1000 would show. It’s a descent lens but awkward range unless used on a full frame camera where the 28mm is wider than on crop.

Thanks,
Hopefully we can get you help to have your own name here. Maybe Magoo2? Lol.

It is important to understand the focal length of these lenses are not changing - but the amount shown is narrower on these cropped sensor cameras. It is like you took a large window and put a frame over it that covered up parts of it. Thus to get a wide angle view you need a much shorter focal length, and telephoto views are narrower so they look like the same image you’d get from a longer lens but again focal length isn’t changed.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 02-23-2022 at 03:26 PM.
02-23-2022, 04:04 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Long story short, I haven’t been around cameras for a long while until I got his. Here what I received:
SMC Pentax DA 18-135mm
Promaster AF 28-105mm

Thanks,
Sorry about your Dad, he did leave you with some great equipment.

K-5 II is an excellent camera, though gettng a little older, the K-70 is a current camera, very capable. There is a camera comparison tool where you can bring any Pentax DSLRs up and compare the specs side by side, just to see the differences.

That Tamron 70-200 lens 1:2.8 is a very desired and well thought of modern lens. The SMC Pentax DA 18-135mm is also a well regarded modern lens and it is also Weather Resistant (WR), as are the two cameras. With a WR lens on a WR camera you don't need to worry about getting caught in the rain, or shooting in wet snow. I have had the Promaster AF 28-105mm and it is one of those hidden gems of a lens, meaning you can find them cheap but they perform well, that lens is actually made by Tamron and there is also an identical one badged as a Pentax.
02-23-2022, 08:13 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

@MrMagoo Please send me a PM to update your account details

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-24-2022, 05:32 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Sorry to hear about the passing of your father. But he has left you some nice photographic gear. The K5 II and the K70 are very capable APSC bodies. The K5 II was the flagship model when it ws introduced. The K70 is the current base model but has features way beyond what "base" models are expected to offer. You will find it has many fans here.

Nothing wrong with the Tamron 28-80 - it is a standard "everyday" zoom. But the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is a great telephoto lens. The "f2.8" refers to the maximum aperture That is as wide as they get in the 70-200 or 80-200 range. The Pentax DA 18-135 is also a very good lens and one of the better ones for walk-around use.

But check out the lens (and camera body) reviews here. That will tell you how good your kit is.

And welcome to the Forums!
Thank you all for your responses - I have a place to start digging in and refreshing what little photographic knowledge I have. The video is very helpful, thanks. I'll grab a camera and hit the streets and parks and see what happens. At least with digital all I have to do is erase the card.
Thanks again for the help and support... My father always said the nicest thing about a camera should be the person behind it. I completely understand.

MrMagoo(2)