Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
04-18-2022, 07:03 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shoot film & digital pretty much equally.

For instance, while on Holiday I will take one film camera (K2, MZ-S or LX) and my K-1 digital camera, plus one set of lenses to use with both cameras.
I will shoot only film one day, only digital the next day, 72-100 shots/day. I alternate back and forth until the vacation ends or I run out of film

Using the film cameras conditions me to take my time with each shot, even with the digital K-1 in hand.

For my calendars which I give to Friends & Family, I will choose 6-7 film photos and 6-7 digital photos.
After someone has viewed a calendar, I ask if they noticed the photos were both film and digital.

Here are links to a past Year's calendar pictures:
:cool: Lets see those ''film'' shots - Page 1214 - PentaxForums.com
Post your K-1 pictures! - Page 1442 - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by Moe49; 04-18-2022 at 08:09 AM.
04-18-2022, 07:44 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Do I use a film camera? Yes, I do. Several. Two of them are Pentax ME Super, because I got that model from my grandfather, around 1990. Sometimes I use a Pentax ZX-50 with 4 AA-batteries. I also shoot wide film, 120 format, with a Pentacon Six and other cameras. I only use black and white film that I process myself.

See Film Cameras and Workflow - PentaxForums.com
04-18-2022, 08:35 AM   #18
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
No, I don't shoot film. I wasn't active photographer in film age and I don't have skills to edit film nor motivation to learn it. All in in digital photography.
04-18-2022, 09:23 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
No, I don't shoot film. I wasn't active photographer in film age and I don't have skills to edit film nor motivation to learn it. All in in digital photography.
We need to get you a film camera. I would lend you my spotmatic but it doesn't like anything less than 5°c lol (old grease). I have become a bit obsessed with film and my digital work is languishing a bit. Film is wonderful as you become obsessive about composition, particularly if you shoot square format. This carries over into digital (I hope, we will see when I next sic ). In my opinion though, the most satisfaction is to be gained when you develop and scan your images. With all the variables in film characters and how they react to different developers it is massively absorbing. In terms of IQ, compared to your K1 and your DFA 85mm, forget it lol, but in terms of image character when viewed from a reasonable distance, film is simply delicious

04-18-2022, 10:36 AM   #20
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
We need to get you a film camera. I would lend you my spotmatic but it doesn't like anything less than 5°c lol (old grease).
Despite rumours it rarely go below 5C during summer in here Still don't bother sending your spotmatic. Digital is my comfort zone and I do like my comforts
04-18-2022, 10:49 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome from New York City.
We have a small but active group of film users here.
Be sure to visit the forums Film Cameras and Workflow section.

Chris
04-18-2022, 10:51 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've not shot film for around a decade and the shots I took back then have not been developed, so I have no idea how they look. I have several rolls of unexposed film and three film cameras with which I could shoot it. My cameras are Petri FT with four prime lenses, a 2X TC and extension bellows; two Pentax K100 with four or five lenses, only one is a zoom, and one is a 50mm f1.4 and a 2X TC.

The film bug has been flying around me and tempting me but I just haven't allowed it to bite me very hard. The other hindrance I have is that film cameras are significantly heavier than DSLRs. As are the lenses. I guess I need to sit down and have an intelligent conversation with myself about using film again.

04-18-2022, 05:43 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just mailed in my first roll for processing since I stopped shooting film c. 2005. I really enjoyed shooting that roll. There was a level of deliberateness I haven't practiced in quite a while (even though I'm not the spray and pray type on digital at all). Looking forward to the results! Especially since I shot that roll over 6 months and I don't remember exactly what's on it. Part of the fun of film, right?
04-19-2022, 11:05 AM   #24

Welcome to the forum!

I have several film cameras (35mm SLRs and one 35mm point-and-shoot) and greatly prefer shooting with them as opposed to my DSLRs. While getting film processed is expensive and kind of a PITA, I still enjoy my mechanical film cameras much more than shooting digital, and I like the film images better.

I like my DSLRs too—they're great for taking pictures of my real cameras to show off on the internet.
04-19-2022, 02:25 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerald Monteiro Quote
Do you still use a film cameras or thinking about to start to use again?

