Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2007, 10:11 PM   #1
Inactive Account

New User fm MO - St Louis

Hello all
I have recently purchased my first dslr camera a K10D! Wow I really like this camera although I know absolutely nothing about Cameras or Photography prior to getting my camera. Here's what I have so far...

K10D
FA 1.4 50mm
DA 4-5.6 50-200mm
DA 3.5-5.6 18-55mm
AF-540FGZ Flash
Lightsphere II

Since I bot this all from someone who needed money really bad I think I got a good price. All items like NEW.

I am going to be doing a lot of reading here hopefully to learn about this camera and photography. I have the manual and have ordered the DVD.

My sister has already asked me to photograph her wedding for her. She is not having a photographer at all. So I guess I will be stuck doing it. although I do not feel comfortable at all. But she has already let me know that If I dont get shots its ok. So this is just a NOVICE thing Im doing here and she is not holding me accountable in any way. I'd like to get 1 or 2 good shots for her though.

Will the 50-200mm lens I have be to slow for a wedding in a church? I think it would be long enough. Seems like 2.8F is the choice for weddings? She is getting married in a church but I have no idea on the lighting. I would guess that I need a faster lens if shooting w/o a flash.

Anyway, I hope to learn as much as possible from all you professionals and long time amateurs!

Thanks Again
izzyinstl

03-14-2007, 06:19 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Izzy and welcome! I'm not a wedding photog at all so take all I'm saying with the proverbial grain of salt. First of all, start learning your camera. The K10D is a relatively complex camera, that's not to say it's difficult to take photos with, it's just that there are lots of options that can confuse a newcomer. I'd practice as much as possible before the wedding. Inside, outside, people, scenery whatever, just so you are fairly familiar with the camera. As far as lenses go, you might find the FA 50mm 1.4 to be your best in church lens. But I've never shot a wedding either (in fact it's been decades since I was even at a wedding!) So I don't know if it will be long enough. I sincerely doubt that the 50-200 will be fast enough inside a church. You might want to ask your wedding questions over on the dslr forum.

NaCl(welcome and enjoy your stay)H2O
03-14-2007, 06:31 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome!

wow, you really jump into something with both feet!
I am envious of your lenses collection

I do not know much about weddings, but I could say one thing without a doubt....
have another person with you to take some shots as well with there own camera as a backup.... even a point and shoot camera.
that way if one person's photos doesn't go great, the other person's might
to me it is extra insurance as the photos you are taking are once in a life time shots.... and you would never get a second chance at doing them again.
once you get a few weddings under your belt, then the confidence will build to a point you won't need the extra person.

of course this is just an opinion....

cheers and good luck

randy
03-14-2007, 06:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, Izzyinst!

Wow, you really landed yourself a camera. There are a few people here who shoot weddings professionally, so posting up a few questions in the DSLR area won't hurt.

Happy shooting!

03-14-2007, 09:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think only your 50mm is fast enough for inside the church, but it really depends on the lighting in the church. Anyway you could go before the wedding with your sister and take some test pictures? That will help you get to know the camera and the lenses a little better, and maybe even plan out a strategy with your sister about where to stand and what kind of pictures she might want.

I know there are a couple wedding photographers on the forum so hopefully they can help you out. You might also want to talk to the priest/minister to see if there are any restrictions on taking pictures. Somebody here said they were the photographer at the wedding and they were not allowed to take any pictures during the actual ceremony.