Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
04-21-2022, 07:00 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Good point of view, but if you live in that times you probably understand better. Is not only nostalgic, is like a good Patek Philippe against a Chinese plastic watch.

---------- Post added 04-21-22 at 07:04 PM ----------

I loved that Pentax camera. I remember when I saw for the first time all black, beautiful like a Rolex watch. I wish I had one in that time. Thanks for your post.

04-21-2022, 10:07 PM - 2 Likes   #32
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerald Monteiro Quote
Good point of view, but if you live in that times you probably understand better. Is not only nostalgic, is like a good Patek Philippe against a Chinese plastic watch.

---------- Post added 04-21-22 at 07:04 PM ----------

I loved that Pentax camera. I remember when I saw for the first time all black, beautiful like a Rolex watch. I wish I had one in that time. Thanks for your post.
I think I understand well enough...

I was born in the late 1960s, grew up in the '70s & '80s when, for the most part, decent cameras were still built like tanks and used film. Shortwave radio listening and, eventually, ham radio were early hobbies of mine, and I used mostly older valve-based or valve / solid-state hybrid equipment in heavy-duty, all-metal cabinets (in later years I owned some modern radios, but continued to prefer the older equipment). Over the years, I've owned a few classic cars from the 1960s and loved their relative simplicity and minimal use of plastics. Today, in addition to my digital photography gear, I own and use a number of film cameras from the 1950s - 1990s. I collect vintage (1950s onwards) lenses from the former Soviet Union. So... I understand the nostalgia, and the preference for heavy-duty, well-made, mostly-metal, mechanical / electro-mechanical products rather than modern, complex electronic ones that rely on a lot of synthetic materials... and I do think there's a real difference in the way digital imaging sensors respond to light versus film. But the process of shooting and processing digital photos can be just as skilful as shooting and developing film, if you choose manual modes and apply the same principles and techniques.

High-end DSLR / mirrorless cameras and lenses are still well made, albeit from modern materials such as alloys and plastics (the K-1II and K-3III, for example, are extremely solid and well-finished). They're manufactured to much the same quality standards as most other electronic goods in their price range. It's nothing to do with digital photography, it's just a simple fact of modern manufacturing techniques and materials that are essential in creating affordable products. Cheaper digital cameras are generally of lower build quality than more expensive models... but that was the case with film, too. There were plenty of lower quality film cameras - and wristwatches, for that matter - back in "the good old days". Not everyone shot a Leica, and far fewer wore a Patek Philippe... These were always premium products that most couldn't afford. Nostalgia tends to conveniently forget that...

It's fine to prefer the "look" of film as a medium, the materials and build quality of (some) film gear and its functional simplicity, and the tactile analogue processes and workflow of shooting and developing film. But to dismiss digital as somehow less skilful because of automation that's largely optional in use is to do it - and those who embrace it - a great disservice, IMHO. Digital isn't better or worse than film - it's just different, and it can require as much knowledge and skill as film. The artistic fundamentals of subject, lighting, composition and story-telling are just the same, as are the technical fundamentals of exposure, depth-of-field and motion...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-22-2022 at 02:10 AM.
04-21-2022, 11:29 PM   #33
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Digital involves all or most of the same artistic decisions as film... Instead of film brands, we deal with icc or dcp input and output profiles; ASA... we set ISO on our cameras; we still use filters in front of the lens (polarisers, ND etc.) but also apply them in post-processing; etc. The key differences with digital are the level of in-camera automation available, and the huge, inexpensive storage capacity. We can still shoot in fully or semi manual modes, though, and we can limit ourselves to 36 shots per SD card if we so wish. There's nothing to stop us shooting our digital cameras as if they were film... It's about choices
Exactly - and it is entirely possible to take crap photos with a film camera - my parents had/have boxes of them as proof.

I really thought we had gone beyond the "shooting with film is just better/more artistic/has more soul" non-argument but apparently not.
04-21-2022, 11:40 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do shot film using Leica II turned into SLR (Zenit 3M) but very rarely, for some special personal projects when I want to use my precious time for all the process just to feel like in old good days when I was young and everything was slower and more funny then today.

Depending on what I want to photograph I either use Fomapan film and develop and print on baryte paper myself or if it is very very special then one of my stocked Kodak BW400CN films. Maybe I should use Kodak more as C41 labs are vanishing and I may end with film I cannot develop. Nevermind.

But anything else that this I am using digital. There is little reason those days to go film other then nostalgia. Chemicals are not very healthy, it is expensive, good film is very hard to get, good paper even harder. Have I mentioned that it is expensive? No? It is expensive.

04-22-2022, 07:16 AM   #35
Site Supporter

I have a freezer full of film in various formats including medium and 110.
04-25-2022, 05:02 PM   #36
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Many Brands start to make more a digital cameras with the nostalgic 50"s 60's and 70;s film style models. Some brands like Leica, Nikon, Canon, Fujifilm and Olympus has beautiful models with that old design. Many of them, has metal construction almost 80%. Fuji with X-Pro models bring the beautiful rangefinder design, follow by Olympus with the Pen F and Canon with EOS M6 Mark II.
Attached Images