Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2022, 03:21 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by poordecisions Quote
Hi,
I am currently using the micro four thirds system, but am interested to also potentially have an ovf camera system. Since Pentax is the only company interested in staying OVF going into the future, I'm trying to work up the nerve to sink money into running two different systems. Which as a hobbyist doesn't sound that wise. I have been eyeing a used 50-135 2.8 and old body as an alternative to the super pricey Olympus 40-150 2.8, to try and justify the move into Pentax.

We'll see how it goes. Hopefully a new Pentax obsession won't send me to the poorhouse.
I’m not sure about the connection between “hobby” and “wise”, however the 50-135/2.8 is a very good lens, particularly so as it compares favourably to a range of prime lenses, so that would be a “wise” purchase. I’d couple it to a good used K-3 or K-3ii to get the best out of it without splurging on a new K-3iii (although that may come later, so don’t rush to try one too soon, as that could be seen as “unwise”).

In the meantime, welcome to Pentax Forums and enjoy the camaraderie. There’s a great deal of knowledge here on Pentax (and other) systems, and good people who are willing to share it.

06-12-2022, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi,
I am currently using the micro four thirds system, but am interested to also potentially have an ovf camera system. Since Pentax is the only company interested in staying OVF going into the future, I'm trying to work up the nerve to sink money into running two different systems. Which as a hobbyist doesn't sound that wise. I have been eyeing a used 50-135 2.8 and old body as an alternative to the super pricey Olympus 40-150 2.8, to try and justify the move into Pentax.

We'll see how it goes. Hopefully a new Pentax obsession won't send me to the poorhouse.
Why doesn't running multiple systems sound wise as a hobbyist? As a hobbyist you only have to justify the cost of your hobby to yourself.
There is no business plan required as a hobbyist. There are no accountants looking over your shoulder telling you to justify every penny you spend.

The nice thing about being a hobbyist is that you can see something and say to yourself " shiny, want, can afford, will buy".
Or, "shiny, want, can't afford, so sad".
It's that simple.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 06-12-2022 at 06:53 PM.
06-12-2022, 08:35 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Hi,

I think you'll get better responses if you explain what you'll use the camera for. I have the 50-135mm and have found it to be a very good lens optically, one of the best performing I have. However I would only recommend it for some applications, not others.
06-12-2022, 09:31 PM   #19

Original Poster
Thanks to all who responded, it is interesting to see everybody's different takes on things. I think I may actually try and pursue UncleVanya's suggestion and eventually invest in the full-frame Pentax system, just to provide a bigger separation in technical abilities, and size, between my m43 setup and any potential new system. This was actually my original intent, but as I was looking through used prices, I was struck by how numerous and [relatively] cheap the APS-C Pentax lenses are and got a little carried away. Used 50-135s seem especially good deals. I presume this is because of the SDM motor failure rate. I know about the screw conversion, so the SDM motor issue didn't bother me..

To address a some of the other comments, I am/was looking at the fast 70-200ish equivalents mainly as portrait lens + occasional very close range suburban animals I may encounter. I am aware of the whole "equivalency" issue, though m43's lesser depth of field has never really bothered me too much, and its noise and resolution has not caused me too great bother in actual practice. However the knowledge of m43's deficiencies does cause me to have trouble biting the bullet on the real expensive $1000+ lenses.

Anyway, thanks again for the welcome. Although my desire to immediately jump in as been temporarily relieved, I will continue to lurk around here, waiting for a K-1 III with the new AF from the K-3 III to be released - so that I may buy an earlier K-1 more cheaply.

06-13-2022, 01:56 AM - 1 Like   #20
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, if you end running dual systems you're doing well!

Many here truly run multiple systems... myself included, in order to get the job done.
06-13-2022, 08:21 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Hi,

Be careful of used lenses with SDM motors like the 50-135mm - the motors are prone to failure that can be costly to fix.
06-13-2022, 09:58 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! I've been using Pentax and/or m4:3 for many years. I'm currently using K-s2 + eM1. I'm a big fan of the k-5 series, but the K-s2 has a few nice bonus features and only a small step down on battery size and overall build/feel.

Love the K primes, on either body!

06-14-2022, 05:10 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks to all who responded, it is interesting to see everybody's different takes on things. I think I may actually try and pursue UncleVanya's suggestion and eventually invest in the full-frame Pentax system, just to provide a bigger separation in technical abilities, and size, between my m43 setup and any potential new system. This was actually my original intent, but as I was looking through used prices, I was struck by how numerous and [relatively] cheap the APS-C Pentax lenses are and got a little carried away. Used 50-135s seem especially good deals. I presume this is because of the SDM motor failure rate. I know about the screw conversion, so the SDM motor issue didn't bother me..

To address a some of the other comments, I am/was looking at the fast 70-200ish equivalents mainly as portrait lens + occasional very close range suburban animals I may encounter. I am aware of the whole "equivalency" issue, though m43's lesser depth of field has never really bothered me too much, and its noise and resolution has not caused me too great bother in actual practice. However the knowledge of m43's deficiencies does cause me to have trouble biting the bullet on the real expensive $1000+ lenses.

Anyway, thanks again for the welcome. Although my desire to immediately jump in as been temporarily relieved, I will continue to lurk around here, waiting for a K-1 III with the new AF from the K-3 III to be released - so that I may buy an earlier K-1 more cheaply.
If you have the money and interest running multiple systems can be fun but it can also be expensive. The Pentax apsc primes are quite good and fun. The ones longer than the 21mm mostly work well on full frame also. So if you think a Pentax full frame is in the future, and primes are your focus, you can start with an apsc body. The price of the apsc primes is really reasonable as well.
06-15-2022, 02:51 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
If you have the money and interest running multiple systems can be fun but it can also be expensive. The Pentax apsc primes are quite good and fun. The ones longer than the 21mm mostly work well on full frame also. So if you think a Pentax full frame is in the future, and primes are your focus, you can start with an apsc body. The price of the apsc primes is really reasonable as well.
I think the only DA Limiteds that work well on FF are the 40mm and the 70mm.

Having multiple systems can be fun and expensive, but if you find a system that does everything you need it to then it may not be necessary. Most people only have one system on the go at any one time, but then most people are happy with a digital Rebel and kit lens.
06-15-2022, 02:57 AM   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
. . . . The Pentax apsc primes are quite good and fun. The ones longer than the 21mm mostly work well on full frame also.. . .
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I think the only DA Limiteds that work well on FF are the 40mm and the 70mm.. . ..
there is an article on that:

QuoteQuote:

Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test
Which DA lenses cover the full 24x36 mm frame?
By PF Staff in Gear Guides on Jan 7, 2019
Read more at: Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 06-15-2022 at 03:02 AM.
06-15-2022, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the only DA Limiteds that work well on FF are the 40mm and the 70mm.

Having multiple systems can be fun and expensive, but if you find a system that does everything you need it to then it may not be necessary. Most people only have one system on the go at any one time, but then most people are happy with a digital Rebel and kit lens.
The DA 35 macro limited is the only other DA limited above 21mm, but there are non-limited DA primes such as the plastic fantastics DA 35/2.4, DA 50/1.8 and the DA* 55/1.4. Generally speaking the DA primes over 21mm offer largely full frame results - albeit not perfect coverage.
06-18-2022, 09:29 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forums!
06-19-2022, 02:35 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Be careful of used lenses with SDM motors like the 50-135mm - the motors are prone to failure that can be costly to fix.
Fortunately, most of those lenses have been replaced by lenses with better motors.

Basically you are talking about the original DA * lenses and even there the 16-50 plm has replaced the DA *16-50. The newer DA zooms have either DC or PLM motors and the DFA lens motors are all OK as well.
06-26-2022, 01:49 PM   #29

Witam
Ja też przeszedłem do Pentax prosto z micro 4/3 (OMD 10II i OMD 5II) Ma to swoje plusy i minusy ... lecz na moje potrzeby fotograficzne to większość plusów jest w Pentax...

Hello
I also switched to Pentax straight from micro 4/3 (OMD 10II and OMD 5II) It has its pros and cons ... but for my photographic needs most of the pluses are at Pentax ...

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 06-26-2022 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Translation added