Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2022, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #1

Hi all from Ukraine

Hi all,
Greetings from Ukraine!

Having old 35 mm cameras like Zenit and Minolta. Would like to use those more.
Want to understand for example if it makes sense to scan 35mm home. and other things.

05-11-2022, 08:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forums!
I don't currently shoot film myself, but I know that some people scan 35mm negatives (or slides) with a DSLR and (typically) a macro lens. If you have a DSLR, that may be a good route to go, versus buying a dedicated scanner.
05-11-2022, 09:56 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello Anton and welcome,

As wadge22 mentioned, a DSLR might be an alternative for you. You can buy a pretty good digital SLR for the cost of a scanner. No more needs for film - just recharging a battery though you still need a means of printing from files if that's what you want. In addition to taking photos, it can be used to "scan" your existing slides or negatives using a copy setup.

Film has some advantages too (one in that you can continue to use your existing cameras and their lenses) and if you go that route, you might want to look at eBay for scanners. Keep in mind that the "native" resolution is what counts, not the advertised resolution (which might be drawn from interpolation of a lower resolution scan). Scanning is not too involved but can take some time depending on the speed of your scanner. I have a lot of film and the time factor is what keeps me from doing all the scans needed. With digital, it's done when you snap the picture (and SD cards hold a lot of photos).

In either case, you end up with a digital file and go from there with your chosen method of viewing or printing. With either, it helps to have some form of photo-processing software to allow you to improve on those files and make any needed corrections (color, contrast, etc.)
05-11-2022, 10:17 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland, I do hope you and yours are all OK, with all that's happening there.

05-11-2022, 02:07 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by anton.sn Quote
Hi all,
Greetings from Ukraine!

Having old 35 mm cameras like Zenit and Minolta. Would like to use those more.
Want to understand for example if it makes sense to scan 35mm home. and other things.
Welcome! I hope you and yours remain safe.

I have a dedicated scanner;
I tried copying slides and negatives when I had a film camera, and I find real scanning to work much better.
05-11-2022, 02:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum! Greetings from Greece!
05-12-2022, 02:03 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Hello Anton and welcome,

As wadge22 mentioned, a DSLR might be an alternative for you. You can buy a pretty good digital SLR for the cost of a scanner. No more needs for film - just recharging a battery though you still need a means of printing from files if that's what you want. In addition to taking photos, it can be used to "scan" your existing slides or negatives using a copy setup.

Film has some advantages too (one in that you can continue to use your existing cameras and their lenses) and if you go that route, you might want to look at eBay for scanners. Keep in mind that the "native" resolution is what counts, not the advertised resolution (which might be drawn from interpolation of a lower resolution scan). Scanning is not too involved but can take some time depending on the speed of your scanner. I have a lot of film and the time factor is what keeps me from doing all the scans needed. With digital, it's done when you snap the picture (and SD cards hold a lot of photos).

In either case, you end up with a digital file and go from there with your chosen method of viewing or printing. With either, it helps to have some form of photo-processing software to allow you to improve on those files and make any needed corrections (color, contrast, etc.)
Thanks a lot!
I just bought a Minolta x700 camera for 20 Euros which I fixed and I already found reflecta proscan 7200 (resolution of 3600 dpi ) scanner that was gathering dust, but I still do not know what is actually better :
- scan at home.
- scan at lab
- or direct print in lab (in lab they told me they scan it anyway before printing)

I think I give it a try and see the differences.

Last edited by anton.sn; 05-12-2022 at 02:09 AM.
05-12-2022, 02:05 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Welcome! I hope you and yours remain safe.

I have a dedicated scanner;
I tried copying slides and negatives when I had a film camera, and I find real scanning to work much better.
Thanks a lot for you wishes!
Do you think this scanner is goog enough so I do not need to scan at lab? , https://www.ephotozine.com/article/reflecta-proscan-7200-film-scanner-review-17343
05-12-2022, 07:21 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by anton.sn Quote
Thanks a lot!
I just bought a Minolta x700 camera for 20 Euros which I fixed and I already found reflecta proscan 7200 (resolution of 3600 dpi ) scanner that was gathering dust, but I still do not know what is actually better :
- scan at home.
- scan at lab
- or direct print in lab (in lab they told me they scan it anyway before printing)

I think I give it a try and see the differences.
That's the best way to find out. There will be a lot of variations between labs and some are better than others, but making comparisons will give you something to judge by. I'm not familiar with the Proscan but 3600dpi is pretty good and should work well compared to some scanning services. Use some enlargements for comparisons, as these will bring out scanning deficiencies more than small prints. Good luck with your photography work.
05-12-2022, 02:45 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to Pentax Forums.
05-12-2022, 04:51 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome from Denver Colorado.
05-12-2022, 05:02 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums