Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2022, 08:22 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dionhouston Quote
Thanks, all I have to do is get something to use it a little more . But talk about a super small world -- I'm a native Ohioan... Born in Elyria. In fact, if you remember Loomis Camera there back in the day, that's sort of where my photographic journey started. My Dad was the manager there when I was little...
Small world indeed! And isn't it also the case that Ohioans wind up all over the place! (Surely not just 'cause they all want to leave...)
No, I'm not familiar with that one. Maybe the name sounds familiar at most, so maybe I've seen the storefront. I don't get out that way too much, although we used to go to see the fireworks from my uncle's pontoon boat he had docked in Lorain (quite the show).
I mostly knew DODD in Cleveland growing up, and sometimes Campus Camera in Kent. If you ever had any contact with the photography program at Tri-C in Parma, my mother was on the staff there for her whole career.
Anyways, glad to have you around here!

04-06-2022, 11:04 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have a cousin who lives in Parma I don't think she's really into photography though. Most of my family is a little further south in Medina County.

To be completely honest, I'm a bit of a fake Ohioan. "Native" is absolutely correct, but we moved to Washington when I was 9. But pretty soon I'm retiring from the military, and have to decide what I want to be when I grow up, and there are worse options.

Thanks a lot, and see you around...
04-07-2022, 04:29 PM   #18
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! Lucky you being stationed OCONUS, and from Sicily you could Space-A almost anywhere in Europe very easily.

QuoteOriginally posted by dionhouston Quote
It's hard for me to justify that for 40-year old lenses
Using good quality vintage glass on the K-1 really shows incredible results, most of the lenses I use on my own K-1 are older lenses. Even so, a used K-5 or K-3 purchased here on the forum will also provide you with a lot of satisfaction despite the crop factor.

I look forward to seeing your pictures.
04-07-2022, 10:39 PM   #19

Welcome from US of A!

04-07-2022, 11:39 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Welcome! Lucky you being stationed OCONUS, and from Sicily you could Space-A almost anywhere in Europe very easily.

Using good quality vintage glass on the K-1 really shows incredible results, most of the lenses I use on my own K-1 are older lenses. Even so, a used K-5 or K-3 purchased here on the forum will also provide you with a lot of satisfaction despite the crop factor.

I look forward to seeing your pictures.
Thanks! I've somehow managed to stay OCONUS since 2009. But I'm 2.5 years into my first and last European assignment. My job requires a fair amount of travel, so haven't done Space-A yet, but the Catania airport is really amazing. One flight almost anywhere.

I have pretty much seen the error of my ways, and I do plan on getting a K-1. As an Olympus user, I'm kind of used to bucking consumer trends, so if I'm going to go full-frame, makes perfect sense. I just have a couple lenses I need to pay off first. So for now, it's going to be film and adapting. Going to do some wides with the 20mm probably today.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

---------- Post added 04-07-22 at 11:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by eyeidea Quote
Welcome from US of A!
Thanks! It's cool these forums are pretty world-wide isn't it?
04-09-2022, 01:34 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome from Rome, Italy.

Enjoy the forums.