I stopped to use film cameras almost 20 years ago...
As I did

but I kept my sfx film camera in working order for nostalgic reasons...
And recently acquired a bargain mz-5 in plastic silver with a matching lens, because it looks so dated nowadays... they both serve for an occasional "photo film" shoot.
And my daughter found and uses an old (seventies or earlier) fuji film camera just for fun (budget 35 € for camera & kit lens and Iadded 20 € for a tele lens). For the young generation the attraction is apparently in the fact that you have to wait to see the results on prints and for the film "look" (of kodak film)...

So, somehow film survives in a small niche, film is still produced, and ther are still develop labs ...
04-19-2022, 03:39 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
... The other hindrance I have is that film cameras are significantly heavier than DSLRs. As are the lenses....
That statement really jumped out at me.

My only digital camera, a Pentax K-1, is nearly twice as heavy as any one of my Pentax film cameras (plus bulkier),
with the sole exception of my Pentax 645N II.

K-1 - 1010 grams
MZ-S - 520
LX - 570
K1000 - 670
K2 - 680
SV - 600
ES II - 678
645N II - 1280

When I go out looking for interesting things to point my cameras at, I usually take one film camera (K2, MZ-S or LX) and the K-1 digital with me, plus one set of lenses compatible with both cameras.
The film cameras always feel lighter in my hands, or hanging from my neck, than the K-1.

Last edited by Moe49; 06-15-2022 at 02:45 PM.
04-19-2022, 04:47 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Moe49 Quote
That statement really jumped out at me.

My only digital camera, a Pentax K-1, is nearly twice as heavy (plus bulkier) as every one of my Pentax film cameras,
with the sole exception of my Pentax 645N II.

K-1 - 1010 grams
MZ-S - 520
LX - 570
K1000 - 670
K2 - 680
SV - 600
ES II - 678
645N II - 1280

When I go out to look for interesting things to point my cameras at, I usually have a film camera (K2, MZ-S or LX) and the K-1 digital with me, plus one set of lenses to use with both cameras.
The film camera always feels lighter in my hands, or hanging from my neck, than the K-1.
Are those weights body only or with a certain lens attached? I have two Pentax K1000 cameras but I was thinking of my Petri FT with a 400mm prime on it. The lens alone is heavier than my K-70 and I think the body is also. Unfortunately I do not have an accurate scale to weigh them and compare. Many of the older lenses have more metal in them, and same for older cameras compared to the digital, or so I've heard. Just for the sake of discussion.
04-20-2022, 08:43 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
Are those weights body only or with a certain lens attached?
Body only, with the values sourced from the "Pentax Camera Review" page here - Pentax Digital Cameras and Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
04-20-2022, 06:51 PM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Is nice to see many people still keeping the film cameras. For me digital cameras are more for fun. You take hundred pictures sometimes for nothing and always look for some miracle in a new release model. I used a Nikon F3P Press HP for a News Paper and magazine shots a long time ago and believe or not more than 15 years with the same camera without replace and until today you can find that workhorse camera body brand new in Japan for more than $1500 unbelievable. Film cameras are more like a good painted picture, you think a lot before to take a simple shot, different film brands, capacity, ASA, filters etc, digital is like a cell phone, you take photo of everything, no art essence like you paint a frame picture on the wall, just ordinary shots, just white balance, ISO and automatic A, Done.
04-20-2022, 11:14 PM - 2 Likes   #30
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerald Monteiro Quote
Is nice to see many people still keeping the film cameras. For me digital cameras are more for fun. You take hundred pictures sometimes for nothing and always look for some miracle in a new release model. I used a Nikon F3P Press HP for a News Paper and magazine shots a long time ago and believe or not more than 15 years with the same camera without replace and until today you can find that workhorse camera body brand new in Japan for more than $1500 unbelievable. Film cameras are more like a good painted picture, you think a lot before to take a simple shot, different film brands, capacity, ASA, filters etc, digital is like a cell phone, you take photo of everything, no art essence like you paint a frame picture on the wall, just ordinary shots, just white balance, ISO and automatic A, Done.
Digital involves all or most of the same artistic decisions as film... Instead of film brands, we deal with icc or dcp input and output profiles; ASA... we set ISO on our cameras; we still use filters in front of the lens (polarisers, ND etc.) but also apply them in post-processing; etc. The key differences with digital are the level of in-camera automation available, and the huge, inexpensive storage capacity. We can still shoot in fully or semi manual modes, though, and we can limit ourselves to 36 shots per SD card if we so wish. There's nothing to stop us shooting our digital cameras as if they were film... It's about choices