Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
06-10-2022, 11:42 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Hello from prospective mirror less convert

Hi,
I am currently using the micro four thirds system, but am interested to also potentially have an ovf camera system. Since Pentax is the only company interested in staying OVF going into the future, I'm trying to work up the nerve to sink money into running two different systems. Which as a hobbyist doesn't sound that wise. I have been eyeing a used 50-135 2.8 and old body as an alternative to the super pricey Olympus 40-150 2.8, to try and justify the move into Pentax.

We'll see how it goes. Hopefully a new Pentax obsession won't send me to the poorhouse.

06-11-2022, 12:32 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Besides the OVF, there is another thing to consider when making such a move. It is crop factor. If you get an APS-C body, it will change from 2 to 1.5 (relative to 35mm full-frame).

The two lenses that you mention are not direct equivalents because of this. Applying the crop factors, the Pentax equates to 75-203mm f/4.2 and the Olympus to 80-300mm f/5.6. The f numbers mentioned relate to depth of field only - exposure stays the same.

The Pentax will therefore have less reach but also less depth of field. In the latter case, less is more - as in more control over blurring backgrounds. The reasons (and math) for that are a topic all of its own and I will not go into it now.

All the best with your endeavors.

Last edited by Wasp; 06-11-2022 at 12:45 AM.
06-11-2022, 01:49 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A bold decision , not a poor one. Welcome to the forum and hopefully to Pentax.
06-11-2022, 04:21 AM   #4
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forums from Australia. Expanding into Pentax, at least you would be poor for all the right reasons.

06-11-2022, 06:37 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by poordecisions Quote
Hi,
I am currently using the micro four thirds system, but am interested to also potentially have an ovf camera system. Since Pentax is the only company interested in staying OVF going into the future, I'm trying to work up the nerve to sink money into running two different systems. Which as a hobbyist doesn't sound that wise. I have been eyeing a used 50-135 2.8 and old body as an alternative to the super pricey Olympus 40-150 2.8, to try and justify the move into Pentax.

We'll see how it goes. Hopefully a new Pentax obsession won't send me to the poorhouse.
At one time I had m43, Pentax APSC, and Sony Full Frame gear. All three required care and feeding and knowledge and time to use. I sold the m43 gear this past year due to attempting to reduce complexity and duplication. I only have two systems now rather than three - and the Sony is due to my 80+ year old dad - to share gear and experiences with him.

As much as I like Pentax, I’d suggest you stick to one platform. So unless you plan to divest from m43 - I would stick to that system. The exception would be if you find m43 can’t do something you really want to do. Pentax makes great cameras and lenses, and there are advantages to apsc over m43, but I doubt the differences are stark enough to make it worth the duplication unless you find specific shortcomings in the m43 system that Pentax fits.
If I hadn’t enjoyed ovf and had a large amount of Pentax experience, history, and gear I might have ditched Pentax and kept m43 and Sony FF. In a similar way if you want ovf i suggest looking at the k-1 and full frame gear rather than apsc since the two formats (m43 and apsc) have larger differences (depth of field, sensor performance, size, weight).

On the other hand gear is fun for many people including me. I am glad I used m43 as I think it gave me more perspective. You may enjoy Pentax apsc in a similar way. Just beware it’s a rabbit hole that can swallow time and money you could use to take more images…
06-11-2022, 08:03 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by poordecisions Quote
. . . We'll see how it goes. Hopefully a new Pentax obsession won't send me to the poorhouse.
no promises but I have had good luck in getting " experienced " equipment from fellow members via the forums' marketplace

it can be sorted by country:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/?security...d+States&all=1

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Besides the OVF, there is another thing to consider when making such a move. It is crop factor. If you get an APS-C body, it will change from 2 to 1.5 (relative to 35mm full-frame). . . .

All the best with your endeavors.
this is a good article to review regarding that

QuoteQuote:
The Crop Factor Unmasked
Field of View vs Focal Length on various formats
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on Jul 23, 2014

Read more at: The Crop Factor Unmasked - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 06-11-2022 at 08:10 AM.
06-11-2022, 02:08 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax Forums.

06-11-2022, 11:49 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
no promises but I have had good luck in getting " experienced " equipment from fellow members via the forums' marketplace

it can be sorted by country:

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses (United States) - PentaxForums.com

this is a good article to review regarding that

Read more at: The Crop Factor Unmasked - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
How do I change marketplace to UK only?
06-12-2022, 01:06 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
How do I change marketplace to UK only?
On the bar above the listings, click "Thread filtering options"

Bottom left(ish) amongst the options is "item location". Set to UK and then click the sort thread button.

I don't know if this can be set permanently, though.
06-12-2022, 03:52 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nicolpa47 Quote
. . . I don't know if this can be set permanently, though.
I don't think it can be

I have to set the search for the United States each time
06-12-2022, 07:10 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On the bar above the listings, click "Thread filtering options"

Bottom left(ish) amongst the options is "item location". Set to UK and then click the sort thread button.

I don't know if this can be set permanently, though.
Its also only an option on the desktop browser. It isn't there on the mobile.
06-12-2022, 07:45 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Its also only an option on the desktop browser. It isn't there on the mobile.
Sorry, I'm afraid I didn't know that, 'cos I use the desktop version on my mobile.
06-12-2022, 09:08 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry, I'm afraid I didn't know that, 'cos I use the desktop version on my mobile.
Lol yeah I have moved from a tablet to a macbook for processing and posting. Its surprising how many obscure and unexpected differences there are in terms of functionality. I followed your guidance though, it worked a treat. The list of sale items went from very long to very very short lol. There is little point in buying from outside the UK as customs add 20%+fees to everything over £32, ouch!
06-12-2022, 10:02 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Lol yeah I have moved from a tablet to a macbook for processing and posting. Its surprising how many obscure and unexpected differences there are in terms of functionality. I followed your guidance though, it worked a treat. The list of sale items went from very long to very very short lol. There is little point in buying from outside the UK as customs add 20%+fees to everything over £32, ouch!
I know exactly what you mean on all counts. I've noticed that some desktop website translate to a mobile with just a little inconvenience whilst others are unusable. I've used pcs for over 30 years so tend to default to a laptop, particularly for financial things as I think it's too easy to make errors on a touch screen mobile. It's partly just me, and partly an age thing, but my background was accountancy and I know how easy it can be to make errors in keying.

It is a very short UK sales list, sadly, but I do check it when it crosses my mind. There was something on there for a period, but I didn't want to commit at the time. Before Brexit, I'd bought non-photographic items from Europe without any real concern - if I were doing the same today, I'd be reading the small print !!
06-12-2022, 02:45 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know exactly what you mean on all counts. I've noticed that some desktop website translate to a mobile with just a little inconvenience whilst others are unusable. I've used pcs for over 30 years so tend to default to a laptop, particularly for financial things as I think it's too easy to make errors on a touch screen mobile. It's partly just me, and partly an age thing, but my background was accountancy and I know how easy it can be to make errors in keying.

It is a very short UK sales list, sadly, but I do check it when it crosses my mind. There was something on there for a period, but I didn't want to commit at the time. Before Brexit, I'd bought non-photographic items from Europe without any real concern - if I were doing the same today, I'd be reading the small print !!
Me too. My tessar came from Portugal, my 40mm limited from France, but now ..... We aren't allowed to be political on here but I am sure you know exactly what I mean by AAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!! ..... *sniff